Advice Please

This is my family's first cruise and I want everything to go just right. Any advice you can give would be of great help. We are on the Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean leaving May 6th.

1. Name of ground transport from Orlando airport that is resonable.

2. Advice on shore excursions book through RC or wait till we get to port and wing it ourselves. Traveling with our child who is seven so what is the safest bet.

3. Is cabin 9651 in a good location.

4. Upgrades what are the secret

Anything you can add to help the newbie's would be a great help:confused: :confused: :confused:

will LOVE it! I did a few tours with Sonny Liston and just loved him. Not sure what islands you are going to - but google sonny liston and see if he offers anything on your stops. The one BIG plus with doing a RCI tour is if you have to be off the ship early they will get you off in time and if your tour is running late they will wait for you (at least that is what I have heard.)

Have fun!

In an attempt to answer your questions, the best most reliable ground transport from Orlando is a rental car. The drive is about 4-5 hours and should cost you about $50. We have done this before, when a flight was cancelled from Orlando to Miami on the day of the cruise. We just rented a car and made it an adventure.

The other questions I'll leave for others to answer.

You can by a transportation voucher through RCCL for not too much moeny. They will take you straight to the ship. You can do the same for the trip back to the airport. (I think...maybe that is only for MCO)

You can always type in shore excursion and whatever the name of the port is into a search engine and get excursions that way also. They are usually alot less $ than through RCI. I would definitely book the excursion before leaving so as to make sure it is not sold out. You and your child will love the Mariner. It is my familys' favorite ship, my boys are younger than your child, but there is so much for kids and adults alike to do. As far as upgrades, that is a crap shoot. I have yet to be upgraded. We always book the category we want and have never expected an upgrade, when and if we ever get one we will be elated I am sure! Can't answer about transportation, I live just over an hour from port so it has never been an issue. Enjoy the Mariner, she really is wonderful!!

We used Art's Shuttle out of Orlando to Port Canveral. It was $90.00 and the driver was downstairs in baggage claim waiting for us when we arrived. They also come highly recommended here on East Coast Departures board.

I think booking the tours through RCI is more expensive, but there are a few benefits as well. As mentioned earlier, you get priority for getting off the ship on early excursions. This helped us in Grand Cayman when we had an early excursion and had a separate tender just for RCI booked excursions. Avoided a long line and wait that everyone else had. We also missed our second excursion in Cozumel because our first excursion (beach snorkel) ran about 45 minutes late due to a strong current and some guests had a lot of trouble swimming in it. Would have been out $90, but all we did was tell the excursions desk what happened and the gladly refunded us the money.

The drive from Orlando airport to The Mariner is about 45 minutes or so.

A PP was correct that The mariner leaves out of Port Canaveral not Miami.

We took the bus that RCI offered, because I booked travel through them I received the shuttle bus for free. It was okay...it was a bus, it was a 45 minute trip, it was ok. IMO, a taxi might be a hefty chunk of money for an hour long trip.

The best thing to do really would be to fly in a day earlier and then stay near Port Canaveral so you are close to the ship in the morning. Many people on my cruise used Art's shuttle (I think that was the name of the company)...the Real Tini's group that is. Maybe you can also check into limo service, sometimes you can get them for a pretty inexpensive price but a more comfortable ride.

We did the Eastern route so I can't help you on excursions but my DH and I had a blast exploring the islands on our own. You are going to LOVE the Mariner....I can't wait to go back!!!! Just don't get excited waiting for the elevators, they can be super slow...we took the stairs most of the time (probably better for our waistlines anyway)

We stayed in 8596 (or thereabouts) which is in the same general area as your cabin only on deck 8 (we were just before the hump, you are just after the hump). I thought deck 8 was convenient, next to the internet cafe and only 2/3 floors down from the buffet/pool area. It was also close to our dining room which (as I recall) was on deck 5. You will just have a little farther down to walk than us. Just be aware that the cabins are small....as a first time cruiser you may be shocked at the size (we were) but try to keep an open mind, by the end of the cruise we didn't even notice it.

The only thing I would do is upgrade to a balcony if possible...we loved our balcony. But that is all a matter of personal preference.

Don't forget to get to the bow (but be careful). Go to deck 4 all the way forward, go outside and then up the metal stairs, you will see the benches and the helipad there. It is so nice to ride in the front of the ship for a bit.

Mariner is one of the best ships RCI has. You can rent a car, or I am going to enclose a site that has a lot of different ways to get my the airport to the pier other than using RCI transports. Some have websites.

If you go to the ports of call board, you will get a lot of info about private shore excursions. If I were not an experienced traveler, I think I would probably spend the money to go with the ship's excursions. That way, you know if you are late the ship will wait for you.

If you feel more comfortable booking your own, then please do so. In Cozumel, as an example, Paradise Beach is not an expensive day and I'm sure you all would enjoy it.

Enjoy your cruise.

http://www.portcanaveral.org/portinfo/groundtrans.htm

katie

Upgrades--don't count on it! Book the type of cabin you will be happy with--IF you get upgraded--great!!!! But chances are you won't and at least you'll be happy with what you paid for!!!

Get the absolute LARGEST room you can afford--it DOES make a difference! It's a vacation--be comfortable!!!

Let you child experience Adventure Ocean club--that will give you parents some "alone" time!!!! (Every cruiser needs "alone" time!)

We enjoyed the Mariner Western Caribbean cruise so much the first time we went that we went again in October. :D

As previous posters have mentioned, it's about a 45 minute drive from MCO to Port Canaveral. A taxi would cost a fortune.... The least expensive method would be to rent a car at MCO and drop it off at Port Canaveral. We've always rent from Budget, www.budget.com, their website allows you to reserve one way rentals and their office is just a couple of miles from the Port. They have a shuttle that will take you there after you drop off the car. There are usually coupons at this site: www.mousesavers.com

Labadee is always a beach day for us... it is a beautiful spot. It's fun to walk around and explore a bit. Make sure to walk up to Dragon's Breath Rock.

Grand Cayman: Snorkeling with the stingrays is a must do! We used Capt Marvin www.captainmarvins.com for an excursion in October and they did a great job. I've also heard good things about Nativeway.

Ocho Rios... I would recommend that you either book something through the ship there or prebook through an independent referral.

Cozumel: There are a ton of options... You should spend sometime over at the Port of Call area to get an idea of what interests you.

Here are some pictures from our first cruise on Mariner...

Have a great time! :)

Archived