Hampton Inn in Plantation was great!

LeslieSJ

We stayed for 2 nights at the end of Feb before our cruise and were very, very pleased. The hotel is super clean - it must be either new or newly remodeled. Everything is in great shape - nicely decorated. The staff were all friendly and helpful. They have a large (free) breakfast & also a complimentary happy hour each night.

The shuttle to/from the airport and port is also free. We had no problems with delays or anything like that with the shuttle in either direction.

The one downside is that it is a $30 taxi ride from the Las Olas/beach area or $20 to Sawgrass Mills Outlet. That's for 2 passengers, but it's in one direction. So our day on Las Olas cost $60 -- might have been cheaper to rent a car for the day & drive ourselves! But other than being somewhat isolated if you don't have a car - everything else was fantastic. I'd definitely stay there again -- especially if it's just for one night before a cruise and you don't need to do any taxi-ing around.

I had checked a lot of hotel prices and couldn't find anything closer to the beach for under $200 so this was a pretty good deal at $179.

Thanks LESLIE!

We're staying there for 2 days before our cruise in May.

Glad to hear its a nice one! Generally you cant go wrong with Hampton, but the ones nearer the cruise dock are feeling a little ragged these days! I was disappointed with the one on Stirling Road last time. I stay at Hampton all the time for work travels.

I figured the Plantation one is out of the way and quieter, so we can't wait to try it!

OUCH on the cab prices, though! That sounds very high! Maybe we'll try the city bus if we get adveturous!

Can you walk to the Broward Mall from the Hotel?

It looks like it is right across the street.

Thanks again for the info!

:)

DW and I stayed here for one night post cruise last October. We are also booked here for one night pre-cruise in May. It's a great, clean hotel in a very safe neighbourhood. We had/have a car rental so getting around is no problem for us. I believe the shuttle runs to/from the airport and cruise terminal, and local area but didn't need it. Great fresh baked cookies available at check in counter, 3 computer terminals in business centre off the lobby, and a great clean, relaxing breakfast area

You can walk to Broward Mall (we did) across the street with a food court and there's also a Target Superstore across from Broward Mall. There's also another plaza 2 blocks away with an Olive Garden and Smokey Bones restaurants amongst others.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Hi there...I live out here in the burbs....Broward Mall is ok, nothing special in this land of malls LOL...Sawgrass is great tho....rent a car if you can

JMO....there are many restaurants walking distance at the Fountains Shopping Center, Smoky Bones, Olive Garden etc....BUT>>> I would really suggest Padrino's...a family run Cuban restaurant...they have other locations around town but this one in Plantation is their "fancier' and prettiest I think

It is a really tropical feeling place...old photos of Old Havana on the walls, lots of palm tree plants...great service..and yummy Cuban food that you are NOT going to find on your cruise...

I like Ropa...Cuban Steak...Pork roast....Piccadillo (ground meat with spices/olives..yum) rice/beans/plantains...yummy bread...tres leches..so much better than the chain restaurants :)

http://www.padrinos.com/

HAHA!

I had to laugh, because...the day I pay $100 to rent a car so I can go to a Mall, well....you might as well just have me committed right then and there! :p

Thanks for the tip on Padrino's! That's exactly the type of place that I love to eat at on vacation....something I certainly can't get up here in NY every day! I bet I could ask the Hotel shuttle to drop me off there for dinner.

Anyone know if a public bus swings by that way that would go either to the beach or at least to A1A? If there is, I'll be on it!

Thanks again!

We had planned to try the local Cuban restaurant but the free happy hour at the Hampton included pizza that night so dinner plans were cancelled! Mooching the free dinner twice helped offset the ouch-factor of the $60 taxi to the Las Olas area.

Another couple in our taxi/van was dropped at Sawgrass Mills and they paid $20 so next time maybe we'll shop the outlets instead of the beachy stores. Although in the long run, I have a feeling that would be more expensive since the outlets looked like the kind where I could drop a bundle.

When we stayed there last Christmas, we took the public bus for $ 1.00 each way to go to Sawgrass. You have to walk over to the stop outside JC Penny. Only a 3 or 4 minute walk. Bus takes about 25 minutes, but it was not crowded and it was air conditioned.

How's that for a good tip?!

When we stayed there last Christmas, we took the public bus for $ 1.00 each way to go to Sawgrass. You have to walk over to the stop outside JC Penny. Only a 3 or 4 minute walk. Bus takes about 25 minutes, but it was not crowded and it was air conditioned.

How's that for a good tip?!

THAT ROCKS!!!

Thanx JSPIRIT!!!

I'll be sure to check at the Hotel for the latest schedule!

they told us to take a taxi, for about $ 25.00 each way.

Just go to the stop at JC P. I think we might have called the bus company, or just asked someone at the stop. The bus comes every 30 minutes. I think at 5 after the hour, and 25 minutes to the hour. Just ask one of the drivers.

BTW, it lets you off right at the mall entrance, food court!

Here's the website or Broward County public transportation:

http://www.broward.org/bct/mapsandschedules.htm

One other thing we found out....

The day before our cruise (Saturday) is the Fort Lauderdale Air Show!

That gives us another option if the weather is good that day! Lying on the beach with a coller full of Coronas and watching the planes fly by sounds like the perfect pre-cruise day to me!!! :D

Another good restaurant nearby is J.Alexanders on Broward Blvd east of University.

Thanks SIGNMAN!

We always like to try out different "local" places to eat when we travel. I get stuck with the "chain" places far too often when I have to travel for work!

Archived