Best Airport for Spirit in NYC?

Hello All:

We are finally taking our first cruise in September -- to Canada and New England on the NCL Spirit out of New York -- and am very excited.

However, I'm a little mystified about where exactly the ship docks in New York. The NCL customer service rep was nice, but just said "Manhattan". She also said that the Newark airport was closest. This seems to contradict other postings I've seen.

Can anyone give me a better idea on location of the dock, which airport would be closest / cheapest by cab, and a decent mid-price hotel near the ship for the night before? We will be arriving and departing on Saturdays, so rush hour won't be an issue.

Thanks for your help!!

Hello All:

We are finally taking our first cruise in September -- to Canada and New England on the NCL Spirit out of New York -- and am very excited.

However, I'm a little mystified about where exactly the ship docks in New York. The NCL customer service rep was nice, but just said "Manhattan". She also said that the Newark airport was closest. This seems to contradict other postings I've seen.

Can anyone give me a better idea on location of the dock, which airport would be closest / cheapest by cab, and a decent mid-price hotel near the ship for the night before? We will be arriving and departing on Saturdays, so rush hour won't be an issue.

Thanks for your help!!

Depending on whether you are coming coast coast LGA is probably the closest but not by much. The cab from EWR to the cruise terminal is $45.00 plus roound trip tolls of about $10.00 and a tip. Going back its The meter plus $15.00 plus round trip tolls and a tip a little more than coming. JFK is a fixed $45.00 dollars either way plus tolls and tips(this is new in November 2006). LGA is about $35.00 either way. Maybe more depending on traffic as its is meter plus tolls and tip(the most direct way has no toll). You can get a car service/black car for about the same amounts fixed rate with a toll a tip as well. Coast to Coast non-stops rarely go to LGA....remember almost every CSR you speak to has never been on a ship rarely in NY and hasn't a clue.

The dock is located at 54th street and 12th avenue in Manhattan

PS welcome to cruise critic!

The closest hotels(there are two) is a comfort Inn or Ho jo on 10 th avenue and about 48 th street and a Double Tree(that use to be a holiday Inn) on 57th street and 10th avenue. I ahven't stayed in either of these.

Again the entrance to the cruise terminal is at 54/5 street and 12th avenue and the cruise terminal has three finger piers at 48, 50 and 52 street. The one at 48th street is closed for repairs. They will have signs up saying where your ship is if there is more than one the day you leave.

www.nyc.com has listings of hotel deals(its the official site of the NY convention and visitors bureau now called something else)

La Guardia may be slightly closer to the port but traffic in and out of there is horrible. :eek: It will take you less time to get to the port from Newark.

The traffic from any of the airports can be bad, with the Lincoln tunnel sometimes taking an hour wither way to get through. Without traffic all the airports are about 35 minutes from and to the cruise terminal. I personally sugest finding the best airfare and then having a car service(not a cab) meet you in both directions. The difference in prices between a cab and a car service is small and the convenience is much better.

La Guardia may be slightly closer to the port but traffic in and out of there is horrible. :eek: It will take you less time to get to the port from Newark.

I agree......definitely will take them less time from Newark even in traffic cause the Lincoln Tunnel will bring them right into the West Side. From LGA they will be on the East Side and have to go crosstown. :eek::eek:

Being a native NYer, whenever someone asks me how far something is I never give them in mileage, I always say in the amount of time cause as we all know, going a mile in Manhattan during rush hour could take at least a half hour to an hour.

Archived