Shore Excursion Releases

sailordude

Hi all,

Just got back from my first cruise. Had a great time. I do though have a item that I want to bring up and that is the release forms for the shore excursions.

Like, has ANYONE (besides me) actually read them? Do you understand the ramifications of what their pushing?

The lines that really get me are where they say (and I'm trying to recall it but might get it slightly wrong), "If DCL or the Shore Excursion Provider is neglegent in their actions or inactions that results in injury or death to you or your family, then you don't hold either DCL or the Shore Excursion provider responsible".

Now understand, this is MUCH further then your release for the cruise as provided by DCL. Under that release, if DCL hurts you (or kills you) you CAN hold them responsible, you just can't sue for mental anguish or mental suffering and have to sue in such and such a circut court in the state of Florida.

Frankly folks, I have a real problem being presented by the releases on the shore excursions. Your giving them a blank check if something bad happens to you or your family, and it's only presented to you for your inspection ONCE your aboard (in our case, months after we booked our shore excursions). And of course if you don't sign it, then no shore excursions.

I have a copy of each of the shore excurision releases, and will be posting them to my web site later this week.

-- sailordude

Don't go anywhere. Don't even go out your house! There are so many scammers out there, that's why there are all of these protection devices, for anyone in business. Everyone{not} seems to want to get over someone. Should a snorkeling excursion allow a 300 lb. person, snorkel off their boat? The answer is yes, if they are 7' tall. Should a parasail excursion, allow you to take a 6 year old child up 500' in the air with you? The answer is no, because someone might actually throw their child away, from 500' ! Scot Peterson could have gone on a cruise! Metrowon

I do believe that you have a voice in what DCL adopts as its 'release' for these shore excursions. I was talking to one of my co-workers that just did a DCL cruise in September and they don't remember having been presented with any shore excursion releases. This has been something that only recently has been adopted by DCL, and you can have a voice in changing it.

I -do- understand that there are people out there that are prone to suing, but I don't think that I should have to give away my rights to enjoy a shore excursion, nor should you.

Example: I did take the release to the shore excursion desk and complain about its language. The officer manning the desk was not aware of the language of the release, so I pointed it out to him. He was very nice (and I was trying to be nice as well) and he pointed out, "Hey, were DISNEY, were going to treat you right, your going to be safe." And my response was, "In which case, you don't need a release. The release is in case you DON'T take the precautions to keep people safe."

We signed the form and took the shore excursion. Our first shore excursion at St. Martin was the Pina Island snorkel, so we had to bus it to the backside of the island and then take a large boat to Pina Island. We had 54 DCL guests with us. We got on the boat (small, packed) and at one point we're miles from land. I poke my dear wife and say, "You see ANY PFD's on this boat?" We look around and nope. Nothing.

Look folks. We're all responsible for our actions. I'm only asking that DCL be responsible if they maim, injure or kill one of their guests. It could be you or one of your loved ones. This is your cause and your rights that you should be defending.

-- Larry

Archived