Zipline in Ocho Rios

Lowie

hubby and i are doing the canopy tour (zip line). we have booked through carnival. we are in montego bay. i believe however, ocho rios and mobay have the same tour. the original canopy tour is the name i believe. but it must be booked through the cruise line. this is at least what i have learned on here. dh and i cruise next week. can give you more info when we return if you like.

My husband and I are signed up to do the original canopy tour through RCI, we will be cruising on the Mariner in May. I am soo excited about this excursion. My husband and I love adventure based stuff not really ones to lounge on a beach all day or shop. We are very excited I would love to hear from anyone that has done this tour.

If you could please let me know how rough the terrain is and how long the walk to the zipline is I would really appreciate it..... my hubby is disabled and would love to do it but with out the details I'm not sure I would chance it with him...

Or if you could get me a phone number or an e-mail address that I could ask them a few questions through would be wonderful.....

TIA

i will see what i can do. i did read somewhere online ...i believe i did a goodle search for "the original canopy tour" i found lots of info there. there is a pretty good brisk walk downhill...not steep, of about 10 minutes. also, i know that you must be able to climb either steps or a ladder. but i'll give a full report. i will see if they are able to assist too.

• 2 weeks later...

well, as promised here it goes...

first....we did the zip line (the original canopy tour) from the conquest in montego bay jamaica. chukka park. i'm not sure if this is the same that is used for ocho rios. you may want to check it out. J.R. was our bus driver. let me tell you, the bus ride in itself was an excursion!! jamaica is beautiful! but you will pass through some really poor parts of town. the jungle is breathtaking! this is also the same place that the river tubing is launched from. so you can see the beautiful jungle, and not have the hiking and stair climbing involved. (although you have to walk down to the water)

this is not an easy excursion if you are a couch potato. it involves hiking, stairs (lots of them) and standing for periods of time. you are in a rain forest, so expect rain...then turns to mud. we were covered in mud :) but we loved it. there were a total of 7 zip lines we crossed. only one was very very short. they will take pictures. i suggest you purchase them. they will put them on a cd for you. 6 pics for about $20 usd. their pics were better than the ones we took. i felt completely safe at all times. these guides were very careful and very fun! you are hooked to 2 lines, with two seperate pullies. at no time did i feel unsafe! (well, maybe the bus ride up the mountain and through town) but i think that is everyday driving in jamaica. there is time to rest in between platforms, so if you can climb a couple of flight of stairs you can do this. just remember you will be in a harness, with added weight, gloves helmet, etc.

the zips were easy to do, just listen to what they tell you. enjoy your view, and you will have a memory to last a lifetime! would i do this again?

WHERE DO I SIGN UP! this was dh's hightlight of the cruise. i scuba dived in GC...that was my highlight. i highly reccomend this!!!

hope this helps. feel free to post any questions

My son (16) did a canopy tour through Shoretrips.com since our ships tour was sold out. (Princess March 13) It was fantastic, It also included an ATV adventure. It was well run and the highlight of his week. The cost was slightly less than canopy only through the druise. He was met at the dock in Ocho Rios and delivered back there. Highly recommended!

My son (16) did a canopy tour through Shoretrips.com since our ships tour was sold out. (Princess March 13) It was fantastic, It also included an ATV adventure. It was well run and the highlight of his week. The cost was slightly less than canopy only through the druise. He was met at the dock in Ocho Rios and delivered back there. Highly recommended!

I was researching this one... my husband is disabled. Can you tell me how long the walk was to the platform and how the terrain was?

Dw & I did this Canopy Tour on Valentines Day 2007 while on the Conquest. It is AWESOME.... a MUST do ! ! ! :D

There is some walking up steps they have in the hill with a rope for a hand rail.... as I remember.

I am sailing again in May with the kids (all Teens) on the Rhapsody of the Seas and we are doing the Canopy Tour again with them. I plan to take my Mother on a Cruise next year (April 2008) and she is 70 yrs old as of yesterday. We are going to do the Canopy Tour with her as well.

I personally didn't this it was that scary......do mis-understand..... It was EXTREAMELY Thrilling :D

If your DH can walk and has good motor skills as in being able to walk outside on his own at home and do basic activities at home..... you should be able to do this. It is a excurision that is AWESOME.

check out they video clip from Youtube. They are of the Canopy Tour in Jamaica. :)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=canopy+adventure

Hard to get a coherant answer from a teenager. BUT my son says there was no walking with his shoretrips zipline/canopy/ATV adventure. However, he said he thought it would not work if one were disabled because you have to climb up the pole to the platform. He also said you have to climb into the ATV on that portion of the excursion. We would need to know more about the disability to be sure. I can say that Shoretrips were GREAT and called me a couple of times to confirm details before we left for the cruise. They are a US based company and so I would just call them directly.

If you could please let me know how rough the terrain is and how long the walk to the zipline is I would really appreciate it..... my hubby is disabled and would love to do it but with out the details I'm not sure I would chance it with him...

Or if you could get me a phone number or an e-mail address that I could ask them a few questions through would be wonderful.....

TIA

TIA,

I did this tour 2 days ago and your husband will never make it.A person who is not fit will also have difficulty. The hiking was terrible and dangerous.We had 1 person fall and hurt their pride more than anything else.Keep in mind that you and 2 dozen others will stand on the same platform in the middle of the forest as you wait for a vertical drop zip.

It was fun!!

Steve

Yes, Zip-lining or Canopy Tour (never did understand why they called it this..lol..) as it's called is work but well worth it.

Depends on how disabled your husband is also. I have had one back surgery and need another...I did 15 lines in Puerto Vallarta this past September....I didnt hurt but I did SWEAT ALOT! lol..alot of climbing and waiting but also felt very very safe and secure and our guides made this even MORE FUN!

Hubby has never done it so this will be his FIRST time in Jamaica. WE have already booked our excursions for our April 28th cruise on the Triumph!

My advise for anyone that wants to book it...do so NOW as they tend to book up quite fast!

HAVE FUN EVERYONE!! :D

Wow! I just looked at the zip line adventure in Jamaica...HELMET and GLOVES!! WOW!

IN Puerto Vallarta we had NEITHER!! I guess it's probably a good thing...just wonder about wearing items that a zillion other people have worn...ick! lol...

Hi JBags!!!! I dont know if you remember me but we did the zip line in PV together...man I still look back at that and smile, sooo much fun.

Anyway, I won a trip to Jamaica so I am looking at doing the zip lines here....the scenery looks gorgeous, although I have the same feeling about the helmets - I was glad the zip line in PV did not make us wear helmets! Maybe I'll just go shopping instead lol...

Hi Wave cruiser!! <waving frantically> lol..

OF COURSE I REMEMBER YOU!! That was so much fun huh?

You WON a cruise to Jamaica? WOW! How did you do that?? LUCKY ONE!!

Hubby will be with me this time and so we are doing the zip lines again...you should just GO FOR IT AGAIN!!

Helmet or not helmet...I'm going to wear a ball cap under it I think...just so I dont think about all the people that have worn it! LOL...

When do you think you MIGHT GO? There's probably room on our ship!! The Triumph! We ship out...April 28th..YAHOOO!

If I dont hear from you or see you...HAVE FUN!!! again.:D

*waves back!* Yeah, I won the Jamaica trip through one of the radio stations here....and I usually never win anything lol. I already sent in my top 3 choice of dates - with June being my first choice. I really hope I go then so I can have a nice tan for the rest of summer lol. And I get my choice of hotels, so my first choice is Dunns River Villagio in Ocho Rios.

I really am thinking about doing the zip lines again....since I know I am not afraid anymore LoL!!

I wish I can go on the Triumph with you all! But you have fun for me and drink a whole lot of daiquiris. By the way, I still watch our zip line video ALL the time...I love it!

Just back from the Rhapsody and did the Canopy tour in Jamaica through RCI. We are a family of three, DH 62, DS 16 and me DH 49. We had a blast. I was hesitant at first but would do it again in a heart beat. Never felt scared and the guides were careful. There is definitely a lot of walking, waiting, ziping and more walking.

Bought the cd for $40. Included 12 still pictures of us and videos of the zip lines taken by one of the guides. No videos of us. Also included were some still pictures of Jamaica.

it is called the canopy tour because the trees in the jungle are the canopy. it seems like we are talking about several different zip lines here. the zip line i booked was only booked through the cruise lines. chukka caribbean adventures. this was a very active excursion. i would post some pics but i have no clue how to do it on here....yet...but i'll figure it out. we were in the jungle and it was beautiful!

411537592_ZipLine001.jpg.d7904a529921f760bf33b9bc250bed96.jpg

Archived