Dawn review...just returned yesterday!

kevinsmom

Hi Gina,

I saw, as you did, many small babies/children on the ship and was wondering if I was walking past you at any point. I totally agree that it was easier for us with a 6 month old, let's face it, at this point he has to go where we go.......We definitely had to compromise on the things that we did on shore, no heavy beach time, etc. Also, I definitely brought to many clothes items for my son based on the laundry room.

Anyway, although it wasn't my most restful trip, it was very good to get away.

By the way, did you have any problems with the large groups of teenagers that were on the ship. We found them to be a problem, especially at night when they basically took over some of the lounges, heckling the performers, etc.?

Vickie

i agree there were a ton of teenagers on the ship, i was surprised. i didn't really get to go to the shows and such, but i did find it rude that they hung out on the steps constantly. i think the ship is largely targeted at families. i never saw so many children on the previous crusies i have been on. Maybe they didn't like the activities offered?!

gina

kevinsmom, yeah I have to admit that makes me very nervous! I think your post is the first I've read that said they wouldn't do it over again. Well, since our final payment was due today I guess we're definitely going unless something unexpected comes up! It's a 5 day itinerary so if it doesn't go so well hopefully it'll go quickly. Thanks for your tips.

hi, i am sorry, i didn't mean to discourage you :) like i said for me, i don't think i would do it over. i mean i really did enjoy the cruise itself, but i felt like it was too hard w/the baby. i will stick to local trips where there is a suite w/a kitchen and such, for the next couple of years. but ya know what, so many people travel w/little ones on cruises and overseas and enjoy it..so i think you will be fine. i am sure you will have a wonderful time :) at least you will have help that is always important. hey, i got to go to the spa TWICE..that was my special treat :)

Gina

I think you were lucky to get off before the hurricane really wound-up. We saw the weather on the weather channel last week-end and felt sorry for any one traveling out of NY to the Bahamas. Thanks for the review.

hi, i am sorry, i didn't mean to discourage you :) like i said for me, i don't think i would do it over. i mean i really did enjoy the cruise itself, but i felt like it was too hard w/the baby. i will stick to local trips where there is a suite w/a kitchen and such, for the next couple of years. but ya know what, so many people travel w/little ones on cruises and overseas and enjoy it..so i think you will be fine. i am sure you will have a wonderful time :) at least you will have help that is always important. hey, i got to go to the spa TWICE..that was my special treat :)

Gina

Gina, that's o.k. I'm sure we'll be fine. I just tend to be a worrier and I have recently came across a glitch in my plans so anything is throwing me for a loop at this point. I need to get a grip. So far everything I've stressed about with DD has gone fine. Sometimes I feel guilty that I don't give her enough credit for being so adaptable. Anyway, I'm planning on visiting the spa too! This will be my 8th cruise and I have yet to have a massage. I think with a 1 year old, now is the time! Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Gina, that's o.k. I'm sure we'll be fine. I just tend to be a worrier and I have recently came across a glitch in my plans so anything is throwing me for a loop at this point. I need to get a grip. So far everything I've stressed about with DD has gone fine. Sometimes I feel guilty that I don't give her enough credit for being so adaptable. Anyway, I'm planning on visiting the spa too! This will be my 8th cruise and I have yet to have a massage. I think with a 1 year old, now is the time! Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

You're right...its about time you got a massage :) it will feel great esp w/ all the achy muscles from lugging around a baby :) it will be great, i am here if you have any additional questions. you can also email if you want at Goldelocs1@aol.com

Gina

Hi Gina,

Thanks for your review. We were on the Dawn last year for our honeymoon (and first cruise). We had a great time but then again, we had nothing to compare it to. We just got back from a cruise on Holland America. The ship (Zuiderdam) was very similar to the Dawn. In fact, our balcony cabin was almost identical, except for the bathroom ~ the toilet was not in a separate area. Anyway, we will be back on the Dawn in a few weeks (DH won the free cruise in the raffle ~ although "free" certainly doesn't describe our cruise, far from it*) and I was wondering if there are cabanas to rent on Great Stirrup Cay ~ or maybe clamshells? Did you see lots of kids on the beach? We will be bringing our 11-year old son.

Thanks!

* if anyone is curious about what happens after you win a "free" cruise, feel free to ask.

Hi Kevinsmom,

Tks for your review of the Dawn. In reference to getting to the pier, I have arranged for my arrival at about 11 a.m. According to your review, this is much too early. Do you thing if we arrive after 1 p.m. it would be a lot easier.

There are four of us, all adults, and about 8 pcs of luggage. Do we get priority boarding if we are in a suite. Would appreciate your feedback. We are leaving this sunday Aug 8th.

Hi Gina,

Thanks for your review. We were on the Dawn last year for our honeymoon (and first cruise). We had a great time but then again, we had nothing to compare it to. We just got back from a cruise on Holland America. The ship (Zuiderdam) was very similar to the Dawn. In fact, our balcony cabin was almost identical, except for the bathroom ~ the toilet was not in a separate area. Anyway, we will be back on the Dawn in a few weeks (DH won the free cruise in the raffle ~ although "free" certainly doesn't describe our cruise, far from it*) and I was wondering if there are cabanas to rent on Great Stirrup Cay ~ or maybe clamshells? Did you see lots of kids on the beach? We will be bringing our 11-year old son.

Thanks!

* if anyone is curious about what happens after you win a "free" cruise, feel free to ask.

i didn't see any cabanas, however, there are a ton of umbrellas and chairs set up for you when you arrive. IMO the beach is very small when you consider the number of people they expect to hang out there. but the water was beautiful. my cruise had a lot of children and yes, they were on the island as well.

Hi Kevinsmom,

Tks for your review of the Dawn. In reference to getting to the pier, I have arranged for my arrival at about 11 a.m. According to your review, this is much too early. Do you thing if we arrive after 1 p.m. it would be a lot easier.

There are four of us, all adults, and about 8 pcs of luggage. Do we get priority boarding if we are in a suite. Would appreciate your feedback. We are leaving this sunday Aug 8th.

from my experience and from what i have been told on this board, you would be better off getting to the pier closer to 1pm. i think you will avoid all the hassle, esp if the ship happens to run a little late disembarking, which is what happened to us. if you can manage w/your luggage get dropped off across the street and walk over. have fun :)

I went on the dawn a few months ago with a group of 9. We took a limo to the peir and it took about 45 mins to to get from bottom level to the entrance on top(In November when Dawn is the only ship there, Hate to see it in the summer). We walked into the big holding area and the line was already going around the back of the bathrooms(11:30), But we just stood at the entrace and within a few mins they started put those metal fence things around the line and went around us so we were close to the front.;) Then got on the ship in maybe less then a halfan hour (We did have troubles checking in eith 3 teenagers in 1 room, but it worked out.)

kfleming/Sillybutt...

When you win a free cruise on NCL, you are not told before hand the restrictions but we still figured that there must be some. Joe (my DH) won the cruise (which was a free cruise for two, anywhere that NCL sails, for up to two weeks) with a raffle ticket during bingo the last full day of our cruise. It was very exciting, although I wasn't there to see DH win (I was in the gym), I know he was very very happy. We received a letter in our cabin with instructions that went something like this...Congratulations, etc. etc., please choose a cruise from the list provided. You can either choose three ships on one date, or three dates on one ship. You can request an updated list monthly....you have one year to book our free cruise.

Since we had just sailed ~ we certainly weren't ready to sail again anytime soon, so we knew we weren't going to choose from that list which was mostly cruises in the fall. The best time (probably the only time) for us to cruise is during the summer because our son is away at sleep away camp. Each month we requested the list (via email) and it usually arrived the next day. The monthly lists only included dates that would not work for us. There was never a time during a break from school. So, we decided to just wait for the summer months to be listed. Sometime in March (I think), June appeared on the list so we naturally assumed that the next month's list would have July or possibly August. Well, the next list did have a cruise the end of August but that was out of Texas and to make a long story short we just couldn't get anything going so we just booked our own cruise for the two of us with another cruise line so we would not lose our chance for a summer cruise. Now we were running out of time to book or lose the cruise ~ after many many months of phone calls and emails with NCL, Elizabeth Wong, the NCL representative in charge of the free cruises really came through for us. Although a cruise on the Dawn in August was not listed she managed to get us on this ship during a time when we could take our son and he won't miss school and we don't have to fly anywhere (which would have added to the cost). So, all in all, things did work out but it took a lot of patience. Also, since the "free" cruise only offered an inside cabin. The cost to upgrade to a balcony cabin was substantial, added to that are port charges and government taxes for three, and the additional cost for a third person (our son), it sure doesn't feel like a "free" cruise. But the excitment of winning will always be with my DH.

That being said, if Austin was older and we didn't have to worry about him, and we could have sailed at anytime, and it truly would have been a fabuolus "win". For example, one of the cruises offered was a two-week cruise to Europe. Imagine that!

Anyway, we are still very excited about sailing again on the Dawn in 16 days. Being able to take Austin will be so much fun (especially for him). I remember last year watching all the kids and thinking about how much Austin would love it on the ship.

So, that's the story (as well as my memory serves me so don't quote me :)).

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Archived