infant/toddler safety/comfort

jmao

We are going to cruise in late June-early July to Freeport, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya. At that time, I will have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. (Crazy, I know.:eek: ) I am concerned about safety and comfort. I am wondering about taking a booster and car seat. Should I take them for travel in autos at the ports? What are the laws regarding car seat safety in each port? How available are van/minibuses as taxi service goes? Or should I forego them for ease of travel?

Second, I am wavering on a stroller. Not so much on the ship/cruise but about taking a travel SYSTEM on a plane. I have emailed the airline and the response to taking a stroller is "as long as it folds completely" (of which I'm not sure a system does). I plan to hold the 10 month old on the plane (no seat purchased for him). I am wondering what to do about the 3 year old on the plane too - He will have a seat, but what do airlines allow: carseat, booster, only their lap belt?

Last, my kids love the water and I was thinking about the dolphin encounter? What are your experiences and thoughts on that?:rolleyes:

We are going to cruise in late June-early July to Freeport, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya. At that time, I will have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. (Crazy, I know.:eek: ) I am concerned about safety and comfort. I am wondering about taking a booster and car seat. Should I take them for travel in autos at the ports? What are the laws regarding car seat safety in each port? How available are van/minibuses as taxi service goes? Or should I forego them for ease of travel?

Second, I am wavering on a stroller. Not so much on the ship/cruise but about taking a travel SYSTEM on a plane. I have emailed the airline and the response to taking a stroller is "as long as it folds completely" (of which I'm not sure a system does). I plan to hold the 10 month old on the plane (no seat purchased for him). I am wondering what to do about the 3 year old on the plane too - He will have a seat, but what do airlines allow: carseat, booster, only their lap belt?

Last, my kids love the water and I was thinking about the dolphin encounter? What are your experiences and thoughts on that?:rolleyes:

You're not crazy at all...many of us here travel with our children that age. If you plan on using taxis in port, then yes you need the car seats. I try to get around this by taking other transportation like water taxis and excursion buses, but you can't always do that.

You NEED a stroller. No doubt. The 10 month old will prbably nap in the stroller while you are out and about. So get an umbrella travel stroller that

reclines and folds completly. There are cheaper options out there so you won't have to break the bank.

I've done the dolphin encounter in Freeport with my 2 year old and (then) 6 year old. You'll have to hold both of your children, so have another adult there with you. My kids loved it. They were a *little* apprehensive, but they enjoyed it.

If you do the Freeport Dolphin Encounter, you do have to ride in an excursion bus, then take a boat to the encounter.

If you're crazy then so am I. :D I'm taking a 3yo and a 1 yo on just about that same cruise. I wish I had suggestions for you, but I have only cruised with dh, never with kids. I can tell you that if you read almost all of the Family Cruising posts, you'll get answers to most of your questions. It takes some time, but it will put your mind at ease. There are posts about car seats, giving baby a bath in a cruise shower, excursions, dining, Camp Carnival, you name it. We plan to do excursions where we can take a bus so we won't have to cart car seats all over. We also purchased a cheap, but great umbrella stroller. It's called the Chicco C6. It was only about $50. It has a two position seat back for naps, a good sun visor, a basket, a 5 point restraint, and a travel bag. My baby is 9 months now and she is very comfortable in it. It folds up really small and only weighs about 11lbs.

Keep posting and happy planning.

If you are concerned about safety, please put both children in a car seat/restraint on the plane. The carrier from your "travel system" can be used for the 10 month old rear facing on the plane. You will be asked to gate check the stroller. Your 3 year old could use an FAA approved car seat. Just check your current car seat info - it'll let you know. Boosters aren't FAA approved.

There are some other products that may also work - a "sit 'n stroll" for the 10 month old. It works as a car seat and stroller and will work in the plane seat also. (Less hauling!)

For the 3 year old - the CARES restraint which is just for planes. It's just straps to give you a harness rather than just a lap belt. (Less hauling!)

If your 3 year old is in a booster, I'm assuming he's over 40 lbs and tall. There are 19.99 flat boosters that would pack easily in your luggage or backpack for taxi rides on the islands. (Easy to haul)

Most Carribean islands and Mexico require car seats in taxis. Enforcement is lax - but child safety is important. You may have to hunt for the seat belts -down in the seat or behind the seat. Once in a great while you may have to wait a minute for a second taxi. - but he will be there looking for his fare!

Buses as in the US do not require car seats.

Packing and carrying logistics are half the battle when traveling with kids!

Good luck!

Thanks for all your help. It has put my mind at ease. I am in the process of reading all the family posts/threads. Of course, between work and kids I have to do it little at a time. Again, thanks!:rolleyes:

I have cruised with my 17 month old twice, once at 7 months and again at a year. We brought the car seat the first time and found the taxi's did not have seatbelts in the backseat so the next time we left it at home and just held her on our laps. Bahamas/Caribbean have no carseat rules but if you are traveling by taxi in the US then you must have one. The stroller is also a must!!! We brought a lightweight smaller stroller with a canopy that reclines. Definitely a must for napping, you will be surprised how much the "new atmosphere" wears your little one out!

Julie

Archived