Mendenhal Glacier in Late May

OldCodger73

Winter of 2006 is currently in 3rd place for highest seasonal (Sep 1 - May 31) snowfall with 183.2 inches at the airport. That trails the record 194.3 in 1964 and 183.6 in 1975. And I believe it's snowing today.

Now I don't know if it's usually a bog or not, but if it was ever going to be one the end of May, I'd say this would be a prime year for it.

Winter of 2006 is currently in 3rd place for highest seasonal (Sep 1 - May 31) snowfall with 183.2 inches at the airport. That trails the record 194.3 in 1964 and 183.6 in 1975. And I believe it's snowing today.

Now I don't know if it's usually a bog or not, but if it was ever going to be one the end of May, I'd say this would be a prime year for it.

So much for global warming huh? I am jealous. We received very little snow this winter in central MN, most of it coming the last weekend of February and the first weekend of March (8-10" each weekend) - - and now it is almost all melted.

i wouldn't worry about it until about a week out. then come back and ask yukon if the weather has cleared up:D . i would think that just some good walking shoes, maybe water-proof too keep the feet dry/warm.

i had some good BASS shoes, leather uppers, gripping soles, waterproof for last sept. glad i had them, it did rain for us. sprayed DH's merrells with waterproofing, worked great.

i started checking the weather reports about 2 weeks out, since it showed a rain pattern..i went prepared. but since the weather changes quickly and a lot, i wouldn't worry before that.

1 hint, good socks...even though it may not be that cold, the ground will still be damp. the visitor's center has a phone number, closer to your trip you could call?

Archived