Not to be missed Ports of Call?

newistcruiseaddict

I'm sure this has been asked but I can't get the search button to fx this morning and frankly, I'm a little overwhelmed by all this information.

It seems most people have their cruises picked out and need help with excursions. I can't seem to get even that far!

I will probably book a round trip cruise because I'll likely be using airline miles for a free ticket, so I'll have to enter and leave from the same airport.

I need to know what ports are absolutely "not to be missed." I'm looking at sailing early June next year. My kids will be 11 and 8, so I'm really looking for ports with exciting family activites (we're pretty adventurous).

Also, I've seen some stuff about princess lodges. I'm assuming that is some sort of a land/sea package...is that correct?? :confused: Would we be better off doing that or sticking strictly to cruising?? Thanks in advance!

We are going on our first Alaska cruise this June, followed by a 9-day independent land trip by rental car. You don't have to fly into and out of the same airport in order to use miles. We're using American Airlines miles to fly into Vancouver and home from Anchorage on a combination of American and Alaska Airlines (an AA partner) flights. When you use miles, you can usually book a stopover along the way.

As for Alaskan ports, Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway are probably the most popular. Sitka, Icy Strait Point, and Haines are visited less often. If you leave from Seattle, you'll make a stop in a Canadian port - usually Victoria or Prince Rupert Island.

The glaciers visited seem to be the deciding factor for many people, with Glacier Bay being the preferred glacier-sailing day. Others are Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm Fjord, and College Fjord. If you do a one-way cruise that goes to Glacier Bay, chances are good that you'll also go to College Fjord.

Princess owns 5 lodges for people on their cruisetours, but individuals can also stay there, if there's availability. They are quite expensive!

I also have used air miles to fly into one city and out of another, so at least check into it. Alaska Airlines even lets you book one way tickets with miles, now.

Unless you only have exactly one week, I suggest you take a one way and spend at least a couple days in southcentral Alaska. I'm sure your kids will love it.

I have used airline miles to fly into one city and out of another. I have also used airline miles to fly to one city with a stop in a second en route city for several days or a week (max time of stop is basically unlimited).

Re: Alaska Air's "one way" tickets with miles - that is a bit misleading. You may book one way using the lowest award level and the other way using the higher award level in case the lowest award level is not available in both directions. So basically they take 1/2 of each award level. More "each way" not "one way" since you would not be able to use half the miles to just fly purely one way. Continental, Northwest and other airlines have been doing this for quite some time already.

Exciting...had no idea that was even an option! We have NWA miles.. I think my son is the only one without enough miles..he was free (under 3)the first few times we flew.

I definately find the one way touring more appealing..that way I could tack on a couple of days pre AND post cruise.

We're really tight on budget. Whats the least expensive way to stay behind in Alaska for a few days? I hear about alot of people doing the rv thing. I guess if I go this route, I'd have to make sure I pick a cruise that ends in a desirable post cruise local. Hmmmm.....

We're really tight on budget. Whats the least expensive way to stay behind in Alaska for a few days? I hear about alot of people doing the rv thing. I guess if I go this route, I'd have to make sure I pick a cruise that ends in a desirable post cruise local. Hmmmm.....

If you're on a northbound cruise, it will end in either Seward or Whittier. I believe the closest place to rent an RV is Anchorage. You can also do the land part first after flying to Anchorage - then take a train/shuttle/rental car to the port in Seward or Whittier.

I should have explained...in order to get the best cruise rate, I'll have to do the earilest possible cruise in June. I can't go a long pre cruise stay because my kids don't have their last day of school until June 5th. I don't mind them missing the last two days or so, but I wouldn't, for example, book a great deal on a June 3rd sailing out of Alaska and then head in a week early.

Speaking of (should I start a new thread for this question?) when would be the BEST time to book a June 2008 Alaska cruise? I generally book as soon as I can afford the deposit..BUT...carnival is nice enough to refund the difference if the rate drops. Do other cruise lines do this? Am I better off booking as soon as the itenerarys are released or is there a magic window?

Speaking of (should I start a new thread for this question?) when would be the BEST time to book a June 2008 Alaska cruise? I generally book as soon as I can afford the deposit..BUT...carnival is nice enough to refund the difference if the rate drops. Do other cruise lines do this? Am I better off booking as soon as the itenerarys are released or is there a magic window?

If you aren't particular about cabin type or location, I wouldn't be in a hurry to book. If you want a certain cabin/location, then book it and keep watching prices.

We're on the northbound Coral Princess June 4th. I booked the cruise in May, changed to a different Princess ship (leaving 2 days earlier) in September, and in December saw that prices went down on a higher category cabin - so changed cabins and saved a little money. I think most cruiselines will give you the lower price before final payment is due. After that - I don't know.

I see numerous offerings for early June cruises (post final payment window) this year in the $600* to $800* range IS, and only a bit more for OV. I'd almost be tempted to take my son out of school to pick up the HAL $450* one I see advertised for May 18th this year. Since he graduates the 25th of May, guess I won't!

If you're on a definite schedule and want a specific cabin, book it, then watch rates until final payment for adjustments. If not, I've seen some budget friendly bargains offered over the past 3 years after the final payment due date... but it's not a given! Moreso for one-way cruises than the round-trips.

I believe all cruiselines will adjust your rates if prior to final payment.

We found RVing a cost effective way to travel interior for our family last year. Much less than the 4 of us would cost cruise-tour, and after doing some math, a little cheaper than if we'd've used car rental/lodging/restaurants. We didn't dine out often, preparing meals in the RV, saving on food costs, and only overnighted 4 of the 8 nights at pay camping. Room to stretch, and the 'necessary' room onboard was a bonus!

I also purchased 2 TourSavers for our family of 4. They help with the budget in the long run, if even only a few coupons are useful.

All ports are going to offer something for an active family. Just be aware that many excursions are expensive, and your family excursion totals can easily cost as much as the cruise itself. Most are worth every penny! Some, such as Mendenhall Glacier and it's good hiking areas (Juneau), are inexpensive to access. With a year to plan and save, you've got a great head-start.

*pre-tax, of course:rolleyes:!

Archived