Grand Princess Excursion questions

MiBoater

Hi everyone!

This forum is so great! I'm just finding a wealth of information to help our cruise be fun and exciting!

As I have posted on other threads, we are traveling on the Grand, March 31 with 11 people (6 kids 10-14).

Do any of the Ports of call have decent beaches within walking distance or do we have to taxi/tour to get to them.

I did look at the Paradise Beach in Cozumel, that looks like a place that the kids would enjoy, however, it looks like it could get REALLY busy. Are their any places in ANY/ALL ports that have quiet SAFE beaches?

What do you mean by "Safe?" Safe for swimming and snorkeling, or just a place where the kids will not get too much of an, umm, education? :)

Costa Maya has a great beach in Majahual. Lots of people take their kids there. It costs $3 to take the bus from the cruise port to the village, which is about 1-1/2 miles away. It's another $2 to take the taxi back. There are cantinas on the beach where you can get food and drinks. Prices are reasonable. Princess also does some "beach break" tours. I think you'll be okay in Majahual...it's a really pretty beach.

What do you mean by "Safe?" Safe for swimming and snorkeling, or just a place where the kids will not get too much of an, umm, education? :)

Costa Maya has a great beach in Majahual. Lots of people take their kids there. It costs $3 to take the bus from the cruise port to the village, which is about 1-1/2 miles away. It's another $2 to take the taxi back. There are cantinas on the beach where you can get food and drinks. Prices are reasonable. Princess also does some "beach break" tours. I think you'll be okay in Majahual...it's a really pretty beach.

Hi Spongerob!

As far as "Safe" goes, I mean not getting robbed or anything like that.

I'd like a good sandy beach and clear blue water.

As far as too much education, THAT could be a problem too?!? I really don't want to bring my kids to a beach that they could see too much, because my SONS would SAY too much!

Could not agree more with Rob. We were in Costa Maya/Majahual a little over two weeks ago and it was a delightful place. Our group of eight had a terrific lunch right on the beach and when we were ready it was only a $2 taxi ride back to the ship.

Mike:)

On the Ports of Call section of this board, there is mention that in Roatan all of the beaches are infested with fleas. Is that true? Have any of you experienced that?

We used an insect repellent as suggested in the port guides and had no problems.

We went on the ship's tour to Playa Mia Beach Club in Cozumel. We had the cooking tour, but it looked as if the beach club would be fine all by itself. Taxis are regulated, and there is a big sign at the beach club showing the price for a cab to the pier. There are various packages, depending on whether you want drinks included or not.

Here are some pics:

Playa Mia Beach Club

As you can see there are plenty of bikinis for your boys to enjoy, but I saw nothing inappropriate -- no topless!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Wish we'd known that. We all picked up some nasty bites that took a long time to heal at Roatan. They seem to go after the feet and ankles.

Wow, sorry about that Rob. Do you think it was from a particular place/beach in Roatan?

We picked up the little travel size container of "OFF" in the "Calypso Cove" store where they sell the booze.

Hi everyone!

This forum is so great! I'm just finding a wealth of information to help our cruise be fun and exciting!

As I have posted on other threads, we are traveling on the Grand, March 31 with 11 people (6 kids 10-14).

Do any of the Ports of call have decent beaches within walking distance or do we have to taxi/tour to get to them.

I did look at the Paradise Beach in Cozumel, that looks like a place that the kids would enjoy, however, it looks like it could get REALLY busy. Are their any places in ANY/ALL ports that have quiet SAFE beaches?

We are on the same cruise...sailing with two kids 14 and almost 13. I was happy to see that you have a few children in that age bracket. We are doing the Costa Maya Beach Break resort on that day. That and the Cavetubing in Belize are the only "organized" tours we are taking...

Wow, sorry about that Rob. Do you think it was from a particular place/beach in Roatan?

Hard to say. We hired a taxi and made several stops. Could have been anywhere. They were similar to chigger bites that we get here, so it could even have been something living in the tall grass, not necessarily something off a beach.

I have spent a couple of weeks diving on Roatan a few years ago. The bugs are called no see ums. They are mostly in the sand and way worse at dusk. Standard repellent does work and if it is still around Avon skin so soft was the best thing because of its oily base.

Hi everyone!

We have sailed The Grand twice, last time with our dd18. We love the ship and there is plenty to do both on board and in the ports.

Costa Maya- I agree with another poster that the best bed in CM is to take a taxi from the peir and go to Majahaul. The taxi tickets are purchased at the entrance to the port area. The cost is $5 rt. We spent a wonderful day at Pez Quadro (located at the end of the dirt road). The beach was wonderful and relaxing. We took a bit of time and shopped along the dirt road in Majahaul and looked around the port area at the many shops. The ship offers a beach break tour but you can easily do this on your own for a fraction of the cost.

Belize- I would book an excursion with a reputable tour guide if you decide to venture out of the secured port area. We enjoy the large port area in Belize, with the shops, music and restaurant/bar area. Some CC members on the ship went to Cay Caulker and loved it, others went Cave Tubing with yhonny.

Roatan- Lots of beaches but I read that sand fleas were a problem. We booked with Bodden tours (boddentours.com) for 25pp we had a driver for the day. He took us to Fantasy Island to see the spider monkeys and other native wildlife, Iguana Farm ($5 pp extra), shipwreck, some people in our group snorkeled (15pp extra), zip lining ($45pp extra). We ended the day with lunch at a local beachfront restaurant. The island is beautiful and 25pp was a bargain for the day.

Cozumel- Lots of beach and shopping opportunities. We toured Tulum ruins the first time we were in Coz. It was interesting but horribly hot in Feb. I cant imagine how hot it would be closer to summer. I dont know how interesting kids would be in the tour. Some others in our group snorkeled a Cenote, while others did the Atlantis Sub.

Archived