April 1st - How Best To Respond????

ccrain

We will be on the Golden 4/22 so I shall see how the system works! As an elderly elite I do know how to use the internet - right Charles? The internet keeps this old lady from getting in trouble. We have a 15 day cruise later this year. This means less time per day. I intend to let them know I am not happy with the new system.

You do realize you are fighting a battle you can't win with this I hope?
Well, I don't think I'm going to change anyone's mind, if that's what you mean. There's really not a battle to be fought - as you've pointed out, Princess has made the decision and those who would buy a Princess cruise need to determine if this is a factor in where they spend their cruise dollars.

I guess I just find the thought of a boycott of the cruise line because they decided to charge for something that people took for granted when it was free wild enough to have to respond. I've been told - especially around the MUTS controversy - that I shouldn't comment without experiencing and yet most people who are commenting on this internet issue haven't experienced it yet. And I would bet dollars to donuts that most who are complaining will find they don't use the limited free time they've been given.

So does that mean they're just complaining for the heck of it? :rolleyes:

Well, I don't think I'm going to change anyone's mind, if that's what you mean. There's really not a battle to be fought - as you've pointed out, Princess has made the decision and those who would buy a Princess cruise need to determine if this is a factor in where they spend their cruise dollars.

I guess I just find the thought of a boycott of the cruise line because they decided to charge for something that people took for granted when it was free wild enough to have to respond. I've been told - especially around the MUTS controversy - that I shouldn't comment without experiencing and yet most people who are commenting on this internet issue haven't experienced it yet. And I would bet dollars to donuts that most who are complaining will find they don't use the limited free time they've been given.

So does that mean they're just complaining for the heck of it? :rolleyes:

Well, since it doesn't take effect until April 1. I think all this complaining beforehand is just that! For the heck of it.

And I also agree about the boycott. Princess has the best deal for internet as far as free minutes given to platinum and elite passengers. Other lines don't give diddly. I just look at it this way. If those who are so mad they aren't going to cruise Princess again because of this change, more available cabins for us to book.

Don't get me wrong, I understand some passengers frustration with this, but the whinning that has gone on is unbelievable! Like they are going to change something they have no control over? Nope, not going to happen. But the same big whinners are going to switch cruise lines where they will be paying for any internet use onboard. Now, that makes a LOT of sense doesn't it?

We will be on the Golden 4/22 so I shall see how the system works! As an elderly elite I do know how to use the internet - right Charles? The internet keeps this old lady from getting in trouble. We have a 15 day cruise later this year. This means less time per day. I intend to let them know I am not happy with the new system.

How's Jack doing? Tell him we said Hi!

You do pretty well on the internet for sure. With all the cruises, and long ones at that, you will feel it more than most.

Any chances we're on the same cruises in the future?

...of others. The thing that really bothers me most about these types of threads is the judgemental attitude I see. I'm referring specifically to comments along the lines of, "...if you can't detach and have to use the internet then why are you going on a cruise in the first place? Why don't you just relax?" type of postings. There as many reasons to use the internet on board as there are to NOT use it. I would never presume to tell someone else how to enjoy their vacation! Just as you can participate in lots of activities on board or none, so can you use the internet or not.

That being said, my primary gripe with Princess is that they are taking AWAY a perk that has already be promised and given. I think it would be much fairer to continue to HONOR their agreement with past passengers and institute the restriction on newer Platinum members. Kind of a "grandfather" clause, if you will. I suppose they would look at that as a bookkeeping nightmare, but with computers databases it really wouldn't be that horrible.

Incidentally, I too wrote to the company with my concerns (since the buyout by Carnival there have be many, many changes -- and not favorable ones). Unsurprisingly, I received a boiler plate response; they are not really concerned about what how we feel about the internet change. It is a corporate decision about the bottom line. Satellite time is very expensive and it's a way of dealing with the costs.

On my cruise of the Mediterranean last summer on the Sea Princess (hi, Pam!!), I used the internet quite a bit. I wrote a travelogue to my daughter and friends back home. It was easier to write it on a daily basis to capture the freshness of the experience. When I return home, I collate all my emails into a printed travelogue. I could bring a laptop to do this or write it by hand, but a laptop is heavy and I type MUCH faster than I write, so the internet is the perfect vehicle for this. I also used the internet to keep up both with news at home and the situation in Lebanon, which, as you may remember was quite dire. So, while I didn't abuse my privileges, I certainly did use them and I chose Princess because I knew I HAD those privileges. I just returned from a Mexican Riviera (11 day) cruise and never found the Internet Cafe to be completely full or a waiting line.

So, sadly, there is probably nothing we can do about the situation. I really am of the opinion that it's just another example of corporate greed. The financial bottom line is, ultimately, more important than the client's experience. Just look around you next time you cruise. How many more cabins does your steward service than he used to? What cutbacks (both large and small) can you see? If you've been cruising any length of time, you'll note many. Chalk it up to corporate culture...

I posted this on another thread...please pardon me if you've already read it!

Just my two cents.:o

Marsha

...So, sadly, there is probably nothing we can do about the situation. I really am of the opinion that it's just another example of corporate greed. The financial bottom line is, ultimately, more important than the client's experience. Just look around you next time you cruise. How many more cabins does your steward service than he used to? What cutbacks (both large and small) can you see? If you've been cruising any length of time, you'll note many. Chalk it up to corporate culture...

Marsha,

With the new Subcontractor in the internet cafe, this perk would cost Princess cash. Unlike priority boarding, priority tender tickets and even on board laundry a perk that requires Princess to put out cash to another entity rather than just accept a reduced income raises a red flag. I think any perk that costs cash flow to the company is being looked at carefully.

From reading posts and reviews, it looks like a lot of the lines are cutting back. That's the pressure of the marketplace to reduce the pp cabin cost to be competitive. Yes, there has been cut backs and increases in fees and costs for previously "free" items, but you gotta admit the cost of cruising on pp cabin basis is much, much lower that it was pre-9/11.

Archived