Currency

we're on the Jewel Transatlantic in April from Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam.

Does any one know if Euros can be used in Ireland, Great Britain, Belgium, Paris and Amsterdam or does each country use their own currency.

Also do the ATM's onboard dispence Euros or just U.S. dollars.

Thanks

we're on the Jewel Transatlantic in April from Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam.

Does any one know if Euros can be used in Ireland, Great Britain, Belgium, Paris and Amsterdam or does each country use their own currency.

Also do the ATM's onboard dispence Euros or just U.S. dollars.

Thanks

In Great Britain we still use Pounds, In southern Ireland, Belgium, France and Netherlands they all use the Euro €.

Currency on board will be $$ and I suspect that the ATM will dispense $$.

Since it is a transatlantic, the ships Bank will have Euros on board and can exchange US dollars into Euros for you. We did this on 2 TAs last year. Don't know about the British pound. But since the ship is stopping there they may have those as well.

I just got back from London last week and they use only pounds - Euros were not accepted. I took a friends advice and got my pounds from the ATM's - also called 'Cash Points in the UK, over there and was charged NOTHING! I had called my bank here ahead of time and they told me they wouldn't charge me to use a machine over there. When I got there it said right on the machine that I went to that they did not charge so it was a good deal all around. And I was given that days exchange rate vs. a modified one in the banks favor which you get at visitors bureaus, on the ship, at a bank, etc. The ATM's were everywhere so getting your pounds that way was not a problem at all.

Some US banks have agreements with other banks and do not change a fee at ATM's for each others customers. I know in the UK that Barclays Bank / Bank Of America have this type of agreement. Check the various Bank's websites for exact information.

One warning about ATM use. In many countries, the ATMs will automatically draw from chequing accounts. It will not ask you if you want money from your chequing or your savings accounts (never mind from "other accounts"). So make sure that you leave money in your chequing account.

We had to call our bank from London to get them to put money into the chequing account as all our funds were in our savings account instead.

Archived