Formal Night, Not to be missed?

indie

my wife and I originally planned to eat in the dining room on formal night, however we changed our mind because we wanted to pack lighter, and also we enjoy the idea of being casual when on vacation.

I will be the best man in a wedding in tampa a couple of days before our inspiration cruise, so we have to pack for several days in tampa as well....and will have gotten our "dress up" experience out of the way for the wedding lol.. It is our first cruise, and i really just wanted to know if the dining experience (other than attire) was really different and if we would be really missing out?

thanks in advance!

Oh, don't miss out on Formal night in the dining room! It is really quite nice. To me, the dining experience in the dining room is much better than the buffet for evening meals. The selection is much better in the dining room. I love buffets, and we always eat breakfast and lunch there, but for dinner we always go to the dining room. Also, there will be the Captain's Cocktail party on the first formal night, where you get free alcohol and hor's deouvres. A nice little party. Enjoy your cruise. :)

My experience has been that the formal night is when they serve lobster. If you're a lobster fan, you might want to go. However, keep in mind that the "formal attire" for the night is only a suggestion. They can't make you pack or wear formal clothing.

I say that as long as you are willing to keep to the standard dining room dress code; i.e., no jeans, no muscle shirts, no bathing suits, etc.; go and eat in the dining room!

I've seen all sorts of attire on formal night. It wouldn't take up much more room to pack a button-down shirt and tie for you and a casual dress for your DW for that night.

i enjoy formal night as everyone is dressed up and since it's the captain's dinner you get free coctails in some of the lounges. also if you like lobster and filet mignon this is the night they have it. while everyone doesn't attend on this night i always felt when your walking around the ship and everyone is dressed up, the ones who are not seem out of place. not that i cared one way or the other but the looks on their faces made me think they felt out of place. but dressed up doesn't mean tuxes and formals, you can wear a pair of dress pants and a nice shirt and the woman wear anything from formals to dress pants and a nice top

you can wear a pair of dress pants and a nice shirt

Sorry to disagree.

Certainly tuxes are not required and, indeed, are in a slim minority.

I would argue, however, for a jacket and tie. A dark suit would be better still.

Thanks to both of you.

My wife and i really arent lobster people, so we can definitely stand to miss lobster night ....we dont mind dressing up, we just didnt want to have to bring the extra clothes since we are already packing for several "precruise" days...and i will also be bringing a rental tuxedo for a wedding.

i definitely dont want to ruin the formal night atmosphere for others who care by comming casual to the formal night, we will likely eat in the dining room on the other nights . I just didnt want to miss an event if formal night is something really fun or different from other nights in the dining room?

the Captains party? is this like a real party? or just a usual dinner with free alcholic beverages. I dont know anything about dinner? I hear the waiters entertain the diners?

i enjoy formal night as everyone is dressed up and since it's the captain's dinner you get free coctails in some of the lounges. also if you like lobster and filet mignon this is the night they have it. while everyone doesn't attend on this night i always felt when your walking around the ship and everyone is dressed up, the ones who are not seem out of place. not that i cared one way or the other but the looks on their faces made me think they felt out of place. but dressed up doesn't mean tuxes and formals, you can wear a pair of dress pants and a nice shirt and the woman wear anything from formals to dress pants and a nice top

do people generally stay in their dinner attire for the rest of the nights activities?

LOL, im the type of guy who likes to change out of suits ASAP. Mainly because im hot natured and feel stuffy in suits.

the Captains party? is this like a real party? or just a usual dinner with free alcholic beverages. I dont know anything about dinner? I hear the waiters entertain the diners?

The Captain's Cocktail party is a 1-hour party, usually held in the showroom, before dinner. They have free booze and snacks. It's just a nice little get-together that offers a chance to get a few free drinks.

Yes, the waiters do a little dance routine in the dining room, but that happens pretty much every night ~ not just formal night. It's kind of entertaining, but gets a little old by the end of the cruise.

do people generally stay in their dinner attire for the rest of the nights activities?

LOL, im the type of guy who likes to change out of suits ASAP. Mainly because im hot natured and feel stuffy in suits.

Most people seem to change out of their formal attire after dinner. I know my family does. We love to dress up for dinner, but after that, comfort wins out! :D

Indie - Since your clothing is all set...

Formal Night is a fun time. The Captain's Cocktail Party is nice, and is held in the main showlounge. The Captain and Cruise Director will be on stage, and the Captain will introduce his officers. There will be music from a live band. Complimentary hors d'oeuvres and cocktails will be passed around by waiters.

Contrary to an above post, "free" drinks are not served in other lounges that evening.

Dinner is nice. Prime rib and lobster, as well as other entrees, are on the menu. (Filet mignon is served another night.)

I've never felt uncomfortable among many other passengers who opted not to dress up on that evening. Many folks have said they change into casual clothing after dinner. That's entirely your option. Do whatever's comfy for you. Enjoy yourself!

Bon Voyage!:)

Most people from my experience change right after dinner and do not spend the entire evening dressed up. Our first cruise, we did stay dressed right through the closing of the disco at 3 AM but since then, with the kids, we change.

This cruise we are skipping formal night and will eat in the buffet restaurant one night (have never done that before). 3 suits and 2 dresses can stay at home (or in the stores) for us this cruise. It is last minute and wanted to go with less. I am a believer that if suggested dress for the night means if you want to eat in the dining room then dress, otherwise eat elsewhere and do not dress up, we will still have nice clothes for the evening similar to those we wear the rest of the week.

As far as missing something, the dining room experience will be about the same of that night as the others so you will not miss much, maybe some dancing, maybe a food choice or two but that is all.

Anyway, have fun and enjoy.

It sounds like it can be a very nice night. The decision has gotten a bit more difficult...maybe ignorance was bliss. lol ill let my wife read this topic and responses tonight and see if she wants to do it or not. :)

It sounds like it can be a very nice night. The decision has gotten a bit more difficult...maybe ignorance was bliss. lol ill let my wife read this topic and responses tonight and see if she wants to do it or not. :)

I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes. My dh packs 1 dark suit, 2 dress shirts and 2 ties. On formal night, he wears the dark suit, white shirt and a nice tie. On semi-formal, he wears the same suit, pink shirt and a black tie. That way he gets away with taking only 1 suit. I threaten him with death if he spills anything on it (but the Tide pen works wonders) and he changes out of his clothes immediately after dinner. The rest of the week he wears nice slacks and a polo shirt or Hawaiian shirt to dinner.

If you really want to go to formal night, just pack a nice pair of slacks, a button down shirt, tie and sport coat and go. I really don't think anyone cares that you don't have a full suit on. Your wife would be fine in a nice dress or pretty pantsuit.

Or, you could rent a tux on board but since you already are doing that for a wedding, you will probably have enough of that!!!

Just have a good time and don't worry if you choose to go w/o a suit. As long as you don't have a t-shirt and jeans on for formal night, you will be fine.

I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes. My dh packs 1 dark suit, 2 dress shirts and 2 ties. On formal night, he wears the dark suit, white shirt and a nice tie. On semi-formal, he wears the same suit, pink shirt and a black tie. That way he gets away with taking only 1 suit. I threaten him with death if he spills anything on it (but the Tide pen works wonders) and he changes out of his clothes immediately after dinner. The rest of the week he wears nice slacks and a polo shirt or Hawaiian shirt to dinner.

If you really want to go to formal night, just pack a nice pair of slacks, a button down shirt, tie and sport coat and go. I really don't think anyone cares that you don't have a full suit on. Your wife would be fine in a nice dress or pretty pantsuit.

Or, you could rent a tux on board but since you already are doing that for a wedding, you will probably have enough of that!!!

Just have a good time and don't worry if you choose to go w/o a suit. As long as you don't have a t-shirt and jeans on for formal night, you will be fine.

i dont see why anyone would flame you. Thanks for the advice.

We only have 1 formal night as i understand it. Its a 5 night cruise.

But I'm 6'6, 350 + pounds, and i wear size 14 shoes. So my clothes take up more room than most lol. I wanted to leave behind a large garmet bag other than the one for the rental tux. (Which i will likely leave with my best friend if i can turn it back in to the rental chain location in tampa). Its very hard for me to rent a tuxedo even because im very large, tall and have 62 inch shoulders =)

lol plus, my wife cant just bring 1 more nice outfit..she will have to bring 3 more, and different shoes for each... LOL...

So these are the things really making us decide to keep packing as simple as possible and skip formal night, but at the same time, we want to miss one of the best events of our cruise, if of course, it would be one of the best events of our cruise..

If i leave behind the suit, i will have basically a couple of polo's, a couple of button up casual shirts, about 3 of pairs of khaki pants, and a pair of casual loafers for the other dining room nights.

You might want to pass this info along to your wife....

I take only ONE pair of dress shoes, and mix-and-match my outfits to go w/the shoes. I wear one pr. of sneakers for boarding and port days, and a pr. of slides for deck days. She can easily get away w/one pr. of black pants/skirt and several tops.

I've managed to get my cruise packing down to a science now. Pack the suitcase, then remove half of what you packed!!:D I think all of us seem to overpack.

adding my two cents...

while I think a coat is a good idea for formal night, there were plenty of men in just dress shirts and ties. My personal opinion is that it's worth the trouble to pack another outfit. It's fun to get dressed up and mingle with everyone else. The best picture hubby and I have ever taken was from one of our formal nights. And I cherish the memory of us dancing on the stage to the live music during the Captain's Cocktail party. To each his own....but since it's your first cruise I think you should definitely exerience it.

Archived