Is there enough for kids to do on a Canada/NE cruise?

I'm looking to do a short cruise, 4 or 5 days from NY this summer and Carnival Victory looks to be the only ship that fits the bill. I don't want to fly anywhere, so NY/NJ are the only ports I'm considering.

We cruised the Miracle in 2005 and LOVED IT!

Is there enough to do in St. John & Halifax to keep the kids (they will be 14, 11 & 11) interested? I know they will be busy and entertained on the ship.

My three kids were 15, 12, and 6 when we cruised, and had a wonderful time. We saw some historic sites (freedom trail and old ironsides in boston), and rented cars and explored on our own in most ports. We are not really into shopping (other than LLBean in Maine), but did a lot of hiking and exploration on our own. We went whale watching in 2 ports (Bar Harbor and Halifax). There are a lot of active excursion options...kayaking, jet boat (in Saint John)...so you should be able to find something to keep them busy in port.

But your kids might be different than mine...I would look over the shore excursion offerings in the various ports to get an idea of the kinds of activities available.

Hi Sweetpea - In Halifax, your kids would probably love the Harbour Hopper excursion. It's a one-hour land/sea tour on an amphibious vehicle/vessel. DH and older two sons did this tour last year and had a great time. (I was with youngest son who insisted on meeting Theodore Tugboat - that wasn't what older sons had in mind.) This is a tour I'd plan on my own and not through Carnival - it's a lot cheaper on your own.

There's a lot to do along the waterfront in Halifax - any number of boat tours are available.

When we went to Saint John in 2004, we took a one-hour hore-drawn trolley tour, then walked around town on our own. The kids were fine with it, but this year I'd like to think about something else - maybe the reversing rapids tour.

(We're going again on August 11 for the 5-day on Victory! No hurricanes on the Canada route:D )

This topic has ME shaking in my boots also. We have done this cruise twice. We are really "Caribbean beach goers" but did the Canada cruise because we live so close to the pier and it's a nice few days away from the rat race. We have been on so many cruises and always rave about them. So DH's whole family, sisters, nieces, cousins, kids, etc are going on the 5 day Victory cruise with us in July. It is definitely NOT a tropical island kind of vacation and I, too, am a bit worried that they will be "bored" especially since we have hyped up the cruises so much. The kids range in age from 20-13, so I am up for any suggestions also. We really just get off the ship and walk around and see the area. Went to Peggy's Cove the lst time we were there. This time I want to go to the cemetary that has the Titanic burial area. But I don't think that is a fun excursion for teens!

Kathy - one hurricane cruise was enough for me, :D however that won't stop us from cruising the Caribbean in the summer again.

With the NY port being less than 2 hours from our house it just seems to make sense to cruise from there, especially since I only want to go for a few nights.

I'll look into the Harbour Hopper excursion. Anyone do the reversing falls?

I'm still trying to convince DH we need to get away thins summer.

Archived