***LIVE*** FROM THE GOLDEN PRINCESS with Arlene & Tony

arlenemilt

Bill- No, I wasn't on the DUSTS cruise last year, although I've heard it was a wonderful trip. I wonder if the tour company can actually make that $200 stick if it wasn't in the contract when you signed up? I'd be very interested in finding out.

Curt and Cindy- Glad you're feeling better, it's got to be rough to be sick on vacation. Cindy...you've gotta get out there and win some luggage tags, make the old team proud! (Make some noise...)

Tony- I'm happy you're back on board and keeping us homebodies up to date on your travels. Thanks for feeding our habit!!

Kathleen....trust me when I say we had the best weather this season thus far on that entire New Orleans to Rio de Janeiro and Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires (Antartica Cruise).

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

I think that's because you get the more experianced cruiser on an itinerary like this and the parents know better than to assume the cruise line will do their job for them but that's a topic for a different forum. Thanks for doing it!

Kim...you assertion makes perfect sense and you are probably right!

Tony

Bill: That would really be some LIVE if you were to be on the same ship with us. Could the Board handle it? :rolleyes:

Going to do something constructive now. Read. Later. Maybe.

Arlene

With the new internet policy you will probably need to tag team in order to keep the expense down. With three of you doing this you could rotate. Hummmmm. . . .just took a look at that itinerary and have been wondering what we were going to do next year. Maybe Wally and I will join you too.:D

Stacey

So the mattresses on the Golden are still the hard thin ones? We are on the new Royal this coming November and hoping for better. I thought Mrs. Calabash (Olson) had family from Calabash, NC. It is a very small town between Myrtle Beach SC and Wilmington, NC. Any way that's the tale I have heard around here.

tony

couple of questions for you

how do you get invited to captains quarters for drinks?? what are his quarters like? roomy??

there has been chatter re excursion to antarctica for day by plane. how was this arranged?? which port did it leave from??

jim

Hey Arlene... How are you and Milt...not good to be feeling ill on a cruise..Is the weather getting better and is the ship more smooth? We have experience the "perfect storm" and it was no fun..Hi to all the CC's on the cruise... keep the live post going... really enjoy the details.

As usual, I'm thoroughly enjoying your "Live from".

On the bright side... when we went around the Horn, the ocean was like glass. The onboard narrator said it was the calmest he'd ever seen. As we rounded the tip of the Horn, the Captain announced he was going to take full advantage of our good luck and that we would be staying there for a few hours. I wish for all of you the same experience.

Are you planning to travel out to the Penguin Reserve in Punta Arenas? We hopped a taxi after an early lunch and found ourselves almost alone at the reserve... between the ship's morning and afternoon tour. The wind was whipping around and it was bitter cold but the penguins were amazing.

Enjoy! Sandy

How do you put a picture into the message? A simple paste?

The real key is to make sure you put the image into the post, and not the link. If you put the link in, when people look later they get the current webcam, which defeats the purpose.

Kiwi Kruzer does a great job of doing this. JotWorld, looks like we're going to have to send you back for some remedial picture posting though :).

(Off the top of my head, I honestly don't remember if pasting works, or if it gets you the link. I vaguely recall having to make a copy on my desktop then upload it last time I tried to do it. Apparently I must need the remedial picture posting lesson too since I can't remember.)

It seems their are trivia players out there. :) I have acquired a lot of Princess stuff (oops prizes) in my past cruises.:cool: If anyone has an opening on their team, I sure would like to sit in (especially the smart ones):D . I am sure you all know more than I do, with all of the cruises and games youv'e been a part of, but I enjoy it just the same.

Marianne

Marianne

I had to smile at the comment about stuff (oops prizes). Our daughter worked for Princess and during her 2nd contract she was docking in Ft. Lauderdale...so the rest of the family met the ship and had Christmas with her that year. I was so excited and impressed with all my "Princess stuff" I got for Xmas....we then joined her on the ship later in the year and I won Trivia and got the same "gift" as I had gotten for Xmas...That girl was so "busted"! I still give her a hard time about it. We were on the Egyptian cruise this year and all the prizes looked like all the junk I've got in a closet.

I'm ready for new prizes!:D

Marianne

I had to smile at the comment about stuff (oops prizes). Our daughter worked for Princess and during her 2nd contract she was docking in Ft. Lauderdale...so the rest of the family met the ship and had Christmas with her that year. I was so excited and impressed with all my "Princess stuff" I got for Xmas....we then joined her on the ship later in the year and I won Trivia and got the same "gift" as I had gotten for Xmas...That girl was so "busted"! I still give her a hard time about it. We were on the Egyptian cruise this year and all the prizes looked like all the junk I've got in a closet.

I'm ready for new prizes!:D

Actually, going back a few cruises I have gotten some nicer stuff. (some I must admit still in their little cases) A small gold colored mantal clock (color fading & not running still in box x 2) a foldup princess clock-calcuator (which I used often battery needs replacing x 2) a few leather luggage tags (in use) assorted back packs, fanny packs, beach bags, pens, cups, probably other things I gave away, lost or just don't remember. I do however, enjoy the quest and the winning when able. Oh, I think there might have been an occasional bottle of something. I still use several things and from time to time find a surprise when pulling out luggage.

What are all the things you other trivia or game players have stashed away from various cruises. I'll bet we could all have a few laughs.

Marianne

What is "the office"? I am still trying to figure out some of the shorthand. Some finally click, but some, hmmm.

All of the descriptive posts are wonderful.

How rocky has the ship been. It seems several are under the weather. (Arlene, hope Milt's back is better now)

After cruising so often, do most of you not go to the shows? Other than trivia and the internet and eating of course, what do you do with your time? I for one still try to do most everything, so far have only done one cruise a year. (until this year, going to do Canada/New England for the fall colors in October.) Hope to sail more once the house gets sold. This site has really been wonderful, really sorry I never knew about it before.

Well we will see you all a week from today, no thats tomorrow. Really starting to pack soon, although as usual, the day before will tell the tale.

See you soon and may the weather be great and the ports full of adventure (not pickpockets)

Marianne

Good Morning Marianne,

I'm with you, some of the shorthand clicks and I ignore the rest. I can only speak for Vicky and myself, we try to make all the shows unless we remember that we saw the entertainers before. Like the Den West show the other night Vicky told me that we saw them on the Transatlantic Sailing last December, I didn't remember because I unfortunately slept through their performance. So this time it was a great show for me.:)

As far as the rockiness of the ship, you have to ask the others on board, it doesn't affect me (knock on wood) so I don't even think about it until someone tells me that the ship is rocking, I just love cruising. I really feel bad for the others that get sea sick, my heart goes out to them (but not to the point that I want to share the experience with them).

As far as what do we do with our time? What ever we want to, take a nap, go excercise, shows, dancing, and of course eating. To a cruiser, the most difficult decision to make, is what are you going to eat.

See you soon,

Bill and Vicky:)

Bill, Your reports are excellent & you must be a very light sleeper & early riser, Thank you!

My Best!

jotBill(MTA)

Good Morning to you Bill,

When we were on the Golden together on the Atlantic Crossing, if you remember I took the morning shift the earrrrllly morning shift. That was a great cruise.:eek: :D

Bill

Hi Everyone on the Golden!

Thanks to all you who are taking time to include us on the first part of the voyage. It's great to hear about what's going on.

Bill, I thought my DH was the only person up before daybreak - he keeps telling me it's beautiful. So far, I haven't been able to pull myself out of bed to check it out. I'll just continue to take his word for it!!

We are getting even more excited about joining in Valparaiso and look forward to meeting everyone.

Good Morning,

Your DH is right, it is beautiful. Sounds like Vicky is like you, at this time she is sleeping and missing the beautiful morning.

See you soon,

Bill:rolleyes:

Just checked the Navy Oceanography site and it looks like you might be in for some rough waters for at least the next 24 hours.

The good news is Thursday in Punta Arenas is now showing mostly sunny.

Thank you for the update. Hope it stays that way (Punta Arenas that is). I tried weather.com just for the heck of it and could not find my way, next time I will copy and use your direct link.

Bill

So the mattresses on the Golden are still the hard thin ones? We are on the new Royal this coming November and hoping for better. I thought Mrs. Calabash (Olson) had family from Calabash, NC. It is a very small town between Myrtle Beach SC and Wilmington, NC. Any way that's the tale I have heard around here.

I always used Calabasas for the town in Southern Ca. but am glad to know it's Calabash NC.

Bill

The real key is to make sure you put the image into the post, and not the link. If you put the link in, when people look later they get the current webcam, which defeats the purpose.

Kiwi Kruzer does a great job of doing this. JotWorld, looks like we're going to have to send you back for some remedial picture posting though :).

(Off the top of my head, I honestly don't remember if pasting works, or if it gets you the link. I vaguely recall having to make a copy on my desktop then upload it last time I tried to do it. Apparently I must need the remedial picture posting lesson too since I can't remember.)

Bill (MTA), whichever way it is that you post the image from the webcam, please continue to do it. I like how we can get the current image when viewing your posting. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I noticed it. I like to go back to your post when there hasn't been a new one posted. Thank you.:D ;) For anyone else who likes it, it's on page 8, post 155.

David aka Kiwi Kruzer, thank you also for the webcam images that you provide.

You have both given us choices.....to each his own.:cool:

Mary

Good Morning Bill,

I guess we are the early birds. Like you and your DW, my DH and I love to take in all the shows and all the entertainment provided. Even though I have seen Piano Man 4 times, it is different every time. The sets are sometimes different depending on the size of the ship. Some have more elaborate sets and the smaller ships don't. The cast is always different so we do see a "new" but familiar show each time. I have enjoyed them all but do hope Princess will come up with new ones soon.

Thank you for your daily updates.:D

Mary

Arlene, how is Milt today? Hope he is better. His "pain" saved you from a "soaking" yesterday. At least you you got to stay warm and dry while others going ashore got soaked.:D To better days ahead!

We had to wait over 50 minutes in the cold and rain (as well as others) before we got back onboard.

Tony, I know elite get priority tendering when leaving the ship. Do you also get it when returning to the ship from port?

Mary

A Good Morning Update,

Yesterday, Vicky and I decided to take the tender ashore to see the Falkland Islands. As posted previously, there was a steady drizzle of rain. We decided to pick up some gifts for everyone back home. It was a mob scene at every store we entered, people everywhere, but we managed to find what we were looking for (some rulers, pencils, erasers, etc, for our one of our daughters who is a primary school teacher, so she can give to them to her class). I thought the prices for souveniers were reasonable, the residents could have taken us visitors for more money (bought hat for father 5 pounds or about $10 dollars). I have seen hats go for $20 or more in the states at tourist spots. After shopping we took some pictures of the whale bones and then preceeded to enter the line back to the ship. We went to early dinner last night so we could go to the Gaucho Del Plata show and get a good seat. Vicky had the Fish entre, and I had the Swordfish with a plate of Gnochi on the side, both were excellent choices. The desserts are always excellent. The show on the other hand, after hearing raves about the show from JJ Cruise Director, was a big disapointment for both of us. Since there was no Mauricio last night as he had a night off, we decided to turn in early.

Bill and Vicky:)

Good Morning Bill,

I guess we are the early birds. Like you and your DW, my DH and I love to take in all the shows and all the entertainment provided. Even though I have seen Piano Man 4 times, it is different every time. The sets are sometimes different depending on the size of the ship. Some have more elaborate sets and the smaller ships don't. The cast is always different so we do see a "new" but familiar show each time. I have enjoyed them all but do hope Princess will come up with new ones soon.

Thank you for your daily updates.

Mary

Mary,

You are absolutely right, some singers are better, some set decorations are better, and of course some backstage people are better in making all the changes, and I must not forget the lighting and music and dancers.

Again Adios,

Bill:)

enroute to Cape Horn. Seas are calm, skies overcast, but no sign of rain. Yet. Did our gym workout at a bit past 7:00 AM, breakfast (if that's what you want to call it) at Horizon Court and............here I am!

Last night we lost 4 of our tablemates; 2 returned late and were full of "guano" so decided to shower and stay out of the diningroom. Bill and Vicky "vanted to be ahlooooone" so they missed out on some fantastic company and food. LOL Our maitre d did it again. We were surprised with delicious calamari and fried shrimp with a yummy marinara sauce. Then up popped a seafood risotto; that was it for me for dinner. Why bother ordering anything else?

Entertainment last night was the production Motor City; again. We again opted out of that. There was also a gaucho show; been there, done that. Bill told me a little while again it was not that good. We did attend a 50's music trivia later in the evening and again lost by one point. Don't you just hate that? :mad: We stayed to observe the sock hop; didn't participate. Asked Milt if he wanted to Lindy and he reminded me of his sore hip. Oh yeh.........forgot.

All kinds of game stuff this AM like Outburst (which I dislike) and Balderdash (which I know nothing about). If I get out of this room in time, I might look into that one and see what it's all about.

We're having a cruise critic meeting at noon; it's in the Patter so no excuses accepted from anyone. Earl, I will say hi for you to Curt and Cindy and Donna and Dennis.

There's a morning movie "Invincible" with Mark Wahlberg. Never heard of it and can't attend since it will conflict with trivia. Priorities, priorities. :)

Milt and I both took ginger caps last night and again this morning. Trying to circumvent any additional ocean movement before it starts. Might help; can't hurt.

The elusive JJ, our CD, is still elusive. I haven't seen him once, except on the morning TV presentation.

To whomever asked the question about the mattresses - ours is fine. Maybe the egg crate helps or perhaps it's the rocking, but I sleep more soundly here than I do at home. The pillows are better than mine too.

Time to start paying some bills. Later.

Arlene

Just checked the Navy Oceanography site and it looks like you might be in for some rough waters for at least the next 24 hours. :(

The good news is Thursday in Punta Arenas is now showing mostly sunny.

Thanks for teh heads up on the weather!

Tony

Archived