Alcohol allowance

mom2NnB

I have never shopped "duty free" or been out of the US, so I'm not even sure what duty free means.

What EXACTLY are we allowed to bring back per adult and from where? I saw one site said something like "1 bottle per person as long as it was made in that port". Does this mean I can bring home a bottle from Bahamas, Grand Cayman and Jamaica as long as each was made there? Or can you only bring back one per person and pay for the extra bottles? Maybe I misunderstood or remember incorrectly. Does alcohol cost less in the other countries is that why there are limits? Not looking to open a liquor store, but if I find something different in each of my ports would like to buy it.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Back in late 2005 it was one liter per person per family traveling together. So if you had a family of four, you could bring back 4 liters. Worked for me, since the duty free was about 50% less than I could have bought at home.

(I got to take more family next time.:D)

Alcohol is generally a good bit cheaper, and that is why people 'stock up'. Duty (tax) free for a specific amount but you can bring back pretty much what you want. The additional bottles can be taxed - $1 to $2 a bottle - at customs - or not. Just depends on who's having a good day?

Check to find out what you can bring back duty free and be prepared to pay duty on the rest (may or may not happen - it's never happened to me). Be totally honest on your customs form. DO NOT try to slip something by them - that could get you in more trouble than it's worth.

Even with the duty, the alcohol is (almost always) cheaper than what you can get at home.

and, no, kids don't count. sorry.

You are allowed to bring back 1 litre per adult traveler. Not sure if this means 18 or 21, but figure it means 21.

Anything over that amount and you have to pay the "duty" or tax on the alcohol. Duty free simply means you are buying without paying taxes or import fees.

On the ships you buy the alcohol with no tax, in ports of call you sometimes pay local tax but many alcohols are much cheaper since often they are made there.

Don't worry about going over, and don't let anyone scare you about it. Don't smuggle, don't bring back an unreasonable amount, and don't lie to the customs guys. Follow those simple rules and you probably won't pay any taxes at all. I returned with 9 bottles from our last cruise with just DW and I and the guy signed my form and sent me on my way. If the tax you will pay is too low they don't worry about all the paperwork and trouble it generates. If you don't list it and you get checked the fines are MUCH stiffer than the possible taxes. One guy had 42 bottles with him, he paid $26 in taxes.

Don't smuggle, don't bring back an unreasonable amount, and don't lie to the customs guys. Follow those simple rules and you probably won't pay any taxes at all. One guy had 42 bottles with him, he paid $26 in taxes.

Having never had to pay for overage, my estimate of $1 - $2 a bottle may be a little much? Stick with the suggestions DarkJedi has made and you'll be fine (just as long as you have the means to get it all home!!).

Archived