Zipline in Ocho Rios

Lowie

For those who did the zip through Carnival in Ocho Rios, how many lines did it involve? The one I was looking at through www.jamaicacruiseexcursions.com only has 2 lines and I would like to do more than that.

8 lines, 1 vertical line. It was a decent tour for the most part.If you are not in decent shape.DO NOT take this trip.The zips are no problem,its the difficult hike getting into the canopy and getting out.

Steve

Are there alot of rocks on route when hiking to the canopy? Want to see if watershoes would be okay...don't want to have to lug too many pairs of shoes and at least watershoes are easier to clean.

Yes there are rocks.Water shoes are a bad idea. Hiking boots in hindsite would be my preference. There were hundreds of stairs which were roughly made using soil,4x4s, and pipes.Very slippery and wet.There is also mud areas along the trail.You walk quite awhile to the first zip and quite abit after never mind some walking in between.Watch out for your ankles!! Don't twist one.Once you hit the first zip,there is no walking out or turning back.

Steve

Dh and i both wore tennis shoes. it did get muddy, but for the most part, it was good. in my previous posts, there are pics of my group, and you can kind of get a glimpse of what people wore. some tanks, shorts, pants, water shoes, tennis etc. something comfy, that you can climb stairs(which are really more like stairs made from rocks etc...like a natural staircase ya know) make sense?

• 4 weeks later...

Do yall think my 7yr old son would enjoy this or is that too young. I see on the canpoy web site in Ocho Rios they will take 6 yr old. He like heights but I am afraid he will get up there and not want to do it.

Maybe better to do the rafting but really want to do zip line. I guess I can always go by myself and have my husband take him and our daughter rafting.

• 2 weeks later...

My DM (44) and I (18) will be cruising to OR in January 2008. Both of us are in good shape, but due to a knee injury this past Christmas my DM has a few aches and pains - very infrequently tho. Should we pass on the canopy tour or will it be worth our while to go ahead and book it? I really want to go and would hate to miss this experience without her especially since this whole trip is a gift from her to me. :confused:

Do yall think my 7yr old son would enjoy this or is that too young. I see on the canpoy web site in Ocho Rios they will take 6 yr old. He like heights but I am afraid he will get up there and not want to do it.

Maybe better to do the rafting but really want to do zip line. I guess I can always go by myself and have my husband take him and our daughter rafting.

According to the original canopy tour website www.canopytour.com, minimum age is 10 and the cruise ships won't allow anyone under the age of 12 to do the excursion. Not sure if this is the same tour company you will use.

My DM (44) and I (18) will be cruising to OR in January 2008. Both of us are in good shape' date=' but due to a knee injury this past Christmas my DM has a few aches and pains - very infrequently tho. Should we pass on the canopy tour or will it be worth our while to go ahead and book it? I really want to go and would hate to miss this experience without her especially since this whole trip is a gift from her to me. :confused:[/quote']

On our tour, there was a gentleman that was older and he started having trouble keeping up on the hiking portion. When we got to an especially treacherous part of our hike, the guides had him go on the zip line first so that he could get a head start. He was able to take his time without trying to keep up with everyone else. Maybe if you tell the guides about your DM's knee injury, they will do the same. Not sure which tour you are doing but the Montego Bay tour had a section where the "steps" were as Steveaaaa described, made of dirt, 4x4 and pipe. And it was pretty uphill at that point. If DM thinks she can do that section, she'll be fine. Have a wonderful time (you will!) if you decide to try this. :)

• 2 weeks later...
My son (16) did a canopy tour through Shoretrips.com since our ships tour was sold out. (Princess March 13) It was fantastic, It also included an ATV adventure. It was well run and the highlight of his week. The cost was slightly less than canopy only through the druise. He was met at the dock in Ocho Rios and delivered back there. Highly recommended!

We (a party of five including my DS- 10 yrs old) did this private excursion last week off of the RCI-FOS. Our bus driver gave us a short history of the island as we drove up the tiny roads to the top of the mountain. They gave us punch when we arrived and reviewed what we would be doing. Claudia led the show and was very helpful. There were only two zip lines but they let you do them multiple times. For the long zip, 500 yds, you can either climb stairs up the platform or climb the pole. For the second zip- 30 yds- you have to climb the pole. Helmets and carefully fitted harnesses for both. There were 5 people with the crew (ShoreTrips/ H'Evan Scent). Although the zips were A LOT of fun, more would have been nice. After the zips, restrooms on site, and a short wait (in an open-air facility), we walked appx 1/4 mile to the ATVs w/ helmets. We were guided around the easy path a couple times, then through some muddy trails. Because my son was on a smaller ATV, he couldn't proceed on the challenging trails. My DH, BIL and his friend went on to the jungle, up/down a mountain, and back. My son and I stayed in the easy zone. At the end of the ATVs, we walked back up to the facility and they gave us more punch and finger sandwiches as a snack. They were quite tasty! Derrick Evans, aka "Mr. Motivation"/the owner, came over to talk to us to make sure we had enjoyed our time there. No one solicited tips, but a sign was posted to state that tips should not be given to any individual because they were a team; there was a tip box located in the facility if we felt it was warranted. It definitely was! We also tipped the drivers because (1) he was funny when cars passed him at high rates of speed on very small roads saying "No worries mon, the roads are wide!";(2)gas is expensive in Jamaica at about $4.50 US/gal; and (3) both drivers tried to make us comfortable and the second offered to take us around the town.

I will say we were very muddy. Rain was expected later, but the trails had some really fun potholes filled with water when we got there. My DH said the trails were a blast; he had a great time. My DS was smiling from ear to ear and insincerely felt bad about getting so muddy. There is no way not to get dirty on this excursion, so plan ahead. From the knees down will be the worst. From waist up will be spotted.As a side note- Jamaican mud is orange and after five days of being in our luggage, it was tricky to get out in the wash. I would suggest either launder your items in the stateroom shower or in the facilities onboard.

I would highly recommend Shoretrips for the Zipline/ATV adventure in Ocho Rios. We had a fantastic time!

Archived