Why a huge price increase?

My two sisters and I took our first cruise last September and were immediately hooked, so we booked another in early October. We wanted a D1 as it has a sofa bed rather than a pullman. I tried to book it on line but there were no D1's available for three people. I tried a travel agent that were offering D1's but they said they didn't have any for three people, but they said they would make enquiries and get back to me. When they phoned back they said that RCI were prepared to release one, so I booked there and then. I checked the web site yesterday just out of curiosity to see what was still available and imagine my surprise when I found that they had D1's for three people but that the price had gone up by £707 (1360 dollars) per person. My two queries are, how come there are now D1's available and why has the price increased so much when the norm in the travel industry is for prices to fall the nearer you get to the travel date?. Needless to say I am delighted with the price I got, but is it always advantages to book early?.

WOW! Maybe you came upon a special for the day and the increase was the normal price. For future reference, if I am looking for a cabin for three and nothing comes up, put in 4 people and you might find one. You obviously can't book on line but call RC and tell them you are looking at a specific cabin and give them the # you just found. I believe the prices only fall if they are trying to fill the ship. They will go up if they know it's a popular cruise or the ship is filling up. Glad you got the better price. Happy cruising.

If the price goes up you are locked into the lower rate, if the price goes down then you can get a price reduction. So yes I believe it is a great idea to book early. Both my cruises currently booked have been going up, up, up!!

For us, booking early has always turned out best and we've never had a price drop, only increase.

Prices only drop when the cruise isn't selling well, so it makes sense that if it is selling well, they will start adjusting the price upward.

Our last cruise was during Christmas week 2006, we booked it in January 06. By Feb the price had gone up $200 per person and kept climbing as the year went by. A month before we cruised, what we paid for a JS would not have gotten us the lowest price inside cabin.

Be thankful that you got the lower price :)

I have not been cruising all that long and because of my sister's health have been afraid to book very far in advance.

Looking at the Voyager out of Galveston (January - April 2008, approx is the only window that Voyager will be in Galveston) and the cheapest inside showing is $649 for a guarantee on two dates only. yikes.

So I should wait until they release the new cruises next month and then book way in advance? Prices will be better then is what folks are saying, that when they first release the cruises they are best priced early on usually. Will more cruises on Voyager show up past April 2008 out of Galveston when they release the rest of the schedule?

Im just taking my first RCI cruise next month, and it says I have to wait at least 2 weeks after that to apply to cork and anchor, so I have no idea what kind of discounts I can get as I cant even look at the site.

Feeling frustrated at the lack of knowledge.

I have not been cruising all that long and because of my sister's health have been afraid to book very far in advance.

Looking at the Voyager out of Galveston (January - April 2008, approx is the only window that Voyager will be in Galveston) and the cheapest inside showing is $649 for a guarantee on two dates only. yikes.

So I should wait until they release the new cruises next month and then book way in advance? Prices will be better then is what folks are saying, that when they first release the cruises they are best priced early on usually. Will more cruises on Voyager show up past April 2008 out of Galveston when they release the rest of the schedule?

Im just taking my first RCI cruise next month, and it says I have to wait at least 2 weeks after that to apply to cork and anchor, so I have no idea what kind of discounts I can get as I cant even look at the site.

Feeling frustrated at the lack of knowledge.

While you are onboard next month you can book your next cruise and you get onboard credit for doing this. The amount will depend on how long the cruise is. You can still do this even though you are not officially a Crown (not cork) and Anchor member. If you wait until after you get off there really are not many discounts to until you get the higher levels, though they do have coupons that are posted in the "members only" section on the website. BTW I was able to apply for C & A within a couple of days of finishing my first RCCL cruise, not two weeks.

Back to the OP's original query - generally, prices are the best when the itineraries are first announced and will then steadily increase as time goes on as long as the cruise is selling well. Sometimes, as was the case with my upcoming AOS cruise, if a cruise is not selling well, the price will be reduced (supply and demand). In regards to cabins opening up, this is often the case after the final payment date has passed and either people have cancelled or TA's have released cabins that they haven't sold.

Archived