Shipmate Sharon Campbell

scrustyrock

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas regarding tours in Hilo. I heard its hard to get a rental car there and since where only staying there for one day I don't want to waiste any time.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I would rather not go on cruise tours since I've found they are way over priced.

The cruise tours are more expensive but in a way they are nice because you have a tour guide telling you lots of information that you otherwise would not know. We just got off the Wind and some of our friends rented a car in Hilo. They didn't have reservations, just got off the boat and got a shuttle and rented a car. They did say there wasn't a very big selection of cars, but they were able to get one to tour on their own.

The tour company that NCL used for seeing the volcano was Roberts Hawaiian. I don't know if you could contact them directly and make reservations to get on these bus tours or not. I did see someone from our ship go up and hand the bus driver some type of paper (not like the tour tickets we obtained from the excursion desk). I was wondering if they made their reservations on their own. It might be worth checking out though.

Archived