Seabourn/Charlie Palmer menu items

CruisinMatt

Since Seabourn cuisine is often discussed here and there on other threads, I thought I'd start one that is dedicated to it!

What are your favorites and/or least favorites?

I love any of the pasta dishes. I also find the filet mignon especially delicious.

I love the cheese boards and the Creme Brulee en parade.

Adding to Matt's list: twice baked goat's cheese soufflé; lobster, lobster, lobster; poached salmon and "The Piano" dessert when Seabourn used to do the Chef's Tasting Dinner (precursor to "Tastings at 2") in the restaurant.

Paul, are you saying that now with Tastings 2 they no longer offer any tasting menus in the Restaurant?

Matt, yes, that was my understanding. However, the only cruise I have been on since "2" was introduced was the 11/06 Legend crossing. Seabourn sailors? I will be most happy to keep you "posted" (pun most definitely intended :p ) whether or not tasting menus are offered in the restaurant in addition to "2" during the upcoming Pride crossing.

I enjoyed those small-portion tasting menu dinners in the restaurant and would tell any Seabourn newbies that the rolled up and tied with a ribbon menu, upon completion of the meal, also functions as their "Dining Diploma." ;)

>"and "The Piano" dessert when Seabourn used to do the Chef's Tasting Dinner (precursor to "Tastings at 2") in the restaurant."

There are still special 'Tasting Menus' on some formal nights. I had at least two on my last cruise. The "Piano" was not the dessert, but another chocolate creation, equally divine, left us amazed.

I think all the chefs have the latitude to vary the menus and dishes, depending on the cruise, available food resources, and perhaps a special talent of the chef.

But I do vote for the goat cheese souffle and breadsticks; and I agree, the beef is very good.

Jane (back to Lean Cuisine here)

Hi,

What is "tasting 2" and lobster,lobster,lobster?

I never sailed SEABOURN but we are going APRIL 10 2007,and you are getting me hungry.

JIM

Tastings at 2 is the evening alternative restaurant (The Verandah by day). You are served several small dishes, usually including appetizers, entree, soup and desserts. Wine accompanies each dish. I've eaten at 2 on a few occassions and enjoyed the experience each time. Lobster, lobster, lobster is one of Charlie Palmers signature Seabourn dishes. It is lobster served 3 ways as an entree.

Have a great cruise next month!

Host Dan

My understanding is that the chefs have no latitude in the preparation of the Charlie Palmer dishes. They are even required to follow plating diagrams for each dish. Otherwise, the thinking goes, they wouldn't be Charlie Palmer Signature Dishes but someone else's. Based on my own visits to Charlie Palmer's restaurants and steakhouses, I don't think the Seabourn versions taste the same as the restaurant versions. Not better or worse, just not the same.

There are still special 'Tasting Menus' on some formal nights. I had at least two on my last cruise. The "Piano" was not the dessert, but another chocolate creation, equally divine, left us amazed.

Thanks, East Coast Jane! I am glad this is still an option. I'll try and not "rub it in" as far as the crossing gastronomic delights. ;)

Hi,

What is "tasting 2" and lobster,lobster,lobster?

I never sailed SEABOURN but we are going APRIL 10 2007,and you are getting me hungry.

JIM

Jim, if you enjoy fine dining, then you will have a GREAT time on Seabourn! :) The Lobster, Lobster, Lobster is my favorite dinner and usually served on the first formal night of the cruise. It is: lobster spring roll, lobster tail and salad with lobster sauce. Yum - yum!

During the daytime, the Veranda Cafe offers a casual alternative to the restaurant. At night for dinner, the Veranda becomes "2" also a casual alternative to the restaurant. Some nights are "themed" with an al la cart menu and other nights are "Tastings." On the Tastings nights, it is a fixed menu with many courses but very small portions, some items were literally one bite. On my last curise I believe there were 8 courses and 11 items. here is teh menu of that wonderful dininer:

Chef’s Cocktail: caviar in the cloud, foggy potatoes

Cowboy Roll – seared flank steak, Portobello, sesame sauce; Barbequed Salmon – Jalapeno, cucumber, melted mozzarella, wasabi mayonnaise; Duck Confit Pop – Roasted pepper relish, creamy chili dip.

Tea Smoked Game Presse, chestnut spatzle; Porcini & chestnut cappuccino, honey spiced squab & fig empanada.

Grilled beef tenderloin, forest mushrooms, truffled emulsion; floating lobster, pesto cream, red pepper fondue, lime froth.

Sweet and sour apple snow, Granny Smith confit.

Beignets with apricot jam, calvados ice cream, bitter sweet chocolate milk.

Night cap: Orange disaronno.

It doesn’t get much better than that! :D

P. S. Sorry Host Dan, I was "offline" for a bit and did not see your post until after I posted my reply.

P. S. Sorry Host Dan, I was "offline" for a bit and did not see your post until after I posted my reply.[/color][/font][/size]

No problem Paul, you were definately more detailed than I was! :D :D

Host Dan

My understanding is that the chefs have no latitude in the preparation of the Charlie Palmer dishes. They are even required to follow plating diagrams for each dish. Otherwise, the thinking goes, they wouldn't be Charlie Palmer Signature Dishes but someone else's. Based on my own visits to Charlie Palmer's restaurants and steakhouses, I don't think the Seabourn versions taste the same as the restaurant versions. Not better or worse, just not the same.

That's interesting. Perhaps their latitude is in a separate appetizer or entree, such as when the chef buys fresh seafood in a port. I can see why the dishes could be the same and yet different, depending on the different food suppliers. I have never dined in a Charlie Palmer restaurant, probably because there isn't one in Philly.

Jane

Having sailed with Seabourn many times now and being used to fine dining at home as well, I think it would be time for Charlie Palmer to add some new dishes to the by now well known to a lot of people, the Seabourn die hards! OK they have been mentioned over and over again, everybody has his favorite starter, entrée or desert, but I would like to see some completely different creations!

Not that I don´t like what is offered, but I mean there are people who have sailed with Seabourn over 3000 days.

The chefs could add some more of their own ideas as far as I´m concerned.

JaneBP & S-nail-Lunchtime menus in the Restaurant are not bound by the Charlie Palmer restrictions nor are special requests & both are opportunities to test the kitchen's skill. I agree with others that the Charlie Palmer menus are a little tired and I would like to see them refreshed. Actually, I think the "celebrity chef" concept is very "over" but Seabourn has apparently decided to stick with CP awhile longer.

...I agree with others that the Charlie Palmer menus are a little tired and I would like to see them refreshed..

I agree with that, although I do enjoy looking forward to some of the 'favorites'. I imagine that the consistency makes purchasing and preparation much easier. But of course, the dining experience is so much more than the food itself!

Do you know my luggage was so overweight after our cruise, because I brought home so many Menus......sometimes I just feel like drooling again!

Everyone has mentioned the Lobster Lobster Lobster......I also loved the Osso Bucco.....and a couple of times we asked Chef Markus for a "special meal" of Lobster Thermidor........that was wonderful. BUT....what about the more simple things....like the FRIES!!....the BREAD STICKS........and the Icecreams and Sorbets!...would not like to add up how many gallons of sorbet I ate.

Oh yes......and lamb chops for breakfast! :eek:

Granny,

I couldn't agree with you more. I enjoy the "classic" items on the menu (crisp chicken, filet in peppercorn sauce, etc.) as much as the specialty items. And the fries ... they are always perfect. I try to stay away from fries on land but while on Seabourn I have to have fries in the Verandah at least twice.

johnny

Granny,

And the fries ... they are always perfect. I try to stay away from fries on land but while on Seabourn I have to have fries in the Verandah at least twice.

johnny

Only twice Johnny? oh I get it....you only do 3 days cruises?

Oh Johnny.......... That´s the title of a typical Amsterdam (Dutch) song.

And it goes on like this: "sing a song for just me" (only me?).

The reason why I thought about the song, is you mentioning the FRIES!

Like you I try to stay away from them, but on Seabourn, where the fries are like nowhere else...... forget it. And forget about your diet. I´m still on it now, because I haven´t lost enough weight from my last cruise and I´m going again next week! But don´t mind me, I´m a terrible weight freak.

On my just completed Legend we had Chef Jochem Lambrechts "Tasting Menu" one night in the main restaurant.

But for a main course on Chef Palmers normal menu I did have on a scale of 1 to 10, a 2 :( it was Soft Potato Gnocchi in asparagus butter. IMHO the asparagus butter was not good, and there were only 5 of those small Gnocchi on my plate. I was at a hosted table that night and my table mates asked if I was on a diet :eek: and offered to share their great looking Veal Osso Bucco with me. :D

Where's the Gnocchi... :p maybe with a little red sauce....

• 2 weeks later...

Host Dan was on my cruise last year, and one night the chef did his own menu, and not anything related to Charlie Palmer... IMHO this was 10 times better than the CP menus! god i sound so spoilt! What do you think Host Dan?

When do you think they will change them? It would be nice for once to have something different to eat each time we cruise, rather than the same menu repeated each cruise (must be unlucky to have had the same menus repeated for each of the three cruises I have been on with seabourn!) Going for the Grand Voyage in December! Which is 3 cruises back to back, let's hope the menus are different!!

James

James,

On my 3 week cruise last summer, I was able to enjoy different arrays of sushi and fresh sashimi everyday at lunch (special standing order), as well as several "custom" dinners including an Indian dinner that was sublime! The chefs are so talented on Seabourn, they should be allowed to put their artistry to work every day of the week!

Host Dan

Archived