This may be a crazy idea...

mountainmare

We tend to pack light --except when we are cruising. Last year as we were lugging our three suicases through Barcelona before a cruise we decided that whenever we go to Europe we will pack light (we spent a week in Paris--and only used carry-ons).

So we are booked on another cruise out of Rome and can easily get away with one rolling garment back (even stuffed they come in at 32 pounds) each, plus the carryon.

Has anyone ever just taken their luggage right to the cabin?

I can see if you have lots of luggage it would be silly, but with one bag each I would be able to unpack right away and not have to wait for the luggage to come up in bits and pieces. I think the bags would fit through the screener thing, with no problem.

Just wondered if anyone ever did this.

Has anyone ever just taken their luggage right to the cabin?

On a short, five-day Celebrity cruise on the Zenith I did just that. My one duffle bag fit right through the X-ray scanner with no trouble and you're right ... it is very convenient not to have to wait for luggage to be delivered.

But most of my cruises tend to be longer ones and there is no way I could do that. On my upcoming Veendam cruise I will have one rolling duffle bag, one regular duffle bag, a large carry-on bag and a laptop computer. There is no way I could ever manage all that luggage while getting on the ship. It's much easier to just hand the two duffle bags over to a stevedore (with an accompanying tip, of course). :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

If you can pack that lightly, go for it! For us, no can do. Just formal wear in our carry-on would have to be packed so tightly that it would require pressing. (I leave them on a hangar in a dry cleaner's bag and they arrive onboard with nary a wrinkle.)

Maybe I could do a 7-day with no formal nite with just a carry-on. But I really have my doubts.

If you can fit all you need into the luggage you describe, go for it. I could never manage with so little.

As long as a bag will fit through the x-ray scanner, you will be permitted to bring it aboard with you.

mountainmare - we went to Italy for 3 weeks last fall with our checked luggage at 42 & 44 lbs - we were so proud! Saw some folks with only 1 carryon each - oh how I respected their skill! And you are doing great!

But just some info in case you decide to go "heavier" & this may not apply to you. The free checked luggage has been reduced to 1 bag at 50 lbs (44 with KLM) when flying within Europe. For our upcoming trip, the extra cost would be $250 per 20 lb checked bag. Exception - if you are flying internationally on the same airline that is used within Europe - 2 bags are allowed for free.

Happy travels :)

Thanks all!!!

If any of you have not discovered the joy of the garment bag, next time you need luggage give it a look. I bought one for DH. and yes--we do pack the tux and other duds--but everything I own is travelknit.

When I saw him just unzip his bag, open it and put his stuff (already on hangers) in the closet--while I sorted, unfolded and found hangers I was sold.

Ladies--your formal dresses and slacks do not get messed up and unpacking as well as packing is a breeze.

I know that it will just be a matter of time before everyone will be reduced to one 50 pound check-in bag, and really that is all you need, even on a 12-day.

Now on the return trip I have been known to expand my carry-on and check that because of the treasures I have found...but that is a different story!!!

moutainmare - do your extra shoes needed for a cruise fit in your garment bag?

do you hand wash in your cabin/hotel room or find a laundry or have the cruiseline do it for you?

after our 12 day TA, we are spending another 2 weeks in Europe - 26 days of clothes needed - yikes - but not the worse of problems to have! Only remedy we can come up with is to not pack for formal nites & eat at the buffet on those nites. Definitely don't want to haul fancy clothes & shoes around for 2 weeks in Europe. Checked into shipping 20 lbs of clothes home & it was $250 Fedex - same as extra checked 20 lb bag.

I would not give up formal nights. We were on the Millennium for 12 nights and I noticed that formal was the little black dress, or slinky slacks with nice tops.

Once I figured out how heavy shoes are I decoded that one nice pair of black strappy sandels was fine--for walking in Europe be sure to pack two really good pairs of walking shoes. Again, think light--look at Travel Smith or some similar place. I even took one pair of lightweight hiking-type boots because I knew we were going to hike down the mountain from Eze. These I wore on the plane.

We used the bag of laundry-type deal. You will probably use a local self-laundry during your two weeks. Check out Rick Steves books for locations.

For the formal clothes think about one pair of black travel knit pants and one or two nice tops--with a simple black top, some nice (inexpensive) jewerly and glam make-up you will be fine for formal nights. Your DH can rent a tux--or take along a dark jacket to pair with dark slacks.

What I do is start with one color (not always black) and start to mix and match. I do love travel knits and broomstick skirts because they are light and can scrunch and roll. If I cannot mix an item with at least two others it doen't get packed.

I'm not a kid--pushing 60 and I'm of average size, so I don't go with a too young look, but after years of over packing I'm a convert.

This winter we took a 10-day Caribbean, and because I was just doing the cruise I packed the "old way". Lesson learned--never again!!!

It isn't the clothes that is the total culprit with our lugging three bags between the two of us.

It's all the 'things'. The umbrellas, books, over the counter meds (and our Rx's), the mag lite, clothes steamer, sun lotion, aloe lotion, moisturizers, hair brushes, hats/visors, sneakers, beach bag/back pack, power strip, cameras, I-pod, tote bag, exercise gear, toilet articles, makeup.... We have half a suitcase of 'stuff'...... before we even start with the clothes.

One of our suitcases has ALWAYS been a soft sided garment bag. While it isn't on wheels, IMO the best garment bag I've ever seen is an old style by Lucas. It holds an incredible amount of clothes; the bag itself is very light weight, and wears like steel. I bought three when I found it many years ago and they have been work horses but are getting old and showing age. It will break my heart when I have to part with them.

I wish I could find a tailor/luggage repair shop who would sew me new ones from patterns made out of my old one. I agree that packing with the 'right' garment bag makes life a lot easier when traveling.

Sail--you made me smile when you talked about the "stuff"

I have fought for years with a husband who thinks he must lug along two or three hardback books just in case he needs to read them (because maybe the library will run out of books!) And true as time marches on the pile of meds in our carry-on has grown.

My true confession is that I must have my little thermos for coffee emergencies and....okay I'll come clean, my flamingo party lights and very tasteful flamingo windsock. Yep even in the Med we go pink.

But face it--if you only have three suitcases between you that's just one more than we have... I've seen people with alot more than that.

For us, as we get older, it is the weight issue. If I can't get my bag up and down stairs at home I start taking stuff out. As for DH and his books, they all go in his bag!!!!

Thanks for the tips. I think the garment bag sounds like a good idea. I need to look into those.

We did finally get rollie backpacks for carryon. Hate the look, but we use as backpacks while rolling our checked luggage & then can roll the back pack once we checkin the big bag. One person rolling 2 bags is too much for us anymore, as is lugging a carryon filled with travel docs, meds, books, etc.

Re: formal nites on this trip - I too thought about the tux, but there's still those heavy men's formal shoes; those things are really heavy!:(, & Dh would not rent shoes. Then there is my fancy stuff (even though chosen wisely weightwise). Our age has also limited us on how much we drag around Europe (& now the airlines in Europe have made that decision for us!). Even with 1st class air, we still have the problem of dragging the bags thru customs each time & when we can't find a porter - so # of bags & weight is an issue for our comfort as well as airline rules. Now if I can just get my DH to wear those thin/lite weight men's undershorts that dry fast after handwashing!:D Hope he doesn't see this post!

While we previously planned & wanted (I bought some new fancies for me!) to attend formal nites, giving up formal nites is not that big a deal for us. We have taken cruises without ever going to the dining room. That is another reason why we decided not to drag the extra clothes around - wait for the next cruise to/from U.S.

As you & Sail mentioned, our biggest problem with checked luggage weight is the non-clothing "stuff". I try & try to eliminate items, but the list is still long.....& heavy! I can give up the formal clothes, but not the books - tourist guides plus new long-awaited reading material for those pool & balcony times :) ! & then the RX drugs - Wow! Those keep multiplying overnite! But then it is better than the alternative! ;)

I've made an art of using just a small duffle and a garment bag. But I'm not a guy who's trying to win a fashion contract. A black jacket, differnt slacks, shirts and ties. Only black shoes. Pair of flip flops in the duffle along with shorts and tees and my laptop. Also bring an empty backpack for extra stuff to bring back. Gets you on the ship must faster and sometimes you are first off the ship if you dont have luggage.

I've only done this for 7 day cruises. We'll see how it works on my next 17 day cruise.

Archived