Hallway noise, 7079 Insignia

tak2

I read somewhere that there's a service exit across from 7081, and laundry door across from 7076. Does that apply to Insignia? Just wondering if all 3 ships share the exact service door configuration, in case laundry door opens different ways on different ships.

Being a light sleeper, I would like to avoid noise in hallway as much as possible , and yet stay midship( hopefully not having to go to A1 to achieve this) In the event that A1 is the best in terms of lowest noise level, which cabins should I pick? Thanks for your suggestion.

We were directly across from the aft service area on our last cruise and I never heard a peep. Did get surprised a time or two when we both opened the doors at the same time.

Kudos to a considerate crew. That's not always the case on other cruiselines. Many of them said hello to me from 50 ft away when they saw me ( which was very nice of them but I worried about passengers who might still be asleep)

Tak2,

We are in cabin 7076, on an upcoming cruise. We are light sleepers, too. I have heard other people say that it was a quiet cabin, even though it is across the hall from the laundry. One way to look at it, is it will be convenient to throw in a load of clothes.

We were in 7078, almost across from the laundry room, for 25 nights -- never heard a sound unless we opened the door. This despite the fact that the laundry room has a TV, there are always conversations, and sometimes the conversations spill to the hallway -- not one sound ever made it to our cabin. We were so pleased, we have booked the same cabin again for our April, 08 35 day cruise. It's really nice to be able to peek out the cabin door and see if the laundry is available.

By the way, we saw so many acquaintances in the laundry room as we passed going to our cabin, we sometimes stopped and joined in the conversations. Sort of like meeting around the cracker barrel in the general store, or at the barbershop...

By the way, we saw so many acquaintances in the laundry room as we passed going to our cabin, we sometimes stopped and joined in the conversations. Sort of like meeting around the cracker barrel in the general store, or at the barbershop...

That's another benefit of a smaller ship, the friendship that can be built up.

Thank you all for your comments. Surprisingly, within two hours of my starting the thread, my TA e-mailed me to answer my question. I didn't think of asking her as yesterday was Saturday, and with the convenience and camaraderie of fellow CC members, I thought I would get answers before I can contact her on Monday. She takes an interest in reading these boards.

We had a thread on this subject a few months ago, and I can also verify that the laundry room noise is not an issue on the Insignia (we were on that ship last September). The door is HEAVY and remained closed while the laundry room was open. The laundry room closed at 10:00 p.m. And as others said, it's a fun place to visit while you are doing your laundry but not a noisy area (we were just a few doors away and didn't hear anything at all).

Have a great cruise,

Donna

We were in 7078, almost across from the laundry room, for 25 nights -- never heard a sound unless we opened the door.

Hi Don & Betsy, did you feel that 7078 was a better choice than one of the cabins on deck 7 that has the lifeboats directly below? I am trying to choose a cabin mid-ship, but wonder if I should avoid the area directly above lifeboats.

Thanks,

Susan, we were almost on top of the lifeboats -- pictures are more telling than words. In the first, if you look clearly, you'll see Betsy in the yellow shirt and silly blue hat, on our balcony, cabin 7078. The cabins directly above the lifeboat are A1 category. The cabin to Betsy's right is 7076, the first of the A2 category. In the second, the tender is being raised into place. In the last picture, the tender has almost disappeared into its docking spot.

lifeboat1.jpglifeboat2.jpglifeboat3.jpg

The point is, you won't notice the lifeboats below you, no matter where you are. The ship does use them as tenders, so there will be activity in the ports where you are tendered, but I was not able to hear the operation unless I was on the balcony.

Now, Betsy and I are famous misers who spend freely, up to our priorities. The concierge cabins are more than twice as large as our RV, so we would not spend any extra for a PH suite. We also would not spend the extra couple of hundred dollars to be in the center. On the other hand, 7078 is an A2 only one away from the A1 cabins. It's close enough to center to mitigate the motion of the ship. We would not want to be in the A3 cabins (or even in an owners or vista suite, for any amount of money) when the seas are rough. The fridge is a priority for me, so we are willing to spend up for the concierge level. My friends think I'm nuts, but there actually is a method to my madness, even if it fits no one but me.

If your priority list includes the center of the ship, don't let the lifeboats stop you. In my opinion, they are a non-issue.

Hi Don ....many thanks for the great detail and photos - your response has been very helpful! I had a laugh at your comment, "Now, Betsy and I are famous misers who spend freely, up to our priorities. .... it pretty much describes my DH and me :)

Don,

My thanks too for the photos! DH and I have been looking at Stateroom 6048 which is B1 balcony closest to the tender for 2 Apr 2008 Regatta, Barcelona-Rome.

So your photo gives me a really good idea of location. I will now go back and see if/how many of our ports use the tenders before making a final stateroom decision.

Archived