Fantasy Only Questions ...

canner2u

ok i lied one more walmart ? are they open 24hrs and if so do the stop selling liquior at a certain hour? we will be stoping between 10 and 11pm?

Both are open 24 hours a day.

Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #553

39142 Natchez Drive

Slidell, LA 70461

(985) 641-8572

Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #2665

167 Northshore Blvd.

Slidell, LA 70460

(985) 690-0123

Dave

We cruise on the Fantasy on Jan. 3rd and will be NO the day before. Has anyone ever eaten at the Cajun Cabin on Bourbon Street? We will be eating there after a day at the D-Day museum. My son is 16 and we will eat here around 5:30 or so. Will Bourbon Street be o.k. at that time of day for my son? If we take the trolley, how close to Cajun Cabin does it drop off?

I've eaten there before. It was good and cheap. Bourbon Street should be OK, but watch the 'nude' signs, etc. They are always there. I am not sure about the trolley.

Both are open 24 hours a day.

Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #553

39142 Natchez Drive

Slidell, LA 70461

(985) 641-8572

Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #2665

167 Northshore Blvd.

Slidell, LA 70460

(985) 690-0123

Dave

After Karinia the wal-marts had reduced hours of operation. I do not know if they are back to 24 hours or not. Perhaps a phone call will set your mind at ease.

Also, keep in mind the grocery stores here also sell "hard" liquor, berr and most have an extensive wine selection. Better than Wal-Mart. Of course, they have cold beer. As far as do they quit selling at certain hours, NO, if they are open they will sell it. They do however frown on onsite comsumption. On Sundays the local Winn-Dixie grocery store alot of times will have wine tasting for free.

JimmyJames (Slidell, La.)

Thanks Jetskier for the advisory on Bourbon street. We will be driving in from Georgia and will spend the afternoon and evening in NO before our cruise. We have a 9-year-old son and my wife and I want to see the French Quarter but don't need to give our boy too much of an "education." We might just drive Bourbon while he is still zoned out on the DVD player like he always is on long drives. Looks like Canal Street and Jackson Square should be good for family style walking tours. Any other suggestions?

I read somewhere that there was a restauraunt with a don't-miss breakfast. Ring any bells? We're staying near the pier and want to grab a good bite befoe we board. Where's good?

We also want a good dinner the night before our cruise. What is the best cajun seafood restaurant in NO?

I read somewhere that there was a restauraunt with a don't-miss breakfast. Ring any bells? We're staying near the pier and want to grab a good bite befoe we board. Where's good?

We also want a good dinner the night before our cruise. What is the best cajun seafood restaurant in NO?

Breakfast

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=664411

Dinner

Hmm Don't know any suggestions. A lot of threads seem to like Acme Oyster house.

Snack

you should go to Cafe Du Monde and get some Beignets and coffee or hot chocolate! There is one in the Quarter and one in the Riverwalk mall.

My vote for dinner is GUMBO SHOP! It's so much better than Acme. Get the Combination Plate - it's $11 or so and includes red beans and rice, jambalaya, and chrimp creole. The blackened fish nuggets are a great appetizer. Just skip dessert and head to Cafe du Monde for some beignets - or have a Hurricane or Hand Grenade for dessert instead (at Pat O's or Tropical Isle).

Hey guys - I have a Fantasy question (hard to believe, but true). We're doing our first FOUR DAY cruise next month, and I'm wondering if the 4 day cruise is indeed more of a "party" atmosphere than 5 or 7 day cruises, or is it pretty similar to the 5 day? We're taking a couple who have never cruised before, and I'm just wondering what to expect.

Hey guys - I have a Fantasy question (hard to believe, but true). We're doing our first FOUR DAY cruise next month, and I'm wondering if the 4 day cruise is indeed more of a "party" atmosphere than 5 or 7 day cruises, or is it pretty similar to the 5 day? We're taking a couple who have never cruised before, and I'm just wondering what to expect.

I find them to be about the same. It really depends on "WHO" is onboard. The major difference is no past guest party.

Dave

I find them to be about the same. It really depends on "WHO" is onboard. The major difference is no past guest party.

Dave

Yeah, that stinks! What's worse is that the 4 day we're taking is $30 or so pp MORE than the 5 day right after it! But we really didn't want to leave the kids more than 4 days, so we'll take what we can get!

Breakfast

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=664411

Dinner

Hmm Don't know any suggestions. A lot of threads seem to like Acme Oyster house.

Snack

you should go to Cafe Du Monde and get some Beignets and coffee or hot chocolate! There is one in the Quarter and one in the Riverwalk mall.

Beignets and cafe au lait (it's coffee and hot milk - just delicous) - and go to the one in the quarter across from Jackson Square on Decatur. Open 24/7

Kathy

Thanks Jetskier for the advisory on Bourbon street. We will be driving in from Georgia and will spend the afternoon and evening in NO before our cruise. We have a 9-year-old son and my wife and I want to see the French Quarter but don't need to give our boy too much of an "education." We might just drive Bourbon while he is still zoned out on the DVD player like he always is on long drives. Looks like Canal Street and Jackson Square should be good for family style walking tours. Any other suggestions?

For Breakfast - could it be Brennan's? It's famous for 'Brunch at Brennan's' though it's not cheap. We went and it was exceptional. You pay for the whole experience if that interests you. http://www.brennansneworleans.com/breakfastmenu.html

Cajun Seafood Resturant - Hhmmm. Redfish Grill is my favorite restaurant. And they have lunch specials. It's on Bourbon really close to Canal Street - so it's before all of the hoopla. http://www.redfishgrill.com/menus.php

As for Cajun - there is a restaurant across from the Riverwalk/pier area. It's on the corner - Mulate's http://www.mulates.com/menu.htm I think this is a pretty good restaurant.

Kathy

Yeah, that stinks! What's worse is that the 4 day we're taking is $30 or so pp MORE than the 5 day right after it! But we really didn't want to leave the kids more than 4 days, so we'll take what we can get!

That is why we are taking our two daughters with us in Aug and the two Nov cruises. Plus I believe we have burnt out our baby sitters. The one in Aug is over Labor Day weekend, so they only miss three days of school. The one Nov 1st is a 5-day leaving on Sat, so they miss 4 days of school. The Nov 23rd cruise is costing me though with it being Thanksgiving week PLUS being the first 7-day sailing out of New Orleans for the fall 2008 season.

I hardly take 4-day sailing anymore because usually it is cheaper to take the 5-day by the time you factor in an extra day and an extra port.

Dave

when is carnival going to decide to do a 7-day out of new orleans? i loved being able to go out of new orleans cause it was so close to home.

ill just keep praying :)

We're hoping for 2009. I've written Carnival several letters regarding this, and I sent them another one yesterday. We were on the NCL Spirit out of NOLA and you wouldn't believe how many people were saying they were only on NCL b/c Carnival doesn't have a 7 day out of NOLA. They need to give us another ship! I love the Fantasy and the 5 day cruises are great, but we like to take a 7 day cruise once in a while too! Hell, a 9 day would be even better (and would allow for more interesting ports). We've got 3 cruises booked on the Fantasy for 2008, so I'm hoping we'll have another ship here to try in 2009.

I was just about to post a thread about New Orleans. I was interested in taking a cruise next fall (September) and was planning on taking the NCL Spirit (she looks wonderful) but found out that she will no longer be cruising from there at that time. I then became interested in the Fantasy, but she dosn't have cruises at this time either. Is this when she will be upgraded according to the evolutions of fun project? Either way, I'm really annoyed, as this is the only suitable time and port (this was supposed to be a pre-college cruise with the family).

I agree that it would be amazing if there were another option (7 day), as I'm not too crazy about going on a Fantasy class ship, and I loved my cruise on the Glory. Oh well, it doesn't look like it matters anymore.....:(

I remember when there used to be many options out of New Orleans, my first cruise was on the little but wonderful Enchanted Isle from there. That is what hooked me on cruising, both the ship and port, but I havn't been able to sail from there since.

They don't.. Do you mean 2009 or 2008? The current schedule it up until May 2009

These are the dates listed on carnival's website for August and September

8/4/08 - 5 day

8/9/08 - 5 day

8/14/08 - 4 day

8/18/08 - 4 day

8/23/08 - 5 day

9/1/08 - 5 day

9/20/08 - 5 day

9/25/08 - 4 day

9/29/08 - 5 day

http://www.carnival.com/searchResults.aspx?embkCode=MSY&dat=092008,082008&src=ms&page=0

Thanks, I do mean 2008 but I didn't see the little "next" button at the bottom of the page, oops! It looks like we might try the Fantasy, even though we said we would never sail on a smaller Carnival ship (because of horror stories of friends), hopefully this board will reassure me. If not, then it doesn't look like my next cruise will be from New Orleans:o When will the Fantasy be upgraded? (I am aware by 2009) Maybe that will help.

Then again, we loved the NCL Majesty, so maybe the Fantasy is on that same level.

Archived