Starbucks in San Juan?

ElizabethxoNoel

The one on Tetuan is very convenient to the pier and always full of cruisers. Last Wednesday I was getting coffee there and a guy, who evidently was on one of the ships in port, was buying two ginormous coffees. I wanted to ask him "It's that bad on the ship, huh?" :D

The new one on Plaza de Armas is across the street from Marshall's and quite handy when making your way back down from El Morro.

If you want to try PR coffee, though, there's a small place called Café Colao at the ferry pier (where you would take the ferry to Cataño/Bacardi) that has a fine variety of estate coffees.

Or head to La Bombonera (a 102 yr old diner/bakery) in old San Juan and have a cup of THEIR coffee.

By THEIR coffe I mean they grow it (in Puerto Rico), roast it and brew it in a big contraption that looks like a machine out of Jules Verne novel.... silver and huge and spigots and well...... you'll see.

definately something a coffee lover should NOT miss.

While you are there have a fresh baked pastry or a mallorca (mmmm)

You will not be sorry :D

Puerto Rico once supplied all the coffee to the Vatican. Unfortunately, PR has now also seen these abberations (and its clones) pop up all over the place. Well, if people are stupid enough to pay $5 for a cup of coffee that the day before cost them $1, well, a fool and his money...

Anyway, instead of drinking the same stuff you have everyday, you may want to consider trying the local brew. Sort of the same idea like drinking local beers while away on vacation instead of Coors, Budweiser, etc... :confused:

Personally I'm not much of a coffee drinker but have lived in several countries where coffee is king (Brazil, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Colombia among others) so I take good coffee simply for granted. It seems to me that coffee here is roasted more thus more bitter than I care for. Then again, even having lived everywhere I have, tea is more "my cup of tea" anyway! :D

Come to think of it, if going to Starbucks is part of my everyday (working) life then I would make it a major point to avoid them when on vacation. :D

Anyway, drink local.

Starbucks??? You will be in Puerto Rico and they make fabulous coffee there. Not the watered down version you usually find in the US. Go to the Bombonera on Calle San Francisco order a mayorca and have some real coffee with it. :) You will not regret it.

I grew up in Puerto Rico and would go there frequently with my mom. Last summer, when I went there on a cruise, the first thing I wanted to do was go there again and have some mayorcas with coffee. We brought another couple with us whom we had met on the cruise and they loved it! Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Starbucks, but there is nothing like real Puerto Rican coffee. :)

OMG..the coffee in Puerto Rico is the best. I am a Starbucks person myself, and I LOVE my coffee, but the coffee I had when I stayed in San Juan before my cruise was delicious. We stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel, and I really enjoyed the local coffee they served there. They had packets in the room so you could make your own as well. I actually took one with me to see if I could buy it online once I got home. Had no luck finding it. Try the local coffee in San Juan, you wont regret it.

Very impressive thread....

I see a bunch of you have already expounded on the opportunity to try new things in new places...

I buy coffee for my family by the pound every time they visit me in PR. It is a heavy french roast and strong. I can't drink that dirty American water anymore since I got hooked on PR coffee!;)

Local coffee and Mallorcas are a great idea for breakfast. You can hit Starbuck's and that premixed muffin any other day.

Just thought I'd pile on!:rolleyes:

Archived