Adjoining rooms - Safe to have children in one room?

Jotul

Hi! New to this board. Looks like a great one. Anyway, my family and I are going to be on the Liberty of the Seas in June. I have a 7-year old and a 2 1/2 year old. By the time I booked, the only rooms I could get were two 2-person adjoining rooms.

Assuming we leave the adjoining doors open (not sure how to do that yet), do you think it's safe to leave the kids in one room and the adults in another for sleeping? It's a balcony room. I know my 7-year old wouldn't go out on the balcony by herself, but I do worry about my little guy.

Anyone have this situation before? How do you handle it, without being separated from your significant other every night?

Thanks!

Yes, this would be the only acceptable way for my family to stay in two separate rooms. And you won't have to worry about the balcony doors....they are tough enough for an adult to open let alone a child.

Just make sure that front cabin door is blocked or chained.

That is the only way we travel with our kids. The first cruise we took all three on they were 8, 4, and 6 months. When you get on board you have to ask the cabin steward to unlock the doors for you, there was a key they had to use to open them. From that point on they stayed open all the time. On the Celebrity Zenith we used one of the chairs to prop them open as it got a little rocky. One of the cruises there was a balcony and they were still very young at that time. We never used it. It was hard for them to open and we kept the chair and table in front of it so they would not have interest. They knew they could only go out on our balcony with us.

Good luck and it is a great way to travel as you get a bit of quiet time and two bathrooms!!!!

I'm pretty sure that according to the cruise line's rules, children are not allowed to be in a cabin by themselves. There must be an adult staying in each room with the child.

I know that it might not be the ideal situation for a "romantic' vacation, but just imagine that your child did get up in the middle of the night and something awful happened. You would never be able to live with yourself.

I have a 9 and 11 year old and wouldn't even let them stay in an adjoining room by themsleves.

Maybe you could put the little ones down in the adjoining room leaving the door open, enjoy a little private time with your partner....then move one of the kids while they're sleeping so that an adult is sharing the room with each child.

You just never know what kids are capable of...

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure that according to the cruise line's rules, children are not allowed to be in a cabin by themselves. There must be an adult staying in each room with the child.

I know that it might not be the ideal situation for a "romantic' vacation, but just imagine that your child did get up in the middle of the night and something awful happened. You would never be able to live with yourself.

I have a 9 and 11 year old and wouldn't even let them stay in an adjoining room by themsleves.

Maybe you could put the little ones down in the adjoining room leaving the door open, enjoy a little private time with your partner....then move one of the kids while they're sleeping so that an adult is sharing the room with each child.

You just never know what kids are capable of...

Good luck!

Cruiselines will be the first to tell you that you CAN leave the children in a connecting room but you have to book it to appear that one adult is in each room. I'm sure it is a liability issue.

That being said, I've had connecting rooms with friends (we just let the doors open the entire week) and I can tell you that not much goes on in the next room without the other room hearing it. It's like being in the kitchen while your child is in the living room. And it's not like the child is locked in a room down the hall.

Now, have I done it with my family....nope cause I just book a room big enough for all of us. But that's not to say that it shouldn't be done.

I don't know how it is on the Liberty, but on the NCL Dawn there was only a swing-latch that kept the room door locked.

My 4 year old reached up, opened it, and left the room while I was getting dressed. (Good thing I was right there in the same room so I could catch him.)

Since you already had to book the adjoining rooms , it might not be a bad idea to sleep with one parent in each room. Little kids can do big mischief...;)

RCI WILL let you book your kids in a cabin by themselves. They need to be in a connecting, or ajoining or close by. We booked a balcony cabin for DH and myself and a promonade cabin directly across the hall, our boys were 17 and 8 at the time and we had no problems at all.We did have a baby monitor we brought along so we can hear what the kids are doing. Other than sleeping they were mostly out on our balcony or doing things with us on the ship.

Since you have a door between you and your kids then you can leave the door open while your all in your cabins. I would make sure the doors are all secure each evening. It's not like your leaving your child alone, it's like haveing a 2 room suite. Take along a baby monitor, it worked great for us.

Have a fun cruise with your kids.

Bev

There's an issue here that may be a problem and that's the term CONNECTING vs ADJOINING. If the poster has adjoining cabins, there is NO interior door for those cabins, only the regular hallway door. If the have connecting cabins, there is an interior door between the cabins. If the OP has adjoining cabins, there's absolutely no way I would allow children that young to be alone in a cabin. But, if their cabins are connecting, there's nothing wrong with that. The OP needs to verify, without a shadow of a doubt, that there cabins are truly connecting, and not just cabins that are just next door to each other.

If you're worried about the doors being opened, you could bring along one of those alarms that sounds if a door is opened. It's good for little kids and I suppose it could be used for teens people don't want sneaking out at 2am!

http://www.mypreciouskid.com/wireless-door-alarm.html

We have connecting rooms booked on the Conquest and I'd be comfortable with the kids in it because it doesn't have a balcony and like cruisinmama06 above said, it's as though the kids are in the living room while I'm in the kitchen. If we latch the door from the inside, no one can wander in, and they won't wander out.

I know on this cruise we just took, there was a family who had 4 kids in the inside room across the hall and relied on a baby monitor in the room to keep in contact. That's an option, but I don't think I would be comfortable with it all night. LOL maybe for an hour of 'privacy' before my husband heads across the hall to spend the night.

In my opinion, since there is patio furniture on the balcony that a small, curious child could easily stand on to look over the edge, I'd never leave the kids unattended in a balcony room. I live in Arizona and it's beaten into our heads not to leave patio furniture by the pool fence because kids could climb over and drown in the pool. For this reason, it seems way too scary to me to have a chair right next to the rail with a 70 foot drop to the ocean on the other side.

My 4 year old isn't a bad kid, but he's very curious and a big time climber. I put the fear of God into him about the rails on his first cruise, so I'm hoping he'd never try to stand on something to peek over, but I know me...I wouldn't be sleeping worrying about it. When someone yelled that they saw dolphins in the water my 4 year old ran for the rail and gave me a heartattack. He loves animals, and the announcement excited him to the point that he wasn't thinking. He took off to see the dolphin, slipped, fell and slid towards the rail in 2 seconds before I even had time to react. It's like kids knowing they shouldn't run into the street, but when their ball rolls into the street, sometimes they instinctually chase it without realizing the danger.

I don't mean to be a downer about the balcony thing, I'm a mom, teacher, and paranoid, so I can't help it :D

The rooms are most definitely connecting. Sorry about the word misusage. I'm going to make the decision once we get on board - that's really the only way I'll know what makes me feel most comfortable. I do think that having them fall asleep together, then moving one of them (likely my daughter - she's the heavier sleeper) might make the most sense.

Thanks for all the thoughts! It's been helpful in realizing I can't, in good conscience, make the decision now. :)

DH and I are taking the kids(4 and 2) for the first time this summer. We are all staying in one room with a balcony. Even though the doors may be heavy, it still worries me if DS or DD wakes up and tries to get out, I don't know that they would, but all sorts of irrational things have been going through my head since we booked :-). We've thought about bring bells or something for the doors.

RCI WILL let you book your kids in a cabin by themselves. They need to be in a connecting, or ajoining or close by. We booked a balcony cabin for DH and myself and a promonade cabin directly across the hall, our boys were 17 and 8 at the time and we had no problems at all.We did have a baby monitor we brought along so we can hear what the kids are doing. Other than sleeping they were mostly out on our balcony or doing things with us on the ship.

Since you have a door between you and your kids then you can leave the door open while your all in your cabins. I would make sure the doors are all secure each evening. It's not like your leaving your child alone, it's like haveing a 2 room suite. Take along a baby monitor, it worked great for us.

Have a fun cruise with your kids.

Bev

Thanks so much for the monitor idea, we are booked for a balcony with our boys 13 and 9 across the hall.

Archived