The Long Awaited Review - Pacific Star R640

Star-Man

Finally thought it was time to do my review of my cruise back in December. So here goes a day by day from what i remember.

Day 1 - Embarkation & Sailaway:

We organised for everyone in our group to meet at my house and have my dad drive us to the terminal. We got to Hamilton around 10-10:30 and received group B boarding things. After about 45 minutes of waiting at the fish and chip shop tables, our group was called and we began to file through customs. I realised after passing through the metal detector prior to boarding that i had gotten through with a set of keys in my pocket. If they didnt pick those up, i hate to think what else gets through.

We found our room and began to settle in. The outside rooms on the star are so much larger than the inside ones. It was much better being in the outside than the inside we were originally booked on. After unpacking, we made our way to the lido buffet to grab some lunch and then to the observation deck above the bridge to await our departure.

When the captain announced over the pa system that we were about to depart for the whitsundays, we knew our holiday had truely begun. The cruise director counted us down from 10 and with several blasts of the horn we were off. I waved goodbye to my parents and my younger brother for the last time for a week and we passed under the gateway bridge and then out to Morten bay.

That evenings entertainment included the muster drill, held strangely as we were passing the most scenic part of Morten Island, ping pong down near the teen centre, dinner, more ping pong and then the nights show, Love The Nightlife which i must say was better this time around because i knew what it was about.

After the show i decided to go looking for my luggage with a friend as it hadnt yet been delivered to my cabin. Sure enough it was waiting alone in reception as the tag had been ripped off it while it was being loaded onto the ship.

coming up, day 2...

Day 2 - Sea Day:

I dont have any photos from this day apart from just after dinner or the pacific daily. Sad i know, but luckily i still remember most of what happened.

Most of my cabin woke up early (read: everyone but me) and when they decided it was time to go to breakfast, my best friend threw two thongs at me to wake me up. One bounced off my head and the other hit the wall and made a loud enough noise to wake me up. We went to the buffet for breakfast and filled up on as much as we could, thanks to the seas being flat as a pond and there being no chance of getting sea sick.

This is where my group split up for the day, the 2 girls went to check out the teen centre and myself and my other friend went exploring. The exploring eventually resulted in us playing more ping pong before and after lunch.

Our group met up again before dinner. The first formal night and we were all excited about getting dressed up. Dinner was wonderful, i remember that much, but i cant quite remember what it was. After dinner, the group split again. Me and my friend eventually wandered down to the teen club to try and find the girls, who were singing karaoke. So we stayed. This was also the most memorable night for me, as it is when i found love at sea (or at the teen centre to be exact). And yes, we are still together today :)

After karaoke, we offered to hold a massive uno game up on the lido deck, which most of the teen club agreed on attending. A good night, 30 people playing uno at midnight on the deserted lido deck.

Stay tuned for Day 3...

Day 3 - Whitsundays:

Our first port of call. Everyone woke at about the same time and we all spent 15 minutes gazing out the window at the clear water, beautiful islands and the clear blue sky.

I convinced my group to have breakfast in the dining room this morning as i didnt get the chance to on my last cruise. It was nice, but didnt offer anything that the buffet didnt.

I managed to get in a few games of chess up on the sun deck before we decided to catch a tender across to airle (sp?) beach. We had a photos taken after we got to shore and we then set off in search of the lagoon. After spending an hour or so swimming, we walked around the shops and then made our way back to the ship for lunch.

That afternoon i accidentally found myself caught in a water fight around the childrens pool, so i stood the GF on the next deck up watching the islands drift past while drying off.

Tonight was Rock and Roll Night. All i remember is dancing until 2 in the morning and there only being people from the teen club on the dance floor. A very fun night.

Coming up next, Cairns....

Day 4 - First Day In Cairns:

We were woken this morning by the captain announcing that, due to rough weather predicted for Port Douglas, we would be staying an extra day in Cairns and passengers would be bussed up to Port Douglas. This was fine by us.

After breakfast, the girls split again to go do there own thing, so me and my friend took photos of our surroundings from the ship and played ping pong by the pool on lido deck in the rain. Lunch was had at the buffet and eaten outside in the cool weather. After that, we met up again and went exploring through cairns. This involved going to the woolworths there a few times and then laying on the grass in a random park for more than an hour.

The after dinner entertainment this night, was poker hosted by my cabin at the card tables on the promenade deck outside the casablanca lounge. Turned out to be popular again with 15 people turning up to play until the early hours of the next morning.

Day 5 - 2nd Day in Cairns:

Today was pretty much the same as the day that preceded it. Relaxing on board, playing ping pong, swimming and lots of eating.

Managed to see more of cairns today when i went to buy a new tie for the next formal night with one of my friends.

A word of advice, there are warnings signs next to the hot tub on the sun deck for a reason. If you are in there for an extended period of time you will get dizzy and light headed. The cold showers also work wonders to make you feel better.

At one point, we were all sitting in the cabin and i noticed that there was an envelope sitting just inside the door on the floor. Upon further investigation it was a letter from the captain inviting us to take a tour of the bridge the next morning. It goes without saying that we were all pretty darn excited.

After dinner came the nights show, Dance. I cant actually remember any of it. So if someone could remind me that would be great. After the show we had a chance to just sit at the back of the ship and watch the lights of cairns disappear into the night.

We managed to score 2 free pizzas from the pizza place on lido deck thanks to the teen centre, so we had another meal in between dancing the night away at the island night party. Once again, we were up until after 4 and the only people left dancing after 1.

Day 6 - Willis Island Sail By:

I dont know what we expected Willis island would be like. We knew that it was a small island home to more seabirds that people (only people are ever on the island at one time). By the time i had gotten up on deck to take a look, the island was already lost in the distance.

By 10:30 it was time for our bridge tour. We gathered where the letter had told us to and a woman from security came to collect us. We met the captain and the Staff captain as well as getting a full explanation of everything on the bridge. We got photos of us holding the wheel of the ship and of us all standing with the captain while wearing his hat. A most memorable morning to say the least.

Most of the day after that was spent with our new friends in the teen club or amusing ourselves around the ship. After lunch a few of us decided to watch the movie that was showing, "Step Up". Its not that great and we all fell asleep :rolleyes:

I also started to feel a bit sick on this day, but i still managed to do everything i wanted to and eat what i wanted.

The girls went to their hair appointments and we all got dressed up again for the last formal night. As i was a past cruiser, we also got to attend the captains club cocktail party before dinner. There was a couple there who had done over 400 cruises on P&O and Princess ships :eek:

Dinner was superb as always and everyone enjoyed the baked alaska parade, which i ordered after several people on here recommended it. It was certainly delicious.

We then went to the showing of G'day G'day, another thing i had heard about on here but never gotten to see. It was a good show that i would sit though again. But the best part was the song that the entertainers did afterwards, "If i were not upon the sea". most enjoyable.

There was a dance organised by the teen club at Club Bahia this night as well which was a lot of fun too. And of course, this was followed by more poker hosted by my group.

Day 7 - Sea Day:

This was probably the worst day (if any day on a cruise can be bad). I was sick from the moment i got up. The ship passed through several storms on the way back down the coast which meant the ride got a bit rough. 6-10 metre swells and 100km/hr winds through us around a fair bit.

There was poker care of my group again in the starlight lounge this day, but i couldnt stand being up the front. I tried to sleep as much as possible and hope that the sickness went away.

The cabin stewards worked their magic again today, they managed to clean the room and make the beds without waking me up. I went to sleep and the cabin was a bit of a mess and when i woke, it was clean. Magic.

Day 8 - Disembarkation:

I awoke early to give myself enough time to finish packing. We had decided to carry our luggage off with us to give us more time to pack. Once i had packed, i went up top and watched the ship being berthed at the terminal and then went to the buffet for breakfast. I met up with the GF and we all waited for our colour group to be called. It was sad when it came time to leave the ship, but i knew that i would be going on her again sometime soon.

Back home and back to reality less than an hour after disembarking :(

Summary:

Food: A+

Waiters: A+ (Joe was awesome)

Bar Service: A

Cabin Stewards: A++

Teen Program: A+

Teen Coordinators: A++

Ship Cleanliness: B+

Entertainment Program: A-

Security: A++ (we felt safe no matter where we were on the ship or at what time. we had security patrolling the cabin hallways as well.)

We liked our cabin stewards so much that we decided to tip them some more at the end of the cruise.

There is also heaps that i have forgotten, but they are the main points up there. Cant wait until September now that writing this has brought back so many good memories :)

Well Star man, thanks so much for that review. I thought I was excited about my trip before but after reading your review I can hardly contain myself.:p I only have 10 days to wait before I do the same trip!!

Thanks Starman, good to see a review on a North Queensland cruise, I hope to do one, one day. Just curious as to where the ship tenders for Airlie Beach, is it right in town? Have been there before but can't place where it would tender.

Chez

Chez,

The ship anchors a fair way from Airlie beach, I think it took about 20 or 30 minutes to reach the shore.

The tenders go straight into the marina they have there, and then its a 10 minute walk to the lagoon and the main street.

Hope this was a bit of help.

Lorraine,

I feel honoured to have provided the first younger persons review. I wonder if anyone is shocked that i wasnt the stereotyped partying 24/7, trouble maker that people think our ships are full of.

TalulaSA,

You will love this cruise and im glad i contributed to your excitement :D

I feel honoured to have provided the first younger persons review. I wonder if anyone is shocked that i wasnt the stereotyped partying 24/7, trouble maker that people think our ships are full of.

I don't think anyone who's got to know you here would think that you would be that person Sam!!

Pleased to hear you had such a wonderful time!!

I don't think anyone who's got to know you here would think that you would be that person Sam!!

Pleased to hear you had such a wonderful time!!

Thanks for the kind words :cool:

Also, i think i found one of my pictures with you in it.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/curry_of_doom/100_4332.jpg?t=1173184364

would that be you in the red shirt standing next to my dad?

thanks starman. It certainly was wonderful to read your review both from a younger persons view and also a queensland cruise.

Glad your group managed to have a good time although you may have "forgotten" a few of the details!!

did the girls enjoy it as much as you did.

Did you all go alone or did parents sail with you? i notice you are 17. did they enjoy it?

karon

Howsthis: i considered studying journalism this year at uni, but i am hopeless when it comes to deadlines (it took me nearly 3 months to write this :rolleyes: ) I think ill just stick with the photographic side of things.

Karon: The girls certainly enjoyed themselves. In fact, one of them has been bitten by the cruise bug so bad she cant think of anything else. We didnt have any parents with us on this one, as the other friend (not one of the girls) turned 18 just 2 days before we set sail.

We booked this cruise as an alternative to going down to schoolies week and none of us had any regrets about it. We just didnt see the point in going down the coast for a week just to drink non stop and we would do it all again. In fact we are, the same 3 plus another 4 people are going on my 18th cruise :cool:

Im sure we will. Everyone is getting really excited and we havnt even booked yet.

Im hoping the GF's parents change their mind about not letting her go, now that they have met me on dry land.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you:D

Karen

Im sure we will. Everyone is getting really excited and we havnt even booked yet.

Im hoping the GF's parents change their mind about not letting her go, now that they have met me on dry land.

Hi Starman...great review .its so refreshing to have such a young gentleman enjoying cruises for the value it provides not just a 24/7 party and boozing.I did a similiar cruise in 2003 on the then Superstar Leo when it cruised out here as a result of the Sars scare in asia.Its a great part of the world.We liked the whitsundays that much we had a land based holisay there in May last year and we saw the Star Moored off and we spoke to people at the lagoon who were sailing on her .We enjoyed our cruise on Star last november.I hope your gf parents relent and let her go with you...i could think of a nicer young man for a parents daughter to spend her time with .

keep up the good work ...its a pleasure to read your aticles

...i could think of a nicer young man for a parents daughter to spend her time with .

Before you start worrying Sam, I think Fox meant to say COULDN'T think of a nicer young man:D

Karen

Thanks for the kind words :cool:

Also, i think i found one of my pictures with you in it.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/curry_of_doom/100_4332.jpg?t=1173184364

would that be you in the red shirt standing next to my dad?

Yes, that would be me in the red shirt (and Pacific Star hat), and Martin (RiffRaff) next to me.

Wow, what a small world it is then :D I had a suspicion that it was you after seeing the pic you posted in the putting a face to the name thread, i recognised the necklace.

Fox, thanks. Cruises for me are the thing i prefer to spend my money on (they also give me something to save for), so i like to make the most of them. Although my 18th birthday cruise may involve a little booze and some partying, just because of the occasion :cool: but i promise i wont party too hard.

Archived