I'll second the changing of the guards. We witnessed a 45 minute long ceremony which was amazing. There's a little statue somewhere around the Old Town not far from the guard changing ceremony...if you rub it's head you get good luck. We seemed to have some really good luck the few days after that too. Check out the Rick Steves book. Excellent suggestions.

• 1 month later...
Thank you Al. We were in Stockholm on May 13 on the Dream. I am so glad that we followed your advice. From Old Town, we did walk to City Hall and took the 10 a.m. tour.

Frances

Frances,

So glad everything worked out for you and hope you had a great time on your cruise.

Al

I am hoping for better luck this year! Last year I visited Stockholm, and did it on my own, and had a wonderful time - but didn't get to see inside City Hall. As I got there they had a fire evacuation! I was in the queue for a ticket, but we all got ushered out and I sat on the lawns for about 30 mins, but then gave up and went for a wander in the streets behind City Hall until I found the blue line bus route and caught the No.1 back to the ship at Frihamen.

Looking forward to seeing more of Stockholm in July.

my port notes. lots to see on this stop.

Port: Stockholm, Sweden

Schedule Date: June 6, 2006 (Tuesday)

Schedule Time: 9:00-5:00

Currency: Krona (Available onboard)

Tour: On-own

Money needed: 600 (SEK); exchange $80 worth; $1=7.6 SEK (Stockholm Card)

Docked: Frihamnen

Other ships in port: Regatta (Oceania Cruises); MSC Lirica

Public Holiday: Yes; National Day

Time Change: +6 EDT

Average temperature: 69/52

Things to see:

1) Sailing in/out of Stockholm-Almost 5 Hour sail-in- Breakfast in room

2) Vasa Museum (8:30-6:00) 80SEK/ 40 SEK Student; Bookshop worth a visit; guided tours 25 min.(English;every hour starting at 9:30/movie-25 min.

3) Royal Palace-Changing of the Guard (1215); Royal Armory{Livrustkammaren} Sweden’s Oldest museum 1633 (10-5) free admission-20 SEK audio guide; Royal Treasury {Skattkammaren} (10-4)-90 SEK/ 35 SEK Student;

4) Gustav III’s Statue (Slottsbacken facing water) 199 sculpture of murdered king in 1792.

5) Finnish Church-Slottsbacken oldest building dates from 1640’s.-stroll behind church, fist size “Iron boy” rub his head for knowledge.

6) Cathedral of Stockholm (Storkyrkan) 25 (SEK) 9-6. 700-year old cathedral. (see map of interior)/Obelisk-1799 thank merchant class for support during Russian war.

7) Riddarholmen Church-30 (SEK) 10-4. Island of knights; built by Franciscan monks/late 13th century. Gustav II marble sarcophagus. Resting place for 600 years of Sweden’s Royalty./See Stadshuset (city Hall) from island.

8) Royal Coin Cabinet (Kungliga Myntkabinettet) Free (10-4) Worlds oldest and largest coin. Museum shop (coins).

9) Riddarhuset (Swedish Parliament until 1865)/ Riksdaghuset (Swedish Parliament)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ferry

Stromma Ferry to Djurgarden-one way 8 min.-35 SEK/Round 60 SEK

Nybroplan Ferry to Djurgarden—(10-8) every 20 min.

Stockholm Card 260 SEK

Shuttle Drop-off from ship at Royal Opera House on Stromgaten. 20 min walk to Vasa.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

900: Ship Dock; 930 shuttle; 1000 at The Royal Opera House (Gustav III assassinated here) either take taxi to VASA or walk (20 min) Walk-Stromgaten (Opera house on left/water right) to Stallgatan; take; left onto Nybrokajen through Nybroplan (check ferry schedule). Right onto Stranduagen (water on right) Left onto Djurgardsbron (bridge). Straight, make right onto Galavarsvagen (Nordic museum on left), into Vasa.

10:30 Vasa (Look at movie/guide times; look and inquire about taxis)

11:30-leave Vasa. (Take taxi from VASA to Palace: Ask Vasa guides to call for taxi-about 15 min to Gamla Stan-100-200 SEK) or go to Ferry pier. 15-20 min walk to ferry pier. Vasa, past Nordic museum, right on Djurgardsvagen, ½ mile to right on Allm. Grand. To pier. 11:40 Ferry to Nybroplan. 11:50 Pier.

(Times for taxi; if ferry add 15 min.)

1200-(Pass statue of Gustav III) Royal Armory. 12:30-leave to see changing of guard (or Royal Treasury). 1:00-Royal Coin Cabinet (next to Tessin Palace-1690’s) 1:30-Finnish Church (Orange building) walk into courtyard-iron boy statue./Obelisk. 1:45-walk down Slottsbacken (palace on left), make right onto Osterlanggatan. Nordiska Kristall on left. Walk down street to St. George statue. Make right onto Kopmangatan;through Stortget (1520’s massacre). Right is Stock excahange (Borsen). Fine old facades. Turn right/follow Trangsund to Cathedral. 2:15 Cathedral inside (tour using handout).

2:45- leave Cathedral on right; north on Trangsund; left on Storkyrkobrinken (RiksdagenForvaltn.hus on right) Left

on Myntgatan (through Riddarhustorget) over Riddarholmsbron bridge. Continue straight. Riddarholmskyrkan on left.

On Wrangelskabacken. 3:00 Riddarholmkyrkan. 3:15 leave. Wrangelskabacken to see if can view Stadshuset.

3:10-head to shuttle. Wrangelsbacken to Riddarholmsbron through Riddarhusterget (Riddarhuset on left) to Myntgatan into Myntorget (square) left over Stallbron onto Riksgatan (through Riksdagshuset-Parliament); over Riksbron; right onto Stromgatan to Opera House/Shuttle.

Does it pay to get a Stockholm Card if we are only going to be there for 24 hours?

It depends on what you want to do. Check the Stockholm Card website, and calculate the individual entrance fees and transportation fees to make your decision.

This is the website: www.stockholmtown.com

Since you have 24 hours (instead of 8 or 9 hours of port time), it is most likely that you will benefit from the Stockholm Card.

Just got back on May 29th from NCL Dream and I must say our favorite port was Stockholm. I thought we planned it well and I got all my advice from Cruise Critic and previous cruisers.

The Old Town is definitely neat but don't focus too much time there as it is a lot of shops and filled with fellow cruisers. Also the old town is much like other Baltic cities.

We got off the ship and directly went to the Slussen Ferry (used credit card in machine to pay for round trip ticket).

Took the Ferry to the Djursgarden (sp?). There we walked to the Vasa Museum and their when it opened at 10 AM. From there we walked over to Skansen, the open air museum. Many people don't talk about it on this site but it was very enjoyable. Not crowded at all, many animals and demonstration. It is not just a place for kids. We had a large peacock walk right up to us and spread it's feathers so we had some great pictures.

Around 2 pm then we headed back on the Ferry, walked around Old Town to pick up some Souvenirs and great pictures. Everything was very walkable (well everything except the Ferry). Also we did not exchange money for Kroners as we used the credit card for everything. We did not think the Stockholm Card was beneficial for this trip.

We thought it was a well planned out day with combination of History, Relaxation, and Shopping. Hope your day is just as nice!

How far port Stadsgården (160) from the old town? Is it possible to walk or we need to take cruise shuttle or public transportation? Based on map,

it's look like it's further than the other ports.

Thanks,

Mike

From there we walked over to Skansen, the open air museum. Many people don't talk about it on this site but it was very enjoyable. Not crowded at all, many animals and demonstration. It is not just a place for kids. We had a large peacock walk right up to us and spread it's feathers so we had some great pictures.

How long did you stay at Skansen. I thought it looked enjoyable but wondered if our stay in Stockholm 9.00 - 17:00 was too short to be able to get to Vasa, Gamla Stan / Changing of the Guard (I am sure my trendy teenagers will not approve of seeing that but let them moan) and hopefully a museum dedicated to the Nobel prize (youngest child reckons with the right sort of inspiration she could be up for one, I for one do not want to be accused of failing as an Alpha mum). I think Skansen is just for another day - another trip.

We were at Skansen for about 2 hours probably and wish we could have spent more time. Actually Gamla Stan was neat but you don't need to spend much more than one or two hours there. It is really just neat buildings with shopping and most of the stores sell the same things. We ended up rushing back to spend more time at Gamla Stan and found ourselves going back to the ship early because we had enough shopping.

We did miss changing of the guard but we still were able to see the guards pacing back and forth. Also we saw changing of the guard in Helsinki. They also have changing of the guard ceremonies in Denmark and England. It's up to you but we had plenty of time and a great experience. I think the Nobel Museum would have been pretty cool. Also I would have liked to see what was in the Nordic Museum which is right next door to the Vasa. It looked like they were having a special exhibit on "Pez Dispensors" when we were there so we decided to do Skansen instead.

We were at Skansen for about 2 hours probably and wish we could have spent more time. Actually Gamla Stan was neat but you don't need to spend much more than one or two hours there. It is really just neat buildings with shopping and most of the stores sell the same things. We ended up rushing back to spend more time at Gamla Stan and found ourselves going back to the ship early because we had enough shopping. .

Thank you for reporting on your Stockholm visit. We are planning for our Baltic Cruise in July and we are researching all of the ports we will be visiting. I have ordered the Stockholm cards and plan on seeing the Vasa, Skansen and then over to Gamla Stan for maybe a walking tour and see the Royal Armory museum and the City Hall. We are there from 8 to 6 and docked close to town. Do you feel all of this is doable? We hope to see the Changing of the Guard but don't think we could squeeze all of this in. Your suggestions are welcome.

Archived