Just got back from the Spirit. Any questions?

MiamiSky66

WE will be sailing the Spirit in December to the Mexican Riviera. I would love to hear more and see some pictures of the ship if you dont mind. Where did you go? Did you take any kids? What did you enjoy the most? What to avoid exploring?

Hope to hear from you soon!

WE will be sailing the Spirit in December to the Mexican Riviera. I would love to hear more and see some pictures of the ship if you dont mind. Where did you go? Did you take any kids? What did you enjoy the most? What to avoid exploring?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Same goes for us only we are sailing 1/9/08. Would like all the same info the previous poster asked for. How was the food? Rooms? Slide open and working? What to do and not do while ashore. Thanks in advance. Hope your trip was awesome!

I was on the Spirit from March 7-15. Will be glad to answer any questions.

Hi, Exodus:

We sailed on the Spirit in 2001--her inaugural season--and then again in 2002. In 2002 we noticed that the shine had definitely worn off. We're sailing her again this year and just wondering what kind of shape she's in. Is she showing a lot of wear and tear?

Thanks!

Jayne

:)

As far as whales go. I saw only one. The excursions I do on my own, because I have been to Acapulco and Ixtapa in December on Norwegian Star. We took a bus around the city in Acapulco. Stopped at Walmart and bought whatever we forgot. In Ixtapa we went horseback riding along the beach and that was a lot of fun. $20.00 for one hour per person. I was concerned about the recent crime in Acapulco. I felt really safe and no need to worry. It was an isolated incident that happened. This was the surprise. Everyone wrote that Manzanillo was nothing. I thought that it was the best stop of all. I guess most people see the ugly port we stopped at and then just go downtown to the stores and back. We took a tour, private of course, three couples, that was great. I will give the name at the end of this writing. I need to look it up. The Las Hadas Hotel area where they filmed the movie "10" with Bo Derek is breathtaking. The tour guide told us that you can walk 2-3 in the morning and no one will bother you.

The ship was beautiful. there was no visible wear and tear to me. We had an extended balcony that was just unbelievable. First time in a balcony room. The rooms were also the biggest ones I have ever seen on a ship. I have been on 7 cruises in the last two years and three months. These rooms were the nicest. My friends had an inside cabin on the 7th floor and they loved the room. Also big. Bathroom, nice size but not enormous. They never are.

The food was very good also. I loved it, but it also depends on what you are expecting. The buffet was also very good. The dining room is beautiful. Outside by the ice cream machine there is a hot chocolate machine. Take a glass of hot chocolate and fill it with vanilla ice cream and I promise you it's delicious. I used to be in the ice cream business and a hot chocolate float is the best. Your advantage is as the ice cream is melting just keep adding to it.

Some of the shows were a little on the weak side but ok. They last an hour, so it's easy to sit there.

All in all the ship is a winner and I loved it.

Getting on the ship was a breeze. Getting off was very easy also. If you have time for a flight there is no reason to carry your bags off by yourselves. It went very fast. Everyone was off by 10:30 AM.

We didn't bring children on the ship but it looked like camp carvival had only about 10 kids. I guess most people are waiting for Easter to travel.

Here is where I have to disagree with most. The supper club was very good. The food was good and the service was outstanding. By the time the main meal came, lobster for me, I was so full. The cost with a 20% tip was $72.00. I went on formal night because I was already dressed up and missed the lobster in the dining room that I heard was very good also. Now, I had an onboard credit and feel that the supper club was free anyway. But still, if one was on a 700.00 5 day cruise for two, they are paying 10% to eat there and I really can't feel it was worth the money. Again, it's what you are looking for. Remember, this is a surcharge above your free dinner that's coming to you. I guess if you don't look at it from a service charge point of view you will then love it.

Any other questions feel free to write. I will write the tour guide below after looking it up.

Hope I helped a little.

Hi, Exodus:

We sailed on the Spirit in 2001--her inaugural season--and then again in 2002. In 2002 we noticed that the shine had definitely worn off. We're sailing her again this year and just wondering what kind of shape she's in. Is she showing a lot of wear and tear?

Thanks!

Jayne

Jayne,

No need to worry about the Spirit! She was in dry dock last year, February, I believe. I was on her in May of last year and she is beautiful and wear and tear free!

Jayne,

No need to worry about the Spirit! She was in dry dock last year, February, I believe. I was on her in May of last year and she is beautiful and wear and tear free!

I'm so happy to hear that. We were so sad when we sailed the Spirit the second time and the first time we got on an elevator we saw that someone had carved their name into the door. :mad:

Oh yah Jayne...I am jealous that you are going to Alaska! I loved it there!

We're thrilled to be going back! I can't believe it's taken us six years (to the day!) to do another Alaska cruise.

Counting down the days...

Jayne

I am considering Spirit for an Alaskan northbound cruise this May. Having cruised with Celebrity Galaxy on two prior Alaskan cruises, we had a terrific view from the Stratosphere Lounge. I can't seem to find a viewing area comparable to what we had on Galaxy. The Spirit seems to have only Spa and exercise areas forward. I'd be appreciative of your observations. Thank You!

Exodus

We are on the Spirit this Friday. Just wondering what the weather was like on your sea days. Having sailed out of CA twice before I realize it can be cool. Just wondering, were you able to sit out by the pool comfortably or was it too cool? Two years ago on the Pride at the end of May it was too cold and windy and sometimes rainy to be out.

Thank you for all of the information

For the horseback riding did you book the excursion from the ship or did you book it independently. My daughters (16&17) want to horseback ride in Xtapa (sp?). I would like to know if I need to book from the ship or will I be able to find it cheaper when we get there??? I also want to know of a great hotel that we can hang out at and enjoy the beach in Acupulco. Hey anything else we should expect???

Our last cruise was Western Carribean on the Liberty will I find any huge differences between these two??? OR does it just apply to a trained eye like the Captain?

The Las Hadas Hotel area where they filmed the movie "10" with Bo Derek is breathtaking.

Did you actually visit Las Hadas or did you just see it during your tour? I'm curious as to what the entry fee is and what's included.

Thanks!

For horseback riding you can write to:

jellybean107_2000@yahoo.com.ca

Her name is Elisabeth and she will arrange it for you. It was in Ziu.

The taxi should not cost more than $10..00 each way. We gave him 10.00 going and 20.00 going back to the ship because he waited for us. When they ask for more money just keep walking. They will come down in price.

Did you actually visit Las Hadas or did you just see it during your tour? I'm curious as to what the entry fee is and what's included.

Thanks!

http://www.gomanzanillo.com/beaches/more.htm

Audiencia Beach is the beach where "10" was filmed. This is where my husband and I wound up going when we sailed the Spirit in December of 2005. Manzanillo was our favorite port on that cruise. It was a pleasant taxi ride from the town square to Las Audiencia...and once there we ate at the little seafood restaurant (more of a snack bar, really) and then hired one of the small boats to take us (and two other people) out snorkeling. We went to all the same places that the ship's snorkel excursion went to, at at least half the price. It was EXCELLENT snorkeling -- lots of marine life.

If you are specifically interested in Las Hadas, it is mentioned on the same website I've linked to above, just a couple of paragraphs down.

Archived