Suggested Time Frame to Shop a Cruise?

keishashadow

Have our Dec. Legend trip booked directly thru Carnival (great military rate; but I'm greedy lol).

No success with that un-named site; wherein you can shop your cruise for TA bids; last time I tried. Not sure if it was that DCL doesn't give many incentives, etc. :confused: Thinking it could've been my timing too.

Q #1 When should I try in an effort to get a better rate this time?

Q#2 Does this only work (transferring to a TA) BEFORE final payment is due?

Hi hope this helps. I like to shop and book early so I can pick where my cabin is. Also I have found to get better rates with the cruise line because the TA always calls to see if they will give them a better rate.

If you book early as you see any price drops Carnival is always happy to refund or give an onboard credit to use if you've already paid in full. Also if anything good comes up you can cancel up to 3 months with no cost if you use the cruise line where TA may want commission.

We like a balcony, not close to elevator or stairs and are always careful to look what is under or over your head and where the life boats are for obstructed views.

Good LUck

From what Iv observed and read here, no TA can discount Carnival's rate. They can give you some incentive to book with them, a bottle of wine, a fruit basket, whatever, but they cant discount the rates. So if Carnival's rates dont drop shopping around isnt going to help except to get a incentive to book thru the TA of your choice.

I would keep looking and checking the rates. I just booked last week, but will keep checking to see if rates drop on my late Oct cruise, you never know. Wish I could get that military rate, Iv heard its a nice discount. Congrats on getting a great rate.

I don;t know about all the lines on cancellation. We booked Oct 2006 for May 13, 2007 and had until Feb 28 2007 to cancel without penalty payments.

maybe its different with different TAs? I was told my full payment was due 70 days before the cruise and I can cancel anytime before that. I used a full service TA.

I can't answer for your situation, I can only tell mine. We booked with Carnival direct and had those dates 98 days to cancel with full refund.

I have not booked with a TA (per say) in our town, however I have booked with one at Cruises only.com or cruises-n-more.com and they called the cruise line while I was on the line to see what they would do for us on a discounted price and it was lowered.

This time we booked on the Victory in May and received a 4 category upgrade when we booked and got a past guest discount and then the price dropped 2 weeks ago and they gave us another 150 credit.

A lot of these places buy their bookings early and get their price and place their own price for them to make their money so they can sometimes take the choice to discount it.

I did use a local TA a few years back who gave me a good discount because one of her agents cost me a good price on a different trip so they can also discount, (if they choose.)

Not trying to argue a point just trying to give helpful information.

I found my own discounted fare 2 months ago and called Carnival and they were more than happy to give me the credit.

From what Iv observed and read here, no TA can discount Carnival's rate. They can give you some incentive to book with them, a bottle of wine, a fruit basket, whatever, but they cant discount the rates. So if Carnival's rates dont drop shopping around isnt going to help except to get a incentive to book thru the TA of your choice.

I would keep looking and checking the rates. I just booked last week, but will keep checking to see if rates drop on my late Oct cruise, you never know. Wish I could get that military rate, Iv heard its a nice discount. Congrats on getting a great rate.

This is not entiely correct...Carnival does not allow advertising rates lower that them, however you can discount the cruises, just can't advertise the discount price. RCCL and CEL do not allow either advertising or discounting.

I don;t understand your reply I did not say anything about advertising. If you go check websites for a price lower than yours they will honor the drop. Last post here did not do this to argue with you. have a nice day.

Carnival TA i spoke to today said:

* they will lower the fare on the cabin I booked if it's a "general" price reduction/sale price; and call in my request - not automatic.

* they will not price match ANY TA/website, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Carnival TA i spoke to today said:

* they will lower the fare on the cabin I booked if it's a "general" price reduction/sale price; and call in my request - not automatic.

* they will not price match ANY TA/website, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Good to know. I am still learning. Thats why I said from what I heard, as I didnt know, just what I had read on here, and there do seem to be differing opinions, so its good to get it from the horse's mouth, Carnival themselves. The one that counts.

thanks again for clearing this up.

On what time you're cruising as to what the standard rates are to begin with (whenever school isn't in session the rates go up pretty high). In the past I've booked as far ahead as I could and then the rates usually go up. In some cases, they do go down (in which case you can receive on board credit) and then could go up again the closer it gets to a sailing. It all ties into a mysterious formula the marketing honchos at Carnival have that figures the time until the sailing versus the number and categories of cabins unsold. No harm in locking in as soon as the sailing is released, IMO.

Not sure about transferring the booking to a TA, haven't ever had the occasion to do it.

Archived