Around the Horn plus Machu Pichu

carol7353

Thanks for the info.

Still waiting for all the cruiselines to publish their fall 2008 schedules so we can make some inquiries.

As long as where we go has no SNOW, we will (at least I will) be happy. We live in the northeast so going to a cold climate is not high on the list. :)

Julia

Thanks for the info.

Still waiting for all the cruiselines to publish their fall 2008 schedules so we can make some inquiries.

As long as where we go has no SNOW, we will (at least I will) be happy. We live in the northeast so going to a cold climate is not high on the list. :)

Julia

Please be aware that is will be relatively cool (40-50's) during at least 1/2 of an around the Horn cruise. Ushuaia is 639 miles from Antarctica. The Chilean fjords will have snow on the mountains. And it can be cold, snowy, sleety, very blustery around Cape Horn. The earlier you go, the cooler it will be.

I had to laugh the first SA cruise we went on (February 2002) RTH from Valparaiso to Rio. Decent weather in Valparaiso, kept getting cooler and cooler. I actually took my fur coat with me and it was great at nights on deck.

When we went to Magdalena Island for the penguins, there was a large group of French people with us. They were NOT dressed for the occasion. The entire group looked extremely miserable. I finally asked one lady why they didn't bring warm clothes. The heaviest I saw anyone wear was a sweatshirt and sweat pants, blazed with the X logo.. She stated "it's summer, who knew it was this cool????". The French group only brought light weight clothing and lots of swim wear. They were at the pool every day, usually wrapped in blankets. The rest of us had on fleece jackets, hoodies, and gloves. I very specifically remember sitting in the hot tub while viewing the Chilean fjords. It was d**** cold when I got out. My friends hair froze on the way to the cabin. Temp was in the mid 40's and the wind doth blow down there.

Buenos Aires and Rio will be tropical (65-75) while Valparaiso will be in the high 50-60's. Think Los Angeles weather in March.

You may want to look into the repo cruises from Florida. Those are usually early/mid November and are primarily in warm weather. Through the Panama Canal and usually end in Valparaiso. Easy flight from Santiago to Cusco to see MP. Enjoy!!!

Archived