the new daylight savings..... need help ASAP!?!?

FunInTheCaribbean

We're getting conflicting information about what time zone to follow for Cozumel next week. We'll be there 3/14. We depart from Galveston, so we're on Central Daylight Savings Time since the new DST starts this weekend.

One person in our party is diving in Cozumel, and the dive company told her they don't follow the new daylight savings. But others in our party have a charter for fishing - and the the fishing charter company says they do follow it.

I'm totally confused, and have tried to research the web, but am not 100% sure what is correct. Can anyone help us???? We all need to make sure we arrive at our excursion reservations at the correct time and since we leave on Saturday, we need to find out ASAP!

Thanks!

I've researched a bit further. It seems this year the U.S.A. is the one that has made a change. Mexico has followed changing the clocks at the same dates as the U.S.A. since 1996 but...

Mexico

Mexico, with the exception of Sonora, has observed Daylight Saving Time since 1996, adhering to the same schedule as the U.S. Although the U.S. is slated to change Daylight Saving Time dates in 2007, Mexico will maintain the original schedule of starting the first Sunday in April and ending the last Sunday in October.

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/g.html

We must have been typing at the same time. April 1st is the date.

I was unaware that the U.S. had moved up their schedule to a different date in March. Mexico will observe the April 1st date they have shared with the US since 1996.

Why is the U.S. trying to confuse the rest of North America???

For those of you who have cruised before you know that ship time can be different than local time. This could bring another bout of confusion into the mix.

If you are departing from Galvaston, it won't matter beyond the mexico time difference discussed here, but for those leaving from Miami or else where, keep it in mind, I can see someone getting left behind because of this.

Mike in Tulsa

I knew I'd get the correct answer by posting.... thanks! We appreciate all your help! Now if we can just get the fishing charter to agree, and change our reservation time to correspond with other things we are doing, then we're set!

Thanks again everyone!

Everyone here works around ship schedules. There should be NO difficulty in getting your charter schedules altered to meet your needs.

Just to clarify:

The U.S. begins Daylight Savings Time March 11th this year.

Mexico begins Daylight Savings Time April 1st as usual.

This will leave one month of weirdness before things get back to normal. Just make sure to factor it into your port times.

I am the diver in the OP's group, and I just called the dive company again to double-confirm what I had been told.

According to the woman I spoke with (who is from the US, so any potential language barrier confusion was eliminated) she actually called the "President's office" (Mexico's equivalent of the mayor apparently) to double check, and MEXICO IS NOT GOING EARLY! :) I think you guys have already established that.

Now for the real confusion- are the cruise ships staying on central DST, or will they revert to local time? I called Princess twice and both times they have "looked into it" and told me that the ship will switch to DST on the 11th but then will revert to central standard when in port (if that is the time the port is following.) So essentially when the itinerary says the ship docks at 9am, it's 9am PORT time not ship time (ship time adjusts accordingly?)

I would get me a TIMEX and set it for what port I had reservations at. LOL

That may well answer for ONE cruise line, but there are so many and they all have different stories.

Funny part is, they may all be surprised at work and at home when certain things don't function properly.

When you are in Cozumel, you'll be on Mexican Time no matter what anybody tells you. Siestas begin around 2pm and end around 5pm.

hahaha!

Archived