sub or semi-sub

karen of PA

My family is interested in doing either the Atlantis submarine trip or the Sea World Semi-sub explorer. Has anyone been on either one or both to give me a comparison? The submarine is more expensive but if it is worth it, then I will glady pay the difference.

Thanks,

karen of pa

I did the Atlantis Submarine tour in Aruba. I would rather do this one than the Semi sub. If my mind serves me correct, I beleive the semi sub is just 6ft under water and never fully submerges. On the Atlantis, we fully submerged down to 100 ft. It was a good experience. Being that I am a scuba diver, I dont think I would do the sub tour again. I would much rather be in the water myself than in a sub. But for someone that has never seen the underwater world in person, the Atlantis Sub tour would be the way to go.

The tours run every hour. However, I contacted them to try to get in early, but they reserve the morning departures for the cruise sponsored tours. The company has a toll free number that you can access on their website http://www.atlantisadventures.com . I would recommend that you call them to check on which morning times, if any, are available. I did that and then booked online to get the discounted prices. All you have to do is put your departure request in the space where they ask you how they can reach you locally. They will send you an email confirmation within two days. If you book online you can save a significant amount of money.

The tours run every hour. However, I contacted them to try to get in early, but they reserve the morning departures for the cruise sponsored tours. The company has a toll free number that you can access on their website www.atlantisadventures.com . I would recommend that you call them to check on which morning times, if any, are available. I did that and then booked online to get the discounted prices. All you have to do is put your departure request in the space where they ask you how they can reach you locally. They will send you an email confirmation within two days. If you book online you can save a significant amount of money.

I booked this tour (the semi-sub) online and they booked us for 1:00 local. Our ship leaves at 5:00 ship time. Will we have time for this tour? Also how far is it from the dock to Atlantis? Is it within walking distance?

Thanks.

Has anyone booked this submarine through Carnival? Seems like the price on line through the company directly is $ 79.00 pp. If Carnival gets the morning time slots, it mighht be a better option, depending on the price.

Anyone know?

My family is interested in doing either the Atlantis submarine trip or the Sea World Semi-sub explorer. Has anyone been on either one or both to give me a comparison? The submarine is more expensive but if it is worth it, then I will glady pay the difference.

Thanks,

karen of pa

Hi Karen,

I have the same concern...which one is better for viewing the fish or the life in the sea.

I did a tour in the "Semi -sub" in Aruba few years ago and there was a lot of fish to see.....I also did the "Atlantis" submarine in St. Thomas and it was OK.....but not as much to see.

I know that each port or 'place' is diffrent and Grand Cayman might offer a lot more to see than other places.

I and my family will be in Cozumel and Grand Cayman on the EOS at the end of April and I would like to try the 'Sub' or 'semi-sub' but can not decide which one. I tried to read as many posts as I could find (did the search) and still did not find anything conclusive. Some people 'say' the deeper you are the less fish will be there, some say the color changes as you go deeper, some say the Atlantis is the best way to see the sea life in Grand Cayman........I wish more people could respond and give us some good 'directions'. I am also concern about the possibility of missing Grand Cayman if the seas are rough......would I loose my deposit if I booked on my own ?

Also, should I try to do the sub or semi-sub in Conzumel......less of a chance to miss the port......but is the underwater reef as pretty as in Grand Cayman ( after Wilma did the damage ).

I would appreciate some guidance....thank you.

Wes

I took my 11 year-old on the Semi sub tour last August and loved it! Although we were only submerged 6ft in the water, we were able to see three different shipwrecks, coral reef, a multitude of fish varieties and an actual Atlantis diver outside the sub feeding the sea life. We originally booked the tour through Princess but cancelled once we found we could book direct through Viator. We saved 1/2 off the child's price but the adult price was only a bit cheaper than on the ship.

The Atlantis sub shop is walking distance from the pier and because we arrived an hour early, they were able to push our time up and we took the tour much earlier. We never had to worry about getting back to the ship in time because it was in plain site in the harbor the whole time.

Archived