Are there any beaches in Roatan WITHOUT fleas?

MiBoater

From what I have heard a liberal helping of anything with DEET in it with a few resprays for good measure will keep the buggies away. Not a bad idea anyway since it helps keep the skeeters away too when not on the beach. :)

Sand Fleas in Roatan are a problem for some people more than others, do not let this put you off a visit to the beach at all.

A few tips, find a spot with a breeze, helps keep them away. Also if you are looking to sun bake try a dock less sand fleas- all the beaches in Roatan have them- docks that is. Also a little bug spray if none of the above will solve any further problems, or a shirt can help alot also if you do not like the spray.

Also consider keeping your options open for the day if the bugs are driving you crazy sitting on the beach, grap some snorkeling gear, rent a kayak, go shopping, walk along the beach - there are many options to fill your time in.

Enjoy

Dean

Go to the beach in Roatan, we were there in January and you will love it. We did, it was my favorite stop of our whole trip. We went to Coral Cay, which we booked through Princess. The beach was private and not that crowded. We snorkeled and had a great time. We took some "Off" and sprayed it on our legs after we snorkeled. We were in and out of the water and had no problem at all. The beaches are beautiful, they are not to be missed.

We were there last year in July '07, I don't remember any sand fleas. I think we went snorkiling off a catamaran. I don't remember any bugs....what I do remember is that you have to be careful not to touch the fire coral.....but it wasen't any problem for our family. We had a wonderful time, it was beautiful. The water was this turquoise blue that I've never seen before....not even in the Carribean.

I remember taking these DET disposable wipes. I don't remember using them once on this trip. I used bug spray in Florida when we went on the everglades.

We were at Tabyana beach our last trip to Roatan. We did not get any bites, or hear of anyone else being bitten. If I remember correctly, it was stated that Tabyana is sprayed regularly to kill the sand fleas.

We also went to Tabyana beach... it was beautiful and breathtaking...

bugs???? not one bug when I went... We went in August...

You will love your trip to Roatan, we sure did...!

• 4 weeks later...

My husband says don't tell, keep it a secret. This is a beautiful beach, no fleas seen in Jan, yet my mother who took a different shore tour was bitten a lot. There are reefs loaded with fish a five minute swim out and we snorkled for hours (hint, don't forget to sunscreen the back of your knees!). Pack your own snorkle gear, we did. My son rented some ($10 for 2 hours) and it was not good quality. I think this beach is a "cruise ship only" stop as it was not crowded.

• 4 weeks later...

We were at Tabayana last week. It was the best beach we went to for this cruise. There were no sand fleas or any other kind of bug. We had a wonderful time. The water was beautiful and refreshing and there was plenty of shade.

• 3 months later...
Go to the beach in Roatan, we were there in January and you will love it. We did, it was my favorite stop of our whole trip. We went to Coral Cay, which we booked through Princess. The beach was private and not that crowded. We snorkeled and had a great time. We took some "Off" and sprayed it on our legs after we snorkeled. We were in and out of the water and had no problem at all. The beaches are beautiful, they are not to be missed.

How was the weather and water temp in January? We are booked for January '08.

When we were there in January of this year, it was very warm but not to hot. Very nice beach day. The water was cool and refreshing not cold. Just a little cool when you first got in but was use to it within minutes. If I remember right, the high that day was mid to upper 80's and with the humidity it was a nice beach day. We were snokeling by 10:15 am then spent the rest of the day (until about 2:00) on the beach. One of my favorite beach days ever. Very nice, pretty little island. When we got back to the ship I showered and then went out a shopped a little bit right around the port gate. Didn't go very far but it was nice too. Have fun at the beach!

When we were there in January of this year, it was very warm but not to hot. Very nice beach day. The water was cool and refreshing not cold. Just a little cool when you first got in but was use to it within minutes. If I remember right, the high that day was mid to upper 80's and with the humidity it was a nice beach day. We were snokeling by 10:15 am then spent the rest of the day (until about 2:00) on the beach. One of my favorite beach days ever. Very nice, pretty little island. When we got back to the ship I showered and then went out a shopped a little bit right around the port gate. Didn't go very far but it was nice too. Have fun at the beach!

Thanks for the info. Can't wait!!

• 4 weeks later...

I was at Tabyana beach beginning of Feb '07. It was beautiful. I don't remember any fleas. No one I knew got bit. I am sensitive to mosquitos and fleas so I did spray my towel--not one bite. When we were there it was about 85 degrees and the water was a warm 80ish and crystal clear.

I didn't experience bites in West End, Roatan, but I was there during the middle of the day.

However, I once had a catastrophic non-cruise vacation in the Yucatan because of sand fleas, biting midges, no-see-ums (whatever).

Did some research and found there is strong (albeit non-FDA-tested) evidence that a few drops of Penny Royal Oil (available at health food stores), when mixed with an average DEET product, will keep away even the most agressive sand fleas, biting midges, no-see-ums, etc.

Something to consider if you're particularly sensitive to bugs -- or sensitive to DEET. Reminder: Don't get DEET on your watch band or anything else plastic. The stronger the DEET mix, the faster you can see the watch band disolve.

Cheers,

Spud

Archived