No Blue Lagoon on the Gem???

defreeze

In my (insanely early) research into food choices for my January 5, 2008 sailing on the Norwegian Gem, I noticed on the NCL site that there is no Blue Lagoon restaurant listed for this ship. Nor is it shown on the deck plans.

Anyone have any insight into this? The Blue Lagoon was a favorite of mine when I sailed on the Dawn, and I'd be heartbroken if they removed it from the Gem.

In my (insanely early) research into food choices for my January 5, 2008 sailing on the Norwegian Gem, I noticed on the NCL site that there is no Blue Lagoon restaurant listed for this ship. Nor is it shown on the deck plans.

Anyone have any insight into this? The Blue Lagoon was a favorite of mine when I sailed on the Dawn, and I'd be heartbroken if they removed it from the Gem.

DITTO! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The locale on Deck 8 where the Blue Lagoon is on the Pearl is just labeled as a Restaurant on the Gem's Deck Plans. So, it's there, just not called the Blue Lagoon yet. Maybe NCL is considering calling it something else, or maybe an entirely different restaurant will appear in its place.

Don't give up the ship, I mean the Blue Lagoon, yet.

My guess is that it will be more of a sit down restaurant with waitress service rather than the walk through type now. Having to order pound cake rather than to just grab a slice as you walk through. I think Shoreguy mentioned it was like this on the Pearl? I hope they don't change the name.....:rolleyes:

Actually the Blue Lagoon on the Dawn last year had waitress service (altho the mega-good pound cake was a pick-up item!!!).

And I'll second (third?) the appeal -- please don't leave this "gem" off the Gem!:eek:

I know what you mean I was bummed on my last cruise on the Sun because there wasn't one. I think every NCL ship needs a Blue Lagoon it's the place I look forward to eating at the most, I only have to wait 17 more days because the Spirit luckly has one March 24,2007 8 day Western Caribbean

Actually the Blue Lagoon on the Dawn last year had waitress service (altho the mega-good pound cake was a pick-up item!!!).

And I'll second (third?) the appeal -- please don't leave this "gem" off the Gem!:eek:

The DAWN's Blue Lagoon still does have the waitress service, just not for drinks or dessert. I always alter my route around the ship so we would pass through the Blue Lagoon to get the pound cake. I've heard the banana bread is good as well, but I stick with my favorite pound cake.

I do think they changed the batter on the fish sometime between July '06 and Feb. '07 since I was a little disappointed in the fish this last cruise.

Blue lagoon on Pearl, has changed for the Star. It is really a formal sit down, but has the same menu. No pound cake to walk by and pick up. though a little strange, the only way to forward or aft on this deck is either thru Mombos or the blue lagoon. When you go thru Mombos you will end up on the blue lagoon side. When you go thru the blue lagoon you are going past all of the tables in the restraurant. :)

I do think they changed the batter on the fish sometime between July '06 and Feb. '07 since I was a little disappointed in the fish this last cruise.

I did not say anything before - thought I was having a bad day;) The fish and chips were disappointing. I saw nobody freshly dipping the filets in batter like past cruises. Based on the uniform grid like texture of the coating - premade frozen fish sticks. :( I saw a whole stack of them in a basket getting ready to go in the deep fryer. :rolleyes:

I did not say anything before - thought I was having a bad day;) The fish and chips were disappointing. I saw nobody freshly dipping the filets in batter like past cruises. Based on the uniform grid like texture of the coating - premade frozen fish sticks. :( I saw a whole stack of them in a basket getting ready to go in the deep fryer. :rolleyes:

I agree they weren't very good. The Chili was better---you can get in it a big bowl if you ask without the baked potato too. The wonton soup was ok...

I really hate to disagree with you but they do. :D ;) Had some last week on the Dawn. More like Mac and a giant blob of cheese :rolleyes:

Very greasy cheese at that:eek: In the microwave too long too. Needless to say..........I only had it one time:rolleyes:

I did not say anything before - thought I was having a bad day;) The fish and chips were disappointing. I saw nobody freshly dipping the filets in batter like past cruises.

I had mentioned after our Sept cruise on the Sun that the F&C in the sports bar were not as good as those on ships with a Blue Lagoon. Now I'm starting to fear that the Fish-n-Chips on NCL have changed fleet wide! :(

BTW-I have an "Introducing the Gem" brochure. The dining rooms listed are:

Grand Pacific Main Dining Room

Alizar Main Dining Room

Le Bistro French Restaurant

Lotus Garden Asian Restaurant

Lotus Garden Sushi Bar

Lotus Garden Teppanyaki Room

Cagney's Steakhouse\

Mambos Latin/Tapas Restaurant

The Great Outdoors/Garden Café/Kids Café

La Cucina Italian Restaurant

Blue Lagoon

Topsiders Grill

Sorry, but I can't read their deck plans without a magnifying glass ;)

-Monte

I really hate to disagree with you but they do. :D ;) Had some last week on the Dawn. More like Mac and a giant blob of cheese :rolleyes:

LOL they must have added after 2/8...but it doesn't sound too good anyway....

Sorry to hear that:(

They were a great snack.

Sorry to hear that:(

They were a great snack.

They still are a great snack. To suggest that chefs are working at the Blue Lagoon is slightly above my expectations. The Blue Lagoon should be considered a fast food restaurant, not a fine restaurant like the Main restaurants aboard the ship.

Next, you'll be suggesting that pre breaded and pre processed boneless chicken tenders aren't as tasty as freshly breaded fried chicken. Or suggesting pre processed frozen hamburger patties aren't as tasty as hand made hamburger patties. Chicken tastes like chicken, beef like beef, and fish like fish, whether they are pre processed or not.

Even ice cream comes pre processed today. To suggest hand cranked homemade ice cream is far superior in taste to what you can find pre proxessed and frozen in plastic or cardboard boxes is ridiculous.

Get real folks, there is and should be a difference between fast food and fine food. And that we live in the era of pre processed foods.

My guess is that it will be more of a sit down restaurant with waitress service rather than the walk through type now. Having to order pound cake rather than to just grab a slice as you walk through. I think Shoreguy mentioned it was like this on the Pearl? I hope they don't change the name.....:rolleyes:

We had wait people in the Blue Lagoon on the Jewel. If they take away Blue Lagoon I will switch cruise lines for sure. Only kidding of course, but I just love that place. NMnita

On the Sun they serve them in the evening at the sports bar. Our sailing last April, they were not quite as good, but I figured it had to do with them not being prepared in an actual Blue Lagoon restaurant. NMNita

They still are a great snack. To suggest that chefs are working at the Blue Lagoon is slightly above my expectations. The Blue Lagoon should be considered a fast food restaurant, not a fine restaurant like the Main restaurants aboard the ship.

Next, you'll be suggesting that pre breaded and pre processed boneless chicken tenders aren't as tasty as freshly breaded fried chicken. Or suggesting pre processed frozen hamburger patties aren't as tasty as hand made hamburger patties. Chicken tastes like chicken, beef like beef, and fish like fish, whether they are pre processed or not.

Even ice cream comes pre processed today. To suggest hand cranked homemade ice cream is far superior in taste to what you can find pre proxessed and frozen in plastic or cardboard boxes is ridiculous.

Get real folks, there is and should be a difference between fast food and fine food. And that we live in the era of pre processed foods.

Doesn't everything taste like chicken? :D

Archived