Wheelchair & Scooter Use on Pride of Aloha

funtime5

We will be cruising to Hawaii on the Pride of Aloha in May and would appreciate any information regarding renting a scooter and how assesible is the ship for scooter and small companion wheelchair. We will be staying in a "regular" balcony cabin as there are no HC balconies on the PA. Husband is able to walk a few steps but requires the wheelchair for distance. Also, any information on excursions, ports etc. would be helpful. Thank You.

Do you know if your scooter will fit through the door of a regular cabin? Can your husband step up into the bathroom and stand in a regular shower without full grab rails?

There are accessible cabins on this ship. We don't care about a balcony as we are so rarely in the cabin during the day and we can cruise more often when we get the cheapest accessible cabin we can find.

I'm not sure about your ship but you will need an accseeible cabin. I have & am using Care Vacations to rent a power WC. Their web site is www.carevacations.com & phone 877-478-7827. They are great to deal with. The WC will be in your cabin when you board & you leave it there when you leave the ship. I recomend a WC because they are easier to navigate both on & off the ship.

:) Happy Cruising:)

yes, work with care vacations, but you will have to get a small travel scooter. The non-accessible check usually have a door width of 23 or so inches, but check with the access dept. for accurate measurements. Then make sure you specify to Care vacations that you need a scooter no wider than X because you do not have an accessible room.

POA is an older ship but pretty easy to navigate in a scooter. There are a few access blips and the buffet can get pretty tight and crowded, but for the most part it's pretty good.

I'm not really sure where you are going to store a wc and a scooter in your cabin, as there isn't much room and you are prohibited from storing in in the hallway.

Persoanlly I go for one of the inside cabins if they are available -- they are very spacious and to be honest you don't spend that much time on this ship as it's a very shore intensive itinerary with overnights in two ports. Great itinerary though.

Here's a link to some info on NCL from my blog:

http://barrierfreetravels.com/serendipity/archives/14-Acquisitions-and-Access.html

And here's a link to an article I wrote about the POA in my TWI Column. It's a little dated but most of the info is still accurate

http://www.travelworldmagazine.com/contributors/detail.php?ArticleID=933

Candy

• 3 months later...

Thanks a million for the care vacations link. I am looking into renting a power chair for my DD for our Hawaiian cruise. Of course that means we will be storing a manual chair, power chair and a walker in our room. We have room 8596. Hope it's big enough for all that equipment.

Archived