Careful Of Booking Spirit Airlines

The problem is they guarn. only 1 bag for the (5 or 10 dollar charge)..What do you do with your second bag? Their is no guarn it will get on the plane and even if it did ...what about the return?

With longer cruises and only 50 lbs in the luggage and now having to bit additional items in the luggage that is not alot of weight, Figure 14 day cruise with all the things needed hubby and I usually have 3 pieces between us

Thank you very much, but since i live in the NY area which is highly competitive I will go with another airline

We were changed from a NON-stop flight to a flight with at least 2 hour layover. We orginially paid a HIGHER fare for the NON-stop option.

When we were changed to a flight with a lay-over, you don't think we should have been intitled to recoup the difference in price that we paid???? Our first schedule change was done less than 30 days after booking so the fares were still comparable at that time.

I am NOT talking about a simple flight time change.

Just so know one thinks I am crazy, let me break it down

ORGINAL SCHEDULE booked 12/26

11:45 Depart

12:40 Arrive

Return flight

4:45pm depart

7:40pm arrive

1st change 1/20

8:00am depart ( a 3h 45m change which we NEEDED the later time)

8:55am arrive for 2h5m layover

11:00 depart

11:40 arrive

return

9:35 pm depart

12:15pm arrive for 2h35m layover

2:55pm depart

4:00 arrive

2nd change 03/15

8:50 depart

9:45am arrive for a 1h15m layover

11:00 depart

11:40am arrive

return

2:35 depart

5:15 arrive for 1h40m layover

6:55 depart

8:00 arrive

3rd change 04/06

8:30 depart

9:25 arrival for a 2h20m layover

11:45 depart

12:40 arrival

return remained the same

4th change 05/24 (final change cause we cancelled!)

8:55am depart

9:53am arrival for a 2h10m layover

12:05 depart

12:45 arrival

return

2:30pm depart

5:15pm arrival for 2h40m layover

7:55pm depart

9:00 pmarrival

Now keep in mind our flight wasn't until August so one can only guess how many more times it would of changed!

If these types of changes are "common" with airlines. What is to stop them from "offering" non-stop flights at a higher fare to then change them to a flight with at least one stop and keeping the money that was charged for the higher non-stop flight??????

I agree that Spirit has some of the lowest fares out there...but if this is the hassle that I have to incur to save some money....no thanks I will pass and actually ENJOY my vacation!

Sorry for the lengthly post and to the OP for going off topic :)

I'm honestly not trying to be dense here but I'm still not really following. From the changes that you listed it looks like you booked about nine months in advance. You say the first change to a flight with stops was done within 30 days of booking and the prices were still comparable right? So if you really felt you were being ripped off why didn't you just take the refund and book somewhere else right then? It's not like you didn't have time to keep shopping around for flights. We'll have to agree to disagree I guess but I still don't see where the airline should compensate you further. Schedules change on airlines all the time and it looks like the last change was made 4 months out. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Definitely enough time to make a choice.

I saw where Spirit was offering a 1 cent ($0.01) one way sale yesterday...they must have been hoping someone hadn't seen their luggage restrictions and booked a "deal". They were featured on the news yesterday too in regards to new baggage restrictions.

:mad:

Yeah, but if you read the fine print on the 1 cent sale, you still had all kinds of charges: obviously the Sept 11 fee (is that $3 per landing and takeoff now?), any taxes, if you were flying to non-continental-US locations (i.e. Caribbean) there were local taxes to pay which could go up to $125!!! So really, depending on where you were flying that 1 cent could balloon up to $150! Not so much a bargain!

And only water will be free after 6/20. Everything else will be charged and they will not accept cash - only credit cards and debit cards. Guess they probably better start stocking up on cases of water on their planes!

All their policies and the dates in which they take affect can be found here:

https://www.spiritair.com/welcome.aspx?pg=policies

How is it not a bargain if you are only paying the required fees and taxes?:confused: Everywhere else you are paying the fare AND the required fees and taxes:eek:

Because I'm sure lots of people went into that sale thinking "I'm gonna pay 1 cent to fly (wherever)" and ended up paying about just as much as they would anywhere else. And I'm sure that you could probably just as easily found another flight on another airline for comparable costs even with all the taxes included (although I didn't try, but I bet I could've!). I also think the "taxes" were a creative way to add a few dollars here and there anyway.

Because I'm sure lots of people went into that sale thinking "I'm gonna pay 1 cent to fly (wherever)" and ended up paying about just as much as they would anywhere else. And I'm sure that you could probably just as easily found another flight on another airline for comparable costs even with all the taxes included (although I didn't try, but I bet I could've!). I also think the "taxes" were a creative way to add a few dollars here and there anyway.

I bet you couldn't find a comparable or cheaper fare than the 1c fare.:eek:

You've got to be kidding me!! Of course I'm just reading this and just booked my wonderful Spirit flight today!!!!:mad: Now I have to stress even more on my packing. And of course an extra bag is needed for my shopping :D!

My guess is that most of the comments on this thread are from people who have not flown recently and not much in their life. You, the demanding traveling public, want to fly in 2007 at 1977 prices. It is just not gonna happen. You want 2 pieces of checked luggage? You want a hot meal served to you? You want to take a nap with pillows and blankets? Fine, pay 400 dollars instead of the 149 you are paying and you can have all those things. It is you the public that has brought a lot of this about. Lets not forget the price of fuel is up over 100 percent in the last 3 years. Damn those airlines for trying to make a profit while the traveling public wants more for less. I am sorry. No sympathy from me. And yes. I work for an airline. I have taken paycuts and have busted my ass to keep my airline out of bankruptcy. So either accept the fact the cheapest and safest way to travel is by air but with a few hitches along the way. Or you can call Greyhound or Amtrack.

My guess is that most of the comments on this thread are from people who have not flown recently and not much in their life. You, the demanding traveling public, want to fly in 2007 at 1977 prices. It is just not gonna happen. You want 2 pieces of checked luggage? You want a hot meal served to you? You want to take a nap with pillows and blankets? Fine, pay 400 dollars instead of the 149 you are paying and you can have all those things. It is you the public that has brought a lot of this about. Lets not forget the price of fuel is up over 100 percent in the last 3 years. Damn those airlines for trying to make a profit while the traveling public wants more for less. I am sorry. No sympathy from me. And yes. I work for an airline. I have taken paycuts and have busted my ass to keep my airline out of bankruptcy. So either accept the fact the cheapest and safest way to travel is by air but with a few hitches along the way. Or you can call Greyhound or Amtrack.

I fly anywhere from 6-8 times a year on average for the past 5 years or so as more and more of my friends move away. Most of those trips are for weekend trips. The airline industry is a SERVICE industry. Sorry if you don't like the comments, but its like any other service industry - I don't have to patronize your company if I don't like the way its running. The more people that don't like the way its running - the worse off you end up with consequences leading up to bankruptcy and worst, ceasing to exist. So yeah, I expect a certain quality of service and when comparing companies that provide a service, I'm gonna go for the one I feel is best for my needs. Other people letting me check two bags for a cheaper price when I'm off for a two week business trip? I'm off to give them my patronage. It's all about the bang for the buck. No bang? You don't get my bucks.

The traveling public is allowed to choose whatever level of customer service they are willing to pay for. Just as you are not obligated to purchase an item that you feel is not of good value to you, people are afforded the same choice. Whether Spirit makes a go of it is up to the consumer. If people are willing to pay more on an airline that provides more service that is their choice. If you didn't like taking a paycut then you should have left. No one keeps you there. It is your choice to manage your career however you see fit . But you must have felt the paycut was acceptable, because you stayed. But if you feel that we the travelling public owe the airlines something, then you are wrong. After 9-11 the airlines received a huge lump sum from the American tax payer with nothing demanded in return. As far as the price of fuel is concerned all airlines have to pay that so relative cost goes up amongst all flights. It is called inflation. People accept it.

PS if people do what you suggest by seeking other travel arrangements, then you would take a 100% paycut since you would be out of work.

The traveling public is allowed to choose whatever level of customer service they are willing to pay for. Just as you are not obligated to purchase an item that you feel is not of good value to you, people are afforded the same choice. Whether Spirit makes a go of it is up to the consumer. If people are willing to pay more on an airline that provides more service that is their choice. If you didn't like taking a paycut then you should have left. No one keeps you there. It is your choice to manage your career however you see fit . But you must have felt the paycut was acceptable, because you stayed. But if you feel that we the travelling public owe the airlines something, then you are wrong. After 9-11 the airlines received a huge lump sum from the American tax payer with nothing demanded in return. As far as the price of fuel is concerned all airlines have to pay that so relative cost goes up amongst all flights. It is called inflation. People accept it.

PS if people do what you suggest by seeking other travel arrangements, then you would take a 100% paycut since you would be out of work.

That was exactly the point. People want dirt cheap prices for flights yet they want to keep the amenities that they had when fuel was half the price it is now. Go ahead and pay more for the flights that offer the amenities you want. The state of the industry indicates that the majority of people WON'T pay more and that's why the prices end up heavily discounted so the planes don't fly half empty. When you refer to the rising price of fuel and inflationary pressures for all airlines you're not looking at the big picture. The prices of flights haven't gone up and many of the companies are in big trouble because of it. They've got to do something innovative to turn a profit and I think we'll see more and more of this sort of thing.

In the big picture it is the market that sets the price. There is a finite pool of passengers seeking to maximize their dollars. As with all industries there are a number of competitors chasing that pool. As I stated the market will decide the outcome of Spirit's approach. If the model they are using is secure it will pay off, if not they will change it. But the market is also self correcting, and the cost versus revenue picture drives it. As it stands now the average fare is up 18% over the last two years with an estimate of a 6% increase this year. And with airlines seeking to streamline what had become bloated operations, the flights were nearly 80% full. People will spend more to fly, because if they want to get from point a to point b they will have to pay whatever the market demands. And with the demand for air travel showing no signs of diminishing the prices will go up. Basic law of supply and demand.

The Airline I work for paid the price that day. Twice. And we have been paying ever since.

I fly anywhere from 6-8 times a year on average for the past 5 years or so as more and more of my friends move away. Most of those trips are for weekend trips. The airline industry is a SERVICE industry. Sorry if you don't like the comments, but its like any other service industry - I don't have to patronize your company if I don't like the way its running. The more people that don't like the way its running - the worse off you end up with consequences leading up to bankruptcy and worst, ceasing to exist. So yeah, I expect a certain quality of service and when comparing companies that provide a service, I'm gonna go for the one I feel is best for my needs. Other people letting me check two bags for a cheaper price when I'm off for a two week business trip? I'm off to give them my patronage. It's all about the bang for the buck. No bang? You don't get my bucks.

I am sorry. The airline industry is not just a Service industry. It is one of the major components of this country's commerce. Also, there is not any more bang left in flying. It is all about the bucks. If my airline is 50 dollars more then Brand X, Brand X is going to get 80 percent of the business. Why? Because the average leisure traveler is all about the buck. The businessman is about the bang, because he is not paying for it.

Read these boards. People going on cruises book the cheapest possible seats they can get. They do not care about the bang.

Read these boards. People going on cruises book the cheapest possible seats they can get. They do not care about the bang.

But now they will have to pay for the bang so to speak. If people want to bring more than one bag it will cost more, either by paying an extra fee on Spirit or going to a higher priced competitor. That is the way it is. It is about supply and demand. It is an upward price adjustment due to a product that is in demand.

I agree. I should say that my outburst:o was based upon comments like

this earlier in the thread....

That's insane!!!! They won't let you bring anything on the plane, and now they are limiting what you can check?????? NUTS! Someone, somewhere has to put these airlines in their place!

You would have thought that since carry-on stuff is so restricted, that they would have "upped' the weight limit on checked bags. Not so! Crazy, isn't it!

But now they will have to pay for the bang so to speak. If people want to bring more than one bag it will cost more, either by paying an extra fee on Spirit or going to a higher priced competitor. That is the way it is. It is about supply and demand. It is an upward price adjustment due to a product that is in demand.

Actually, it is yet to be determined whether or not it is an upward price adjustment. As you yourself say, market tolerance will dictate the price point.

Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (March 6, 2007) – Spirit Airlines announced today it has lowered many fares up to 40% as part of a new approach that empowers customers with the ability to customize their travel experience.

Spirit’s new approach liberates customers from being forced into paying for services they do not desire or use. Now when customers are seeking the best value in travel they can choose a low fare at spiritair.com and select the services and options appropriate for their travel needs. Spirit’s new ultra low cost model driven from numerous efficiencies, new aircraft, advanced technology and dedicated staff allows the airline to take this new approach offering savings to millions of customers in The Caribbean, Latin American and The United States.

“This revolutionary approach is part of our ULCC (Ultra Low Cost Carrier) model driven by high utilization and overall efficiency,” said Ben Baldanza, Spirit’s CEO and President. “Our new cost structure is among the lowest in the world, now trending to less than five cents ex-fuel per available seat mile.”

True. But we will need to see if Spirit actually drops it fares (I should say on popular routes, I have been tracking a route for a while in which I was interested in and have yet to see a price drop) or just reduces it's service.

Actually, it is yet to be determined whether or not it is an upward price adjustment. As you yourself say, market tolerance will dictate the price point.

Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (March 6, 2007) – Spirit Airlines announced today it has lowered many fares up to 40% as part of a new approach that empowers customers with the ability to customize their travel experience.

Spirit’s new approach liberates customers from being forced into paying for services they do not desire or use. Now when customers are seeking the best value in travel they can choose a low fare at spiritair.com and select the services and options appropriate for their travel needs. Spirit’s new ultra low cost model driven from numerous efficiencies, new aircraft, advanced technology and dedicated staff allows the airline to take this new approach offering savings to millions of customers in The Caribbean, Latin American and The United States.

“This revolutionary approach is part of our ULCC (Ultra Low Cost Carrier) model driven by high utilization and overall efficiency,” said Ben Baldanza, Spirit’s CEO and President. “Our new cost structure is among the lowest in the world, now trending to less than five cents ex-fuel per available seat mile.”

I don't have an issue with paying for an "extra bag"...what is annoying is that when I booked on line, there was no statement that came up telling me the rules were changing. That would have been nice to know before I booked - this is not insignificant when you are flying to a cruise - there is simply a lot to pack. I may have made a different choice of carrier, esepcially when a cruise is involved - it is hard to get a delayed bag to you when you are in the middle of the Caribbean Sea!!!

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to pay extra for my second bag - what is bothersome is that there is no guarantee it will get there (but is there very really a guarantee??:o ) and second, if they won't take it, what are you supposed to do with your suitcase - I am pretty sure that airport secruity has removed any lockers where you could store it for a week... Will Spirit hold your bag for you I wonder?

CCC

True. But we will need to see if Spirit actually drops it fares (I should say on popular routes, I have been tracking a route for a while in which I was interested in and have yet to see a price drop) or just reduces it's service.

AGREE! I just checked a flight too. We had booked a flight for August 2006 from Orlando to Montego Bay(the one we ended up cancelling) The total, including taxes and fees for that flight for two people was 424.74

It has a layover in Ft. Lauderdale.

That SAME flight for August 2007 is 715.96!!!!!! :eek:

It went UP by 291.22

Having said that, I checked out a couple other airlines. Remember it is for two people and includes taxes and fees.

I can book on American for 722.60 which is only 6.64 more and I can check TWO bags at NO additional cost and not pay for sodas/juices or snacks. It also includes one stop.

You could go a step further and book on yet another airline, Air Jamaica, for a total of 734.46, which is only 18.50 more, again I can check two bags at no additional fee, not pay for sodas/juices or snacks AND its a NON STOP flight!

You can bet your booty that I would book with Air Jamaica. Especially when you consider its really only 8.50 more once you add the 5.00 a bag for both myself and my husband to the Spirit fare.

AGREE! I just checked a flight too. We had booked a flight for August 2006 from Orlando to Montego Bay(the one we ended up cancelling) The total, including taxes and fees for that flight for two people was 424.74

It has a layover in Ft. Lauderdale.

That SAME flight for August 2007 is 715.96!!!!!! :eek:

It went UP by 291.22

Having said that, I checked out a couple other airlines. Remember it is for two people and includes taxes and fees.

I can book on American for 722.60 which is only 6.64 more and I can check TWO bags at NO additional cost and not pay for sodas/juices or snacks. It also includes one stop.

You could go a step further and book on yet another airline, Air Jamaica, for a total of 734.46, which is only 18.50 more, again I can check two bags at no additional fee, not pay for sodas/juices or snacks AND its a NON STOP flight!

You can bet your booty that I would book with Air Jamaica. Especially when you consider its really only 8.50 more once you add the 5.00 a bag for both myself and my husband to the Spirit fare.

EXCEPT....the price reductions and charges don't go into effect until June 19th...So, you are not comparing prices at the right time.....

Archived