What age is a minor?

tazdeb

My sister and BIL are taking their 18 year old daughter and her college roommate, also 18 on the ROS. Will they need a noterized letter of consent for the roommate? The RCL website says "minors" need one but doesn't say what age they consider minors. I thought 18 years of age was considered adult (except for drinking). Is this true? Thanks for any help you can give....TAZ

I have always considered, for cruise purposes, under 21 as a minor (Mainly because you can not book your own cabin if under 21 unless someone is older with you). We are going on Liberty in May and my 20 yr old DD is bringing her 19 yr old roommate. I am planning on getting a notorized letter if for nothing else for the medical waiver.

Gregg

It varies by state, country, and purpose, although under 18 is most common. The question is not really relevant to cruising on a ship, though. It's their ship, they get to make the rules (as long as they're not illegal). If they say anyone under 21 has to have a parent sign, they can - just like a car rental place can make different rules for people under 25.

Archived