Copies of Passports?

MemawB.

First time cruiser coming up in May here and have been reading all the boards I can to insure a safe and hassle free first time cruise. So much information to disgest. I read the boards every day to read what other cruisers have to say about any an all topics. One topic about passports has me a little perplexed though. The debate on whether to take your passport with you off the ship when going into ports leaves me with a small question. Many on here say that they take copies of their passports with them and leave the originals back on board. What do you mean by copies of them? Just copies of the passport that are made on a copy machine on a piece of paper or is there some other method? Would like to know in case we would like to do this also. Although, if we don't receive our passports in time this may be a moot point to even ask. Ha!.Thanks for any and all information. I love reading these boards and have learned sooo much from them.

Yes, just any regular color copier.

One other suggestion-Scan a copy of your passport/DL/cc/any info you may need into your computer. Then send it email to yourself at a little used email address-hotmail, yahoo, or just one of the ones available from your regular email IF your regular email allows access from ANY computer worldwide.

Then if you loose your passport or anything else, you can pull up your own email and print it out.

Guess I do things a little differently then some but I never leave the ship without my passport and don't worry about losing it any more than I would about my wallet, money, ship boarding pass, drivers license (or other photo ID) ect. A traffic accident, or sudden sickness could land anyone in a local hospital and if the ship sails without me on it, I'd want my passport with me. I did travel quite a bit internationally on business prior to retiring and my passport was always on my person so I guess I'm used to carrying it. If anything happens, it's the best form of identification you can have in a foreign country. Just my opinion.........

Tanker4

We are traveling in April and have been told to take a color copy of our passports off the ship with us. I'm going to Kinko's to get a good qualilty copy done.:p

Magnoliablelle,

FYI FedEx Kinko's won't make a color copy of your passport. I work for FedEx Kinko'a an only b/w copies of passports are allowed. This is all I am going to say because last time I tried to tell someone that they couldn't make color copies of gov docs including passports I got slammed and told I was wrong, So I am just going to keep my mouth shut other than this post.

NavySis

Magnoliablelle,

FYI FedEx Kinko's won't make a color copy of your passport. I work for FedEx Kinko'a an only b/w copies of passports are allowed. This is all I am going to say because last time I tried to tell someone that they couldn't make color copies of gov docs including passports I got slammed and told I was wrong, So I am just going to keep my mouth shut other than this post.

NavySis

I tried to tell people the same thing and I got slammed too!

You can personally make the color copies yourself at home using your scanner and color printer, but no retail establishment is allowed to make color copies of government issued documents. It is against the law.

I tried to tell people the same thing and I got slammed too!

You can personally make the color copies yourself at home using your scanner and color printer, but no retail establishment is allowed to make color copies of government issued documents. It is against the law.

I am gald I am not the only one that got slammed about this. I can't believe that some people are so rude on these boards. I guess some people think the law doesn't apply to them. I have had people get mad at me at work because I can't copy or scan their passports. I still won't do it and my manager will back me up on copyright issues.

NavySis

Thanks everyone for your info on this subject. Will take everyones comments into consideration. It is true that some people come across VERY rude on here but I am going on my first cruise ever and am excited about going so I read all information (rude and informative) and plan on having a wonderful time. Thanks for all the information. MemawB.

Thanks everyone for your info on this subject. Will take everyones comments into consideration. It is true that some people come across VERY rude on here but I am going on my first cruise ever and am excited about going so I read all information (rude and informative) and plan on having a wonderful time. Thanks for all the information. MemawB.

Not a problem, thats what these boards are for. I came here last year before my first cruise. You will have a great time. I wasn't even onboard for 24hrs and I was hooked. I can't wait for my next one on Oct.

NavySis

Guess I do things a little differently then some but I never leave the ship without my passport and don't worry about losing it any more than I would about my wallet, money, ship boarding pass, drivers license (or other photo ID) ect. A traffic accident, or sudden sickness could land anyone in a local hospital and if the ship sails without me on it, I'd want my passport with me. I did travel quite a bit internationally on business prior to retiring and my passport was always on my person so I guess I'm used to carrying it. If anything happens, it's the best form of identification you can have in a foreign country. Just my opinion.........

Tanker4

"Never Say Never" ;)

When cruising in Europe, some ships hold your passports. Same goes for hotels in many places in Europe. The hotel holds your passport until you check out.

"Never Say Never" ;)

When cruising in Europe, some ships hold your passports. Same goes for hotels in many places in Europe. The hotel holds your passport until you check out.

Only cruising I've ever done in Europe was on A US Navy submarine and didn't have a passport back in those days...........

Happy Cruising!

Tanker4

Only cruising I've ever done in Europe was on A US Navy submarine and didn't have a passport back in those days...........

Happy Cruising!

Tanker4

Tanker4,

Just how OLD are you :D ? My dear Father had a passport in 1937!

We leave our passports in the cabin safe and carry a copy (made at home). So far, so good.

Quick question. So if something happened to you while in port and the ship left without you, would you be able to get back into the United States with only a copy of your passport? Just curious!

Thanks,

Tim:cool:

Tanker4,

Just how OLD are you :D ? My dear Father had a passport in 1937!

We leave our passports in the cabin safe and carry a copy (made at home). So far, so good.

Hi Plant,

I'm 65 years old. Was in the Navy in the early 60's and at that time they used a military ID card. Got my first passport in the mid 70's and just sent it in last month for a 4th renewal.

Tanker4

Quick question. So if something happened to you while in port and the ship left without you, would you be able to get back into the United States with only a copy of your passport? Just curious!

Thanks,

Tim:cool:

I've heard that the answer to your question is yes, you would be able to get back into the US with only a copy of your passport but it would entail extra screening by customs.

Tanker4

This is from the US gov't website:

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card?

Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

Thanks for the explanation Tanker4, I thought you might be 110 :D !

Thanks NavySis & MickiDee for your info. I already had B/W copies made from our home copier and was dreading another stop (Kinko's) on my weekend errands. Knowing that color copies are a no-no, that is one less stop for me to make. Thanks again. Darla

I read somewhere on the boards here that your passport copies should be notorized and embossed. I was looking for it when I came across this post. Has anyone else found this to be necessary? I'm another first time cruiser trying to do it right the first time.

~Denise~

Archived