Hi Joy

I don't know what cruiseline you're taking, but the cruise director from the Star Princess put out a dvd/video about the baltic tours. It's johnlawrence.com and the dvd is great. Wonderful suggestions and discusses what you'll see at every port. edna

Thank you Edna. I like Princess very much but I will be going on Norwegian back to back and then going on the Queen Mary2. This will be the first time we will be taking 3 cruises in sequence. Our cruise director that was on the Saphire Princess is now on the Queen Mary. His name is Alistair Greener. We are looking forward to seeing him again. Happy Sailing, Joy

• 2 weeks later...
Did anyone go to the Ice Bar?

There is a click spot near the top of the page that says "Search this forum", if you type in "Ice Bar", you will find a lot of info on the Stockholm Ice Bar, both pros and cons.

Enjoy,

Al

Joy, do you know if the Blue Hall will be opened on the Sunday we'll be there, May 13?

Frances

If the city hall is open for tours on that day (and it should be) then the Blue Hall will be open. It is the biggest room in the place and that is where they assign the guides for the different groups (languages etc.).

Have fun

Al

At the Ports of Stockholm website there is a page for upcoming cruise vessels. However, I see only a listing for the upcoming week. Is there a site that shows which port each cruise ship will be docking in May? Our visit will be on May 13, 2007 on the Norwegian Dream.

Is there public transportation available at the pier? Can an all-day transportation only pass be purchased at the pier?

Thank you in advance for your help.

How about transportation? We will be on the Constellation in July - does anyone know which dock they use and the easiest way to get into the city? We will be doing it on our own so I would like to know where to begin my plan.

Click on Al Frescoe's homepage: http://www.stockholmstories.com/st_eng_main.htm

Then click on Frequent Questions. There you will find detailed information on transportation from the ports to City Center. Wonderful site!!

If you're planning on doing Stockholm on your own, look into getting the Stockholm card. This will give you access to all transportation as well as entrance into many of the museums. We used it for transportation from the ship by train, buses within the city and entrance into the Vasa, the palace and City Hall and train back to the ship.

Frances I did not know the answer to your question and by the time I came to this thread your answer had already been given. I am glad you were able to get an answer to your question. Cruise Critic is wonderful to find answers on. I appreciate everyone for responding to our questions so much. Happy Sailing, Joy

At the Ports of Stockholm website there is a page for upcoming cruise vessels. However, I see only a listing for the upcoming week. Is there a site that shows which port each cruise ship will be docking in May? Our visit will be on May 13, 2007 on the Norwegian Dream.

Is there public transportation available at the pier? Can an all-day transportation only pass be purchased at the pier?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Greetings,

For some reason certain links are broken on the English pages over there. You can find the complete list for the upcoming season for cruise traffic on the Swedish pages.

http://www.stockholmshamn.se/intranet/configuration.nsf/index_external.html?ReadForm&language=sv

Anyway, a quick look for the 13th of May finds the Dream docked at Stadsgården 160. This is one of the better spots to dock in Stockholm. A scenic 15-20 minute walk along the water to the Old Town.

One of the best sites I have found for info on all of the lines/ships is:

http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn3/

Skål

Al

Click on Al Frescoe's homepage: http://www.stockholmstories.com/st_eng_main.htm

Then click on Frequent Questions. There you will find detailed information on transportation from the ports to City Center. Wonderful site!!

There are also some "Quick Links" on the bottom right of each page. Be sure to click the "Transportation Info" link, there are new rules and prices for public transport this season.

Skål

Al

Al, after walking to Old Town, what would you suggest as to going to the Blue Hall. Should one walk over to the Blue Hall or go by public transportation. Also do you have any suggestions as to what to see at Old Town.

Thank you.

Frances

Al, after walking to Old Town, what would you suggest as to going to the Blue Hall. Should one walk over to the Blue Hall or go by public transportation. Also do you have any suggestions as to what to see at Old Town.

Thank you.

Frances

Hi Frances,

The "Blue Hall" (not really blue, by the way :)) is inside the Stockholm City Hall. Unfortunately you can't just drop in. You need to go on one of their organized tours. You can walk to the city hall from the Old Town, no problem. But as I said, you need to go by their time schedule.

Below is the link to the City Hall with tour info:

http://www2.stockholm.se/cityhall/eng_visningar.htm

The Old Town is not very big but there is a lot of history packed on to that small island. You don't even need a map in my opinion and it would be impossible to get lost (for very long). I have seen many recommend a guidebook by Rick Steves, but I have never seen it so I can't comment.

The only "must see" in Stockholm for me would be the Vasa Museum.

Whatever you do, have a great time and welcome to Stockholm.

Skål

Al

Thank you Al. I did borrow from the library the Rick Steves book awhile ago, however; I skipped Stockholm since we had booked a shore excursion with the Dream. This afternoon, I made a request to reborrow the book because of your influence.

Frances

Greetings,

For some reason certain links are broken on the English pages over there. You can find the complete list for the upcoming season for cruise traffic on the Swedish pages.

http://www.stockholmshamn.se/intranet/configuration.nsf/index_external.html?ReadForm&language=sv

Anyway, a quick look for the 13th of May finds the Dream docked at Stadsgården 160. This is one of the better spots to dock in Stockholm. A scenic 15-20 minute walk along the water to the Old Town.

One of the best sites I have found for info on all of the lines/ships is:

http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn3/

Skål

Al

Thank you so much for all your information. Where would we be without the internet?? We certainly appreciate your being available for questions.

I purchased the Stockholm pass that got me entry into the museums and a pass for the hop on/hop off bus for all day transportation. I purchased both from the TI center in the kings garden, That way It was one charge on my card, the bank handled the exchange and I only had to exchange $5 for a snack and soda.

Buy the Rick Steves' Scandinavia book. It has fantastic info on on most of the ports you will be going to.

And don't miss the changing of the guards at the palace.

Archived