Rome Hotels

Could someone please recommend a nice hotel in Rome? We will be there in June for several nights. We would like to be within walking distance of good food and some of the don't-miss tourist spots. We are American and we would definitely need a concierge and the ablility to communicate in English with someone on the staff. For this reason, we are not good candidates for a bed and breakfast, or any place too small or quaint. Thanks for any suggestions.

Susan

I normally stay at the Intercontinental Hotel. It is a starwood hotel so if you collect hotel points u may be able to stay using your points. It is located right at the top of the spanish steps, and trevi fountain. Its about a fifteen minute walk to the colisium, and the ruins. On the same steet as the hotel, there are about two or three resturaunts, which I have eaten at two of them. Also at the bottom of the Spanish Steps, u will find a lot of resturaunts in the alleys. The only landmark that is not walking distance is the Vatican. The hotel has brochures for a tour to the Vatican and Sistine chapel. The bus will pick u up at hotel. Hope this helps.

I have two recommendations. We stayed at the Rose Garden Palace pre-cruise and the Nicholas Inn post cruise. Very different, but both were great and everyone spoke English. RGP is a very well appointed modern hotel across the street from US Embassy, near Via Veneto. The Nicholas Inn is a small bed and breakfast very near the Coloseum. NI is run by Melissa (born in Chicago, but alas, a NY Yankees fan) and her husband Francios. Both speak excellent English. Melissa is incredible, she could be a tour guide. info@nicolasinn.com. RGP has a web page, I think it's http://www.rosegardenpalace.com , but I'm not sure. You might check Tripadvisor.com as both of these are listed with many positive reviews. Good Luck! We loved Rome.

Elsie:cool:

Susan, check out www.tripadvisor.com They list just about every hotel there is in Rome (and most other cities) and best of all, they give reviews from people who have stayed at the hotels. You can find prices for each hotel and they link to most of the travel/hotel booking sites to get availability and price.

Just a note, we stayed at the Hotel Gladiatori last November which is right across the street from the Colisseum. Great concierge service, friendly staff, safe area, lots to eat within two blocks. AWESOME view of the Colisseum from the rooftop restaurant. It is built on the site of the ancient dorms where the gladiators were housed. We paid about $200/night and it was very worth the price but I wouldn't pay much more than that. Last time I checked, they were asking about $400/night which I'd say is WAY over priced.

GOOD LUCK!

To tkerwin,

We have booked the InterContinental in Rome for October using our American Express points. When was the last time you stayed there? We love the location. We were in Rome a long time ago and saw most of the sights. This time, I want to visit the Borghese Gardens and Museum which I understand is walking distance.

Sheila

I stayed at a B&B/hotel called Hotel Daphne in a great location on Via Veneto (5 minute walk to spanish steps--great location). It is actually perfect for an american tourist that needs assistance--the inn is run by 2-english speaking owners, Alyssa and Allesandro, who are from Florida and Rome respectively. I had amazing service there; Alyssa went through a map of Rome with me when I arrived, suggesting sights and restaurants to visit. She also made reservations for me at Villa Borghese.

(Downsides: No TV in room; small elevator in one of their 2 buildings, and no elevator in the other), so dragging a lot of heavy luggage to the room might be difficult.

Thank you everyone, for your wonderful suggestions. We had heard from several people that the Daphne is a great place. But, alas, no availability! We did end up reserving a room at the Intercontinental, which seems to be in a very good location. I'm sure we'll love it. Thanks again for the tips.

Susan

Dear Lorraine,

Which cruise are you on in October -- we're on the Serenity. Email me at scorpiosheila at yahoo dot com and put Rome Hotel in the subject line. I will give you the whole scope on booking with points at the Inter-Continental.

Sheila

We stayed one night at the Westin Excelsior on Via Veneto. We got the hotel on SPG award points. The hotel is amazing. The room and bathrooms are huge the staff was friendly and it is close to the main shopping areas and restaurants. If you have any SPG points I would highly rec. staying here.

Archived