Amalfi Coast questions

I am sure this has been gone over a million times but a search doesn't bring up all the questions I have. My wife and I are looking into doing the Amalfi Coast. I am leaning towards hiring a guide but in case we don't I wa wanting some advice. What is the best (and quickest) way of getting to Sorrento and Amalfi? What do we do to get to these two towns from Naples. Is it best to use the ferries and how do we do that from the cruise port? What kind of time are we needing to do this. Is this an all day excursion (and I know it depends on how long we want to make it) but we were wondering if that would keep us from seeing much in Naples. Those of you that have done this tour do you have any regrets on the time it took and did you feel you missed anything in Naples? Thanks for all your help.

You can take the boat or hydrofoil across to Sorrento and there are buses but you will need to be really aware of the timetables to avoid getting stuck.Amalfi and Positano are further down the coast and a private driver is really the way to go to make the most of your time ashore.You could combine a visit to the ruins of Pompeii with a tour of the Amalfi Coast which makes for a great all day tour.We have used Salvatore Lucibello of DriveAmalfi (*****) twice and highly recommend him.The main attraction in Naples is the Archaeological Museum which contains many artefacts from Pompei.I personally prefer the towns of Positano,Amalfi and Ravello to Sorrento but the ladies always enjoy Sorrento for shopping.

Mike

I agree with Mike about preferring Postitano, Amalfi and Ravello being the better places to visit, not that there is anything wrong with Sorrento. It is just that the others are quite special. We used Marcello (Link ) and had such a wonderful time, we are going with him again in May. This is one of those ports that it really helps to have a private guide so that you can see as much of this beautiful place as you can. Additionally, the large tour buses just can't get to some of the areas due to the narrow curvy roads.

Are you doing a different itinerary with Marcello? If so, what have you added. We did a wonderful tour with him in 2005 and will be going back in 2008. We had a full day with him including Pompeii and would have no idea what to add.

Joan

Archived