Changing cabin occupants at check-in

Please take advantage of this money-saving opportunity. It's not difficult at all. The rep at RCCL when we booked our last cruise is who encouraged us to split my parents up into two cabins so we could take advantage of the senior discount.

If you separated the passengers at the time of booking because of a senior discount, DO NOT change the passengers at the time of check-in. If you remove the only senior from a room, you will lose the discount and will be charged the higher rate.

On your Set Sail Pass, you can arrange the expense accounts however you want them to work (whose charges get billed on what credit card). Once on the ship, you can go to the purser's desk and have extra key cards made (NOT new seapasses). The people switching rooms will carry a key card and a seapass card. It's really not a big deal at all.

My parents are seniors and, when a senior discount had become available, we had split my parents up on the reservations (one in their cabin, one in ours) to get the discount as it saved us $100 per person. Each person in the cabin gets the discount, not just the senior. By doing this, DF was registered in my cabin with me and the kids, and DH was registered in my DM’s cabin with her. Because of the way we completed the set sail, we had no problem with the charges going on the correct credit cards, and we had extra key cards made at guest relations so DF could get into his cabin with DM and so DH could get into our cabin.

Regarding the poster who said they know someone who had to pay the difference, that's because they removed a senior from a room. That is not what you want to do. You just want to get extra key cards made, and there is no explanation needed. People get extra key cards made all the time so they have access to their children's cabin, etc. When you set up your Setsail online, you will see how easy it is to have your son and you on the same credit card even though you are listed in separate rooms.

Thanks for the advise on getting extra room keys. I did the same thing with my parents, gave them each one kid. There was no discount, but I needed to do it for the travel insurance. My husband's mom had been ill and if we had to cancel I needed the insurance to cover my parents also.

Okay, let me see if I finally understand. My son and my mom will have TWO cards -- one for charging and one to use as a room key. Will the right names be on the cards?

I'm not sure why I can't grasp this! I know it's done all the time.

Please take advantage of this money-saving opportunity. It's not difficult at all. The rep at RCCL when we booked our last cruise is who encouraged us to split my parents up into two cabins so we could take advantage of the senior discount.

If you separated the passengers at the time of booking because of a senior discount, DO NOT change the passengers at the time of check-in. If you remove the only senior from a room, you will lose the discount and will be charged the higher rate.

On your Set Sail Pass, you can arrange the expense accounts however you want them to work (whose charges get billed on what credit card). Once on the ship, you can go to the purser's desk and have extra key cards made (NOT new seapasses). The people switching rooms will carry a key card and a seapass card. It's really not a big deal at all.

My parents are seniors and, when a senior discount had become available, we had split my parents up on the reservations (one in their cabin, one in ours) to get the discount as it saved us $100 per person. Each person in the cabin gets the discount, not just the senior. By doing this, DF was registered in my cabin with me and the kids, and DH was registered in my DM’s cabin with her. Because of the way we completed the set sail, we had no problem with the charges going on the correct credit cards, and we had extra key cards made at guest relations so DF could get into his cabin with DM and so DH could get into our cabin.

Regarding the poster who said they know someone who had to pay the difference, that's because they removed a senior from a room. That is not what you want to do. You just want to get extra key cards made, and there is no explanation needed. People get extra key cards made all the time so they have access to their children's cabin, etc. When you set up your Setsail online, you will see how easy it is to have your son and you on the same credit card even though you are listed in separate rooms.

Just came back from Grandeur. Nothing illegal at all, no problem.Do not just switch room keys as that can mess everything up. We went directly to customer relations,they switched the rooms in the computer,printed new keys,checked that credit card info was ok. Took about 10 minutes. They do this all the time as people take advantage of the savings. Tell your Mom to relax it is perfctly ok and not a problem, just go straight to customer relations. Have fun, we sure did

Okay, let me see if I finally understand. My son and my mom will have TWO cards -- one for charging and one to use as a room key. Will the right names be on the cards?

I'm not sure why I can't grasp this! I know it's done all the time.

Yes, the people switching cabins will each have two cards. One will be their seapass (with their correct name on it to be used for charging but which will unlock the room they were to originally be in). The second card will be a key card. As I recall, the extra key cards that we got made had on them the name of the primary person in that room (the primary name on the reservation). They will punch holes in the cards and you can put them both on a lanyard for your son so he always has both.

I am so glad to hear that you can just get extra keys!! Me and my bf are both platinum, so I booked him with my father and me with my stepmother so we could get balcony discounts on both rooms for our june 8 cruise. I was really worried about if this would work out, especially since we couldnt just switch cards (with the seapass account and photo for entry/exit of ship), but I also didn't want to only have one of us with a key to the room. I really hope this works. Thanks for the info!!!

I was told by RCCL that only one passenger per cabin has to be a senior citizen for all in the cabin to qualify for that price. As long as the one passenger has their ID for proof of age there shouldn't be a problem. I'm booked w/my 16yr old nephew together in a cabin and we were both given the same rate. When we booked both of our ages were known and are showing on our documents. I don't think there is anything to worry about. On the cruise booking page it states that one passenger must meet either the age or residency or military requirement for all in the cabin to receive the discounted rate. :) Steph

When I booked 2 cabins for my husband ,myself and my inlaws recently, the RCCL rep set it up with an inlaw in each so we all got the senior discount........I was very leary of that.so i called the next day and was told,they dont encourage it but will do it.

HOWEVER,I personally know of someone that had the same setup and had to pay the difference when they got to the ship(Mariner)...........

I wound up changing to the right setup and gave up the senior discount.........I would have worried about it till embarkation day...........besides,I didnt want to have to lay out any extra money that day............

This is the disclaimer on RCCLs website....

Please Note: A valid driver's license, state-issued ID, or proper military identification will be required for validation at the pier. If age, state of residency, or military participation cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding.

Yes, the people switching cabins will each have two cards. One will be their seapass (with their correct name on it to be used for charging but which will unlock the room they were to originally be in). The second card will be a key card. As I recall, the extra key cards that we got made had on them the name of the primary person in that room (the primary name on the reservation). They will punch holes in the cards and you can put them both on a lanyard for your son so he always has both.

Is it possible for the parents to have key cards for their kids cabins and the kids to have a card for the parent's cabin? I'm thinking about leaving and checking for notes and messages, picking up things for each other, etc. :confused:

Thanks bunches, Steph

on our last cruise, not on this cruise line, we had my FIL accross the hall. we wanted him to be able to enter our room whenever he needed to. he has health issues, plus we had a balcony room that he could use if he didn't want to go ashore. we had the purser's desk make him up a room key for our room. it was blank with no infomation on it, not tied to any credit cards. just a regular "key" like the hotels use. we each had our own key cards...but he also had a blank one. worked good, when he remember he had it.

First off, we're not "trying to get away with" anything. My mom was fully prepared to pay the going rates to have my son and me in one room and her and my dad in the other room. It was the RCI REP who suggested it to her.

I don't want the beginning of my vacation to be a hassle -- and I don't want things to get confusing or screwed up.

And I'm not looking for a debate here or trying to stir the pot.

Thank you for all the input.

angel - during my months on this board, I've seen SEVERAL people who booked this way, and in most of the cases, it was the RCI rep who suggested it. I'm not looking to get into a morality debate, but in my opinion, your parents are each eligible for a discount based on their age, so what difference does it really make how the reservation is set up.

So...would I take advantage of the RCI rep's suggestion on how to book the reservation?

You bet I would! And I wouldn't think twice about it.

Very nicely worded and explained KelJ - you said perfectly what several of us were thinking and/or trying to convey.

Is it possible for the parents to have key cards for their kids cabins and the kids to have a card for the parent's cabin? I'm thinking about leaving and checking for notes and messages, picking up things for each other, etc. :confused:

Thanks bunches, Steph

Absolutely! People do it all the time; for example, when kids are in a separate cabin. You don't ask for the extra key card when you sign in. You ask for it at the Purser's Desk or Guest Relations or whatever it is called. It is a very common request.

Archived