Question for experienced cruiser-attire for kids

go*gal

I have so much to do to get our family of 5 ready for the cruise:eek: ...To any of you with children (boys specifically) who have cruised before:

Do you attend formal nights for dinner? I know my kids will behave (dd13, ds12,ds10 yrs old) but the attire has me worried. Do the boys have to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights? What about the smart casual nights? Are khaki pants and a golf-polo style shirt okay for boys on smart casual nights?

We are on RCL Explorer.

Our sons wore polo shirts/kaki slacks for most evenings, no shorts. For formal nights they wore nice navy slacks, dress shirt and a tie. Our then 7yr old did wear a sports coat- this was his choice he wanted to be dressed like dad. He will be 12 this trip and will probably go the shirt/tie route. There are lots of cool ties out there.

The boys also wore silky hawaiian type shirts one evening (casual)

Bev

Little ones really like to dress up for dinner. A navy blazer, shirt and clip on tie with khakis will be fine for formal night. You pre-teen and teen sons might not be into dressing up for dinner but it is a good time for them to learn about the finer things in life. Invest in nice blue blazers for them too. At least the oldest can hand his down to the younger ones.

As for the rest of the cruise. On informal and casual nights- they look nice in polo shirts and khakis. Jeans and cargo pants are really not acceptible.

On all of our cruise DS(12) has worn khaki's with a collared shirt for everynight except on formal night he wore dress pants with a shirt and tie (fun ties with basketballs or Mickey Mouse when on Disney). I never made him wear a jacket because he grows way to fast and this would be the only time he would wear it (he is now 5'10" at 12 - I can't afford to dress him up like that for a once a year thing - I spend enough trying to keep him in every day clothes). DD(10) has always worn sundresses for everynight except formal night and I always found a nice formal dress on e-bay at a reasonable price that she could also use for Christmas or Easter depending on the time of the year. Hope this helps. :)

My ten year old loves to dress up for formal night, and the others. Before we cruised we went to the second hand store and got all kinds of great deals on some nice slacks, a suit, and dress shirts - very cheap!

He normally doesn't wear those types of clothes at home - so I didn't want to spend a fortune. All we had to do was hem a couple of the dress pants and he was good to go for the week. :D

Lisa

I asked Royal Caribbean about dining attire and this is what they had to say:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our Dress Code is a dining room guideline. We like for our guest to dress to the occasion because it adds more to the cruise ambience. We understand, however, that some guests are on vacation and want to wear what they want. We will not turn you away from the dining room if you want to wear blue jeans on formal night. We do ask that you do not wear shorts, t-shirts, or bathing suits in the dining as they are forbidden. Please note that we do offer casual dining in the Windjammer Cafe every night, except for the last cruise night.

Have a Great Cruise!

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Constance Wood

Customer Service Representative

I found great navy blue blazers for my boys (7 and 4) at Mervyns. They were on sale (probably because Easter is soon) and I had a 20% off coupon. I think they were around $31. They also have prepackaged shirt/tie combos that were around $14 I think.

They're really excited to match their dad.

I have girls, but yes they have always gone to every dinner with us, including formal nights. I don't think your boys will need jackets...just button down shirts would be fine.

I have a question. My girls are insistent on wearing flip-flops because thats what all teens wear these days. I know there are dressier ones and plain ones but are flip-flops ok to wear in the dining room?

I have a question. My girls are insistent on wearing flip-flops because thats what all teens wear these days. I know there are dressier ones and plain ones but are flip-flops ok to wear in the dining room?

Oh geez I don't know because I don't have teens. But if that's what they are all wearing then I guess how can you argue?

I took FOURTEEN pairs of shoes with us on the last cruise JUST for my 2 and 7 year old. :rolleyes: They have a little bit of a shoe addiction and when I was trying to narrow down the amount, they were telling me that they just HAD to have those pairs. I swear my 2 year old is worse than my 7 year old. So if you can get away with flip flops, then by all means, bring flip flops. :D

Just about anything will work with little ones. I think people are more concerned with whether or not they are well behaved than with what they're wearing. I just wanted to add that if you do want to find a blazer for any of them check ebay. I get one for my son normally less than $10.00 and I can normally get that much back for it when I sell it :)

Just another option for you. Have a great cruise and don't sweat the small stuff ;)

Would sundresses (fancier than average, tie at sholders, fitted on top then flare out) be acceptable for DDs ages 2, 4, 6, & 8 on Carnival Sensation? Grandma made the cutest matching dresses for all my girls for this past October trip to WDW. They all have a Disney theme (princesses, mickey, etc..) and I know we are not doing a Disney cruise but having them all match is priceless!

Also, what is good for day time? The standard bathing suits, shorts & cotton sundresses? Similar to clothes you would bring on a WDW trip I assume.

Thanks for any feedback!

The sundresses should look fine. My DD(10) likes to wear sundresses (esp over her swimsuit) and skorts during the day - she is a girlie girl- with sandals. Normally she wears a pretty formal dress on formal night that I have been able to find pretty reasonably priced on ebay. We normally try to find something that she can use at Easter or Christmas depending on what time of year it is.

I don't know about you but I myself love to dress my DS up. I mean what mother doesn't feel good when you hear total strangers walk by and comment about how cute or hansome your child looks. They only let you do this for such a short time that I am going to take advantage of all the time I get. Even when my DS is a teenager he will dress for dinner, heheh it might be the only time during the year I will be able to get him to so I can get a decent picture. Now a days if you shop early, espcially right after any holiday, you can generally find really cute dressey stuff for next to nothing. I know I have already got a few sweater vest outfits for non formal nights. I am also going to find him a nice blazer and a few pair of dress pants. I will probibly go after easter for some good deals. So far I have been really good at waiting until things are under $10.

I know for formal night I am actually going to get my DS who will be 18 months an infant tux. I know I can get one from BCF for only $20. He will look absoultly adorable and it will make such priceless pictures of him and his father in their tuxes.

I also know from talking to family/friends who cruise frequently and crew that though they say what they do about the dress code they REALLY appreciate the children who are dressed appropriately. You will find that many of the so to say stuffier (spell ?) cruisers who generally don't think cruises should allow children even warm up to you and make nice comments if you bring your children dressed up.

Just remember what ever you deside to have your children wear make sure you are comfortable that if it is not following the guildlines you very well might get some rude guests that give you dirty looks or make comments. It's not that I think this way I just say this becuase I have seen it happen and some people are just that way.

I figure I will use the cruises to help me reinforce the manners and etiquette I am teaching. What a great leraning tool for when they grow up and go to those types of dinners.

Katie:D

Boys attire on formal nights ranges from tuxes to suits to sport jackets to dress shirt and tie. Some will just wear polo shirts and khakis as well. For girls, Easter or Xmas type dresses are fine, as are dressy skirts and tops; some little girls do wear formal gowns that are more like flower girl dresses, while older girls often wear prom-type dresses.

For casual or informal nights sundresses are perfect for girls, polo shirts or button-up shirts with khakis are fine for boys. Shorts and t-shirts, IMO, aren't appropriate.

I personally don't like casual (rubber) flip-flops in the dining room, but there are some styles that would work--the leather, dressier, type, maybe with a small heel.

Here's a pictures of our grandsons on the Triumph two years ago. They were 13 & 5--dress shirts and ties--and 3--vest and tie. While I love tuxes and suits on little boys, I think they look cute this way too!

Don't stress too much about their other clothes--just whatever they wear in the summer at home is fine--especially bring several swim suits.

847491129_TaylorTatecruisepicture.jpg.bc7397ae09c5bd743b1ad079f6005e1d.jpg

1976425291_Laytononcruise.jpg.f129377277574fa76d9bb4b046e00c87.jpg

Archived