Paradise Beach, fishing and seasickness

firsttimecruiser77

Hi everyone,

I read that Cozumel has some great deep sea fishing excursions available and my DH loves to Deep sea fish but has never been in the caribbean. The problem is that its just the two of us. As much as I'd love to give him this as a surprise, I'm so terrified of getting seasick on the boat. We'll be there in May. Anyone know what the weather and seas are usually like during this time? We'd be fine in 2-3 ft seas but anything more and I'll be ill. Anyone else prone to seasickness fish without incident (after taking bonine)?

Does anyone know if we can get our catch cooked different ways at Paradise Beach? If so, what different ways can they serve it up? DH mentioned that they did this at a restaurant in the Keys and he loved it. I'd loved to give him this surprise and I also want to try PB anyway after all the great reviews here. I guess I'm looking for some advice.

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

The one time I went deep-sea fishing this year in May, it was not windy, and the waves weren't of any consequence. It all depends on the wind. The stronger the wind, the bigger the waves!

Yes, you can get your catch cooked up here...we did it a lot this spring. The Chef can bake your fillets in the oven with white wine and spices, or breaded and deep-fried, or grilled, or with garlic (mojo de ajo) or just about any way you want!

Hopefully the seas won't be up when you're here next May, Jennifer, I wish you a good vacation and lots o' fish!

I think that finalizes my plan for Cozumel. I'm going to get over my fears and get my hubby booked on a fishing trip. Then we'll bring our catch (and we'd better have a catch :) to PB for you to cook it up! I know this will be so much fun, especially for him.

What a valuable resource you have come to be on this board, PBTom!!!

Hi everyone,

I read that Cozumel has some great deep sea fishing excursions available and my DH loves to Deep sea fish but has never been in the caribbean. The problem is that its just the two of us. As much as I'd love to give him this as a surprise, I'm so terrified of getting seasick on the boat. We'll be there in May. Anyone know what the weather and seas are usually like during this time? We'd be fine in 2-3 ft seas but anything more and I'll be ill. Anyone else prone to seasickness fish without incident (after taking bonine)?

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

Forget the bonine. Get a Relief Band, the only device approved by the FDA to prevent motion sickness. These aren't the sea bands (little straps with balls) but an electronic device that looks like a wristwatch. The best part is they have no side effects and you can use it AFTER you get symptoms if you need to. HIGHLY recommended. Get more info here: http://reliefband.com/main.html You can get them at drugstore.com right now on sale.

That way you can join your husband no matter what. Read the reviews on the drugstore.com site. They're amazing!

Hi Tom,

My husband and I are going to be in Cozumel in Sept. on the RCCL Grandeur of the Seas. He loves fishing as well. What, do I need to do to set up a fishing trip for the time we are there? Can you point me in the right direction and let me know about pricing? Thank you in advance.

Godskidisme

Forget the bonine. Get a Relief Band, the only device approved by the FDA to prevent motion sickness. These aren't the sea bands (little straps with balls) but an electronic device that looks like a wristwatch. The best part is they have no side effects and you can use it AFTER you get symptoms if you need to. HIGHLY recommended. That way you can join your husband no matter what. Read the reviews on the drugstore.com site. They're amazing!

Do you think my insurance would cover the stronger prescription model or should I go for the OTC travel model?

I know they cover the patches but they made me feel a little funny!

Thanks again for the advice!

Thank you so much Paradise Beach Tom for the referral. Hope to meet you during out time there.

Oh, my husband would like to know what the temperture is usually in early Sept. ( we are scheduled for Cozumel on 9/8/04) and if the water is normally calm or alot of waves (is that the right term???) or rough, during the early part of September? Thanks again for the website for fishing. I already sent an e-mail request.:)

Godskidisme

Thanx Tom! I know I shouldn't judge the "quality" of the fisherman by his web-site! Most good fisherman would rather be out on the water than doing up some type of professional site! I've saved both sites to "my favourites".

Anything else you come up with will be seriously considered...

Merci Beaucoup!

Actually, I`ve been asking around about fishing charters and my chiropractor (and good friend, Scott) reminded me about Albatross Charters. They've been around since 1997 and you can find them here:

http://www.cozumel-fishing.com

Their website is "shake" free!

Thanks Tom, I will try this one as I have yet to hear back from the Wahoo one. I sent an e-mail asking for prices, etc. but nothing so I will try this one. Thanks again.

Godskidisme

BOWARD57

Are you on the Grandeur of the Seas leaving out of Baltimore on 9/4/04? Did you get

any response from the fishing websites?

Godskidisme

I'm on the Glory out of Cape Canaveral on the 15th of January. I too did not hear back from Wahoo1. Albatross looks interesting though.

Actually, I`ve been asking around about fishing charters and my chiropractor (and good friend, Scott) reminded me about Albatross Charters. They've been around since 1997 and you can find them here:

http://www.cozumel-fishing.com

Their website is "shake" free!

Thanks Tom for the hook up. We ended up booking Albatross Charters and Rita was extremely patient and answered all of my questions by e-mail and I spoke with her yesterday. Nice lady. And, my husband is on cloud nine just thinking about fishing. So thank you for the information. I have yet to hear back from Wahoo Fishing folks, so my thoughts are that they must not have gotten the e-mail due to their shaky website. In any case, we are set.

Last question for today is if we catch fish, is it possible to get it cooked at Paradise Beach?

Godskidisme

Hi All,

Just an FYI, I received a response from Wahoo Tours within 24 hours.

Here is part of his reply to me:

Well, it looks like a bit longer for my computer systems to be back. A

¨technician¨making the configuration for Prodigy completely wiped out my

operating systems so things are in a mess.

So, I think we have to give the guy a chance!

Archived