Hotel in Venice, Italy

Frankie Sue

We are cruising from Venice, Italy, boarding the Grand Princess on May 26.

We will arrive in Venice 1 day early so that we can have a little time to visit Venice (it will be our first visit).

We are looking for a nice hotel, not too expensive but well located to allow us to get around and see the sights.

As always I really trust CruiseCritic members suggestions and good advice.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Frankie Sue

Have you tried to go the Ports of Call board and scroll to Europe. There is alot of info there. Also if you join in your Roll Call for your cruise your cruisemates will have the same questions and maybe you can share ideas for the hotels.

marilyn

I've been to Venice twice. I would suggest just getting a hotel near the cruise ship docks, perhaps someone can suggest one. It will be far from St. Mark's square, but a 48-hour Vaporetto pass will allow you to get on / off any waterbus. Just took my wife, mother and mother-in-law last June and I think they enjoyed Murano and Burano the most (covered by Vaporetto pass).

In any case, far in Venice is a relative term, it would be very fun to try to walk from the cruise ship docks to St. Marks, a great deal of fun in Venice is getting lost. Biggest thing to realize is that the little pathway between two buildings that looks like a sidewalk is a street according to the maps!

If you get a hotel too far from the ship you may find handling luggage to be difficult, though your hotel could likely arrange for a porter.

I have stayed at several hotels in Venice. The one that I recommend is the Sofitel Venezia. You can fly into Venice take the bus from the airport (very easy to do by the way). It is 3 Euros per person. The bus drops you off in Piazzle Roma. You walk over a little bridge and you are there. The rooms are spacious, air conditioned and beautifully furnished. They have large marble bathrooms. The Santa Chiara is also right in Piazzle Roma and the rooms are nice there but they overbook and I got sent to the Hotel Continental, which was not as nice. So, I can't really recommend this hotel.

Then you can literally walk to the ship (although with luggage a cab is a good idea ) again, you can pick up a taxi right there by Piazzle Roma.

I have also stayed at three hotels in St. Mark's. If you stay there. Take the ferry from the airport ( a 45 minute ride) to St. Mark's. The Bauer was wonderful but $$$$. The Metropole was nice but rooms are small. Same for the other hotel Hotel San Marco. Rooms and bathrooms are small and the hotel is older.

I liked the Sofitel Venezia the best. It is about 200 Euros a night but if you pay less in Venice, expect mediocre.

The Pensione Accademia is just across the Accademia Bridge on a canal that connects with the Grand Canal. It's not terribly expensive (by Venice standards) - we had a superior deluxe for 200 euros/night for a couple of nights pre-cruise last summer. The advantage of Dorsoduro district is that it's not right in St. Mark's square (which is incredibly crowded and very touristy) but close enough to St. Mark's and other prime areas as to be very convenient. And Venice is a great city to walk in and explore. It's also just a couple of "blocks" from Galleria Accademia, not too far from the Guggenheim, and lots of wonderful ambience. The web site for the Pensione Accademia is:

http://www.pensioneaccademia.it/page/eng/hotel.html

Sam

Frankie Sue-

Venice is a confusing city to navigate. Do the Sofitel because if you stay at an out of the way hotel, you will have trouble finding it. You will be tired from your trip and the Sofitel is going to be the easiest and closest to the ship. Once you settle in- then you can get lost in Venice- which you will but it will be far more frustrating to get lost while on route to your hotel with luggage in tow.

Remember the only means of travel in the city is by water. Once you dock- you will be hauling your luggage up and over bridges. After a Transatlantic flight- believe me- this is tiring. Anyway, have a wonderful time in Venice.

The Sofitel is the hotel many cruise lines recommend but I found it on my own during one trip and booked it for the next time.

We loved this hotel. It's a five-minute walk from Piazza San Marco. It's not cheap but it was wonderful and all facilities had been updated when we visited in July of '02.

Hotel Bonvecchiati

Piazza San Marco 4488 - Venice 30124

Phone: (0039) 041-5285017 Fax: (0039) 041-528-5230

http://www.hotelbonvecchiati.it/en/index.htm

Buon viaggio!

We will arrive in Venice 1 day early so that we can have a little time to visit Venice (it will be our first visit).

We are looking for a nice hotel, not too expensive but well located to allow us to get around and see the sights.

Frankie Sue

Marriott Courtyard by the airport

Frankie Sue

I'd have to agree with rebeccalouise. Although I haven't stayed at the Sofitel, the area where it's located (Piazzale Roma) is probably the easiest place to get to from the airport and closest to the cruise terminal. You can always explore Venice once you put your bags down but dragging luggage through the streets and alleyways of Venice searching for your hotel sure doesn't sound like fun to me. There is a bus service to and from the Marco Polo Airport and picks up and drops off right at Piazzale Roma.

Here is a link to some other hotels in that area:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-airport-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

We booked a room at the Hotel Canal & Walter for our August cruise because we'll be flying out of Venice and wanted to be in a convenient spot for airport transfer. Of course, after 12 days on the Emerald Princess I doubt if any hotel room in Venice will compare but who spends time in their room when they're in Venice?

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for all your advice on hotels in Venice, Italy.

I will do my homework tonight. As always I knew I could count on my CruiseCritic members friends.

Your help is wonderful.

And by the way, no I am not from TN, but from the Cold, Artic Eastern part of Canada.

Thank you all.

Frankie Sue.

We stayed at what was then called the Park Hotel and is now the Sofitel Venezia. This was several years ago, but we wouldn't hesitate staying there again. In fact our next cruise ends in Venice and we probably will have a short stay there before we head home.

Hi Frankie Sue,

We're on the same cruise as you are, sailing on the Grand from Venice on May 26th. There is a great group of Grand Cruisers on the Princess Roll Call board and there's lots of information that we've been posting. Just look for the thread that says something like Venice to Rome May 26, 2007. Come join us.:)

And it's kind of fun to "get lost" for a bit - explore. The Piazzale Roma area is certainly NOT one of the prettier or atmospheric areas of Venice. The only benefit I see to it is its convenience to the cruise ship docks. And as far as schlepping your bags over bridges is concerned, you can take a water taxi to take you directly from the airport (well actually a short walk of a couple of hundred yards to the water taxis is involved) to your hotel - at least that was true for the Pensione Accademia and I know it's true for MANY others.

Think hard about what you want to do and see in Venice before making a hotel decision. But by all means, wherever you stay, walk around the city and have fun.

Sam

Water taxis are VERY expensive- at least ten times what you pay to take the ferry from the airport.

I spent 3 Euros from the airport on the bus to Piazzle Roma. The Sofitel is approx. 200 Euros and was the best one I have stayed in in Venice- including the Bauer, which costs 400-600 dollars per night. Once you settle in, you can walk all the way to St. Marks and if you get tired, take the vaporetto back (about three Euros).

Aah. My favorite place in the world. The place we stayed was Locanda Sant Agostin. Did an insane amount of research before choosing this one, and it paid off. Great place, includes a generous breakfast. Took a private water taxi from the airport (about $80/person - expensive, I know, but worth every cent when you're jet lagged) and it drops you right off at the hotel.

The BEST part of Venice is wandering around AWAY from the mobbed tourist areas - I would never want to stay in the St. Marks area. What made our whole stay in Venice was that we were away from the crowds, and got to see the real Venice.

Have the time of your life! I cried when I left!

Your respondents on this website obviously give excellent advice! I saw the Sofitel myself while walking over the bridge and thought I would like to stay there for a visit to Venice as it is extremely convenient!

A couple of thoughts for your voyage. First, although staying in Venice itself is closer to the cruise terminal, it may be quite expensive given the cost of water taxis in both directions (ie, from airport and to cruise terminal). If you are not planning to see that much of Venice on a one night stopover, then you could stay in Mestre which is closer by taxi and less expensive. My colleagues and I stayed at the Hotel Michelangelo in Mestre this past October and were very pleased with it. It has the advantage of being on dry land! And it is a close (and cheap) bus ride away from the sights of Venice.

Another point--I have recently been experiencing very serious luggage delays in Europe. I now travel in my working clothes as a result because I never know whether or not I will be "presentable" for the next 2 or 3 days. Perhaps you are confident that your luggage will arrive with you in Venice and be able to placed on board on time, but that was not my experience this past fall in Venice (or Europe generally). Just a thought--wouldn't like your lovely cruise to be ruined! If you really want to see Venice, an option might be to arrive a bit earlier and stay at a more reasonable hotel in Mestre--then you might be sure that your luggage went on the ship with you! But perhaps I have just had a string of very bad luck! Venice is such an amazing city I am sure you will enjoy it no matter what.

We stayed in the Hotel Belvedere on the Lido. Decent price..less busy than Venice proper..view out our window of Venice across the lagoon. water bus stop close to the hotel. only hassle was getting to the cruise by water bus....had to hump ourluggage ourselves and Venetians actually stood in my way when we tried to get off the boat. there are hotels by the train depot that connect to the air terminal by land. you can take a cab to the hotel and one to the ship. since you only have 1 day to stay that would likely be the best bet....attaching pictures of our hotel and the view of venice

1980738947_hotelbelvedere.jpg.6af73c9b7956d7768002404459b91c95.jpg

1766106588_viewfromlido.jpg.6bb3719cff17e952a32b02c7024ff8c8.jpg

Since we are thinking about a cruise next year that starts out in Venice and we plan to spend several days visiting prior to the cruise this thread is so helpful.

How far from all the main sights is the hotel Sofitel Venezia? Do any of the sightseeing tours have a pick up from that hotel? What would be the best way to get to the cruise terminal from there?

Thanks.:)

For those of you who want to see and experience Venice, I'd advise that you take a look at the Fodor's bulletin boards, as well as TripAdvisor and SlowTravel, for recommendations regarding where to stay in Venice. If you are simply flying into or out of Venice and have no particular desire to experience Venice, then it really doesn't matter where you stay - Venice is just the point of embarkation or disembarkation.

But I think you'll find that regular travelers to this part of Italy (they may take a cruise occasionally but usually mostly do land travel/touring) do NOT stay in Maestre or on Lido, but rather stay in Venice proper. And although there are advantages to staying near San Marco (proximity to St. Mark's square, the Doge's Palace, the campanile, the basilica), there are also disadvantages - hordes and hordes of tourists (unless you travel November through February?). Other districts (e.g., Dorsoduro) are close enough to the major attractions (and much closer to some) and offer a much more serene visit to a remarkable city.

Just my opinion,

Sam

For those of you who want to see and experience Venice, I'd advise that you take a look at the Fodor's bulletin boards, as well as TripAdvisor and SlowTravel, for recommendations regarding where to stay in Venice. If you are simply flying into or out of Venice and have no particular desire to experience Venice, then it really doesn't matter where you stay - Venice is just the point of embarkation or disembarkation.

But I think you'll find that regular travelers to this part of Italy (they may take a cruise occasionally but usually mostly do land travel/touring) do NOT stay in Maestre or on Lido, but rather stay in Venice proper. And although there are advantages to staying near San Marco (proximity to St. Mark's square, the Doge's Palace, the campanile, the basilica), there are also disadvantages - hordes and hordes of tourists (unless you travel November through February?). Other districts (e.g., Dorsoduro) are close enough to the major attractions (and much closer to some) and offer a much more serene visit to a remarkable city.

Just my opinion,

Sam

This author has it right--one would always want to stay in Venice itself! The old saying goes, "See Naples and die," but I think they got the city wrong in that saying.

However, there are "issues" if you are only there for one night and extremely jet lagged at the same time! Having seen so many people schlepping their luggage down those ally-like streets, on and off of the vaporettos, across the steps of the narrow bridges, frantically looking for the address of their small hotel, etc.,--particularly during the "aqua alta" (although that should not be a problem in May) when your suitcases will be splashed with water from the canals, it depends on how energetic you are! As an older girl (60), I was pleased to be in a place where I could actually take taxis! An interesting mystery series by the author Donna Leon chronicles the life of a family living in Venice and their perceptions of the tourists who crowd their lives--it is very enlightening!

No matter what you decide, you will have a fabulous time in Venice!

Since we are thinking about a cruise next year that starts out in Venice and we plan to spend several days visiting prior to the cruise this thread is so helpful.

How far from all the main sights is the hotel Sofitel Venezia? Do any of the sightseeing tours have a pick up from that hotel? What would be the best way to get to the cruise terminal from there?

Thanks.:)

If you look at a map of Venice, you will see that there is a bridge from the mainland to Venice. This is where all the cars come into the city. They park at Piazzle Roma. The bus from the airport drops you off there and you take a very short walk, over a little bridge and voila- you are at the Hotel. Also at Piazzle Roma are all the Vaporetto stands that will take you whereever you need to go. So all the sights are a quick vaporetto ride away or better yet- just follow the signs to San Marco (St. Mark's Square). You'll go over the Rialto Bridge, etc. in order to get to St. Marks. On the way back you can take the Vaporetto back to Piazzle Roma (if your feet are tired).

On the day of the cruise, it would be best to grab a taxi in Piazzle Roma to the ship. You'll literally be able to see the ship from Piazzle Roma but it is a good half mile walk and with luggage that might be difficult.

One thing I highly recommend it taking the ferry over to Burano (not Murano- the glass factory). Burano is a minature Venice and really charming. I loved shopping there and it is a nice ride.

Beware of the water taxis- very expensive.

This was one of the best cruises we ever went on. Like you we went to Venice a day early and walked around. We stayed at the Hotel Giorgione.

A|C and an elevator were important as well as in room bathrooms. You can find hotel on expedia. This is not on the Grand Canal but you will have plenty of time in that area while the ship is docked. Advice don't miss sailing out of Venice and be out on the deck so you can clearly hear the port guide. It truly is a sight to see the Grand going thru the grand canal. :)

Archived