Voltage on Spirit-- I'm confused

Surfgirl

I was planning on bringing the hairdryer and curling iron that I bought and often use in England onto the Spirit. However, I looked at the voltage and the hairdryer says 230 and the curling iron says 240. Are those too high?

Also, the prongs look like this (can't get the bottom one in the right position, but it's in the middle of the top two

- -

|

Is this the right kind of plug?

:D

I was planning on bringing the hairdryer and curling iron that I bought and often use in England onto the Spirit. However, I looked at the voltage and the hairdryer says 230 and the curling iron says 240. Are those too high?

Also, the prongs look like this (can't get the bottom one in the right position, but it's in the middle of the top two

- -

|

Is this the right kind of plug?

:D

There are eight international outlets throughout the world. Here is a webpage that should be informative.

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/

The Spirit has one 110 Volt outlet and one 220 Volt outlet in each cabin. All of your American electronics will operate on the American outlet except maybe your hair dryer. If you are willing to use the hair dryer supplied by NCL in the bath room, there is no need to bring any voltage converters and transformers.

Use your American curling iron with the American plug.

110=120, 220=240. They are the same.

If I understand all the threads on this topic, however, its the wattage that's the main issue, right? If the plug is the right one, but the wattage of the appliance is over 500, then it wont' work/will compromise the power to several cabins/potentially damage the appliance. Am I understanding this correctly? What is the wattage of the average laptop? Its all very confusing for the electronically challenged among us...

Okay, I shall attempt to provide a electricity course 101 for first graders.

The voltage varies, much like a car battery. A car battery is usually 12 volts DC, but varies a half a volt either way.Electricians say 110 and 220 volts for the outlets, but you will read in instruction manuals 120 or 240, engineers think differently. Usually the true voltage is somewhere in between. Do you understand 110-120 is the same? 220-240 is the same?

The world uses 220 volt outlets, whereas in North America we use 110 volt outlets. There are 8 different outlets used thoughout the world, 7 of which are different 220 volts outlets, plus our American outlet. Do you understand this?

Most converter transformers and converter kits provide all 8 plugs for the 8 different outlets.

Because the Spirit was built for the Asian market, the wires in the ship have narrower gauge wires than American wires. In other words thinner. Because with 220 volts the wires do not have to carry as much current as a American 110 volts to achieve the same power or do the smae work. Current is measured in amps. With more volts the world does not need as much amps. Or vice a versa, with less volts America needs more amps to make a contraption do the same work. Do you understand this?

Does it make sense a wider highway will move more cars, or current? That a narrow highway will move fewer cars, or current? Amps is a measurement of current.

Does this make sense?

To use a dual voltage hair dryer with a American plug you will need a converter or adpater to use the 220 plug when the hair dryer is switched to 220 volts.

To use a American only voltage hair dryer with a American plug you will need a converter and transformer, or a converter transformer in one box, to use the 220 plug.

What happens when you have too many cars on the narrow highway? It backs up into a parking lot, doesn't it?

Or possibly blow the circuit using too much amps on the Asian gauge wiring with the American plug to the American outlet. Its really that simple.

The reason why it doesn't matter on other cruise ships is that they were built and wired for American current. Unfortunately that is not the case with the Spirit. Or the SuperStar Virgo, her sister ship.

Its easy to switch the outlet from an Asian outlet to a American outlet. Simply buy Ameican outlet and replace the Asian outlet by rewiring it. Unfortunately, its much more difficult to replace hundreds of miles of wiring throughout the ship. But as noted, one must watch the amps.

Hello, We were off the Spirt yesterday. There is one plug in the room, near the dressing table. We plugged everything into it...hairdryer (1800 power), ipod chargers, phone chargers and straightening iron with no problems at all. You will need a converter for the other outlets but we had no need to use them. Hope this helps.

We just returned home from the Spirit yesterday as well. The hairdryer/curling iron situation was something that I had worried about ahead of time too. Here's what we did:

The 110 V outlet accommodated the razors, Nintendo DS recharger, and the Blackberry recharger. For my hair appliances, I had bought an inexpensive dual voltage hair dryer, which I set to the 220 setting, and a dual voltage curling iron which automatically recognised that it was plugged into a 220 V outlet. I had also bought a package of 220 V

plugs which contained a variety of different plug configurations. I took them all with me to be sure that at least one would fit into the ship's 220 outlet. As it turned out, we actually had two different 220 outlets above the desk in our cabin. One was the recessed, two round prongs kind that I had read about on these threads before but the other one (which I used) was a three prong one. I just left that plug plugged into the outlet all week and then just plugged my hair stuff into that when I needed to. It couldn't have been easier. The hair dryer in the bathroom is absolutely brutal and there's no way I would have used it with my long, thick hair!

Okay, I shall attempt to provide a electricity course 101 for first graders.

The voltage varies, much like a car battery. A car battery is usually 12 volts DC, but varies a half a volt either way.Electricians say 110 and 220 volts for the outlets, but you will read in instruction manuals 120 or 240, engineers think differently. Usually the true voltage is somewhere in between. Do you understand 110-120 is the same? 220-240 is the same?

The world uses 220 volt outlets, whereas in North America we use 110 volt outlets. There are 8 different outlets used thoughout the world, 7 of which are different 220 volts outlets, plus our American outlet. Do you understand this?

Most converter transformers and converter kits provide all 8 plugs for the 8 different outlets.

Because the Spirit was built for the Asian market, the wires in the ship have narrower gauge wires than American wires. In other words thinner. Because with 220 volts the wires do not have to carry as much current as a American 110 volts to achieve the same power or do the smae work. Current is measured in amps. With more volts the world does not need as much amps. Or vice a versa, with less volts America needs more amps to make a contraption do the same work. Do you understand this?

Does it make sense a wider highway will move more cars, or current? That a narrow highway will move fewer cars, or current? Amps is a measurement of current.

Does this make sense?

To use a dual voltage hair dryer with a American plug you will need a converter or adpater to use the 220 plug when the hair dryer is switched to 220 volts.

To use a American only voltage hair dryer with a American plug you will need a converter and transformer, or a converter transformer in one box, to use the 220 plug.

What happens when you have too many cars on the narrow highway? It backs up into a parking lot, doesn't it?

Or possibly blow the circuit using too much amps on the Asian gauge wiring with the American plug to the American outlet. Its really that simple.

The reason why it doesn't matter on other cruise ships is that they were built and wired for American current. Unfortunately that is not the case with the Spirit. Or the SuperStar Virgo, her sister ship.

Its easy to switch the outlet from an Asian outlet to a American outlet. Simply buy Ameican outlet and replace the Asian outlet by rewiring it. Unfortunately, its much more difficult to replace hundreds of miles of wiring throughout the ship. But as noted, one must watch the amps.

Don:

There was really no need to belittle my post. Does talking down to others somehow make you feel superior?

I did not ask how to convert my American appliances, all I wanted to know is if my British appliances will work on the Spirit. Apparently, the answer is no.

That's all that was necessary. Let's be nice to each other.

We just returned home from the Spirit yesterday as well. The hairdryer/curling iron situation was something that I had worried about ahead of time too. Here's what we did:

The 110 V outlet accommodated the razors, Nintendo DS recharger, and the Blackberry recharger. For my hair appliances, I had bought an inexpensive dual voltage hair dryer, which I set to the 220 setting, and a dual voltage curling iron which automatically recognised that it was plugged into a 220 V outlet. I had also bought a package of 220 V

plugs which contained a variety of different plug configurations. I took them all with me to be sure that at least one would fit into the ship's 220 outlet. As it turned out, we actually had two different 220 outlets above the desk in our cabin. One was the recessed, two round prongs kind that I had read about on these threads before but the other one (which I used) was a three prong one. I just left that plug plugged into the outlet all week and then just plugged my hair stuff into that when I needed to. It couldn't have been easier. The hair dryer in the bathroom is absolutely brutal and there's no way I would have used it with my long, thick hair!

Thanks, Chrislynn. I'll buy a converter and leave my British appliances at home. I have long hair too which is why I want to bring my own hairdryer. I appreciate your answer.

Thanks, Chrislynn. I'll buy a converter and leave my British appliances at home. I have long hair too which is why I want to bring my own hairdryer. I appreciate your answer.

Just off the Spirit yesterday also. I would think that your British hairdryer should be fine (230V/240V is the same as 220V) since one of the plug sockets in the cabin was the British 3 prong configuration. As mentioned above, there was also the 2 round pin socket (Asian?) which was recessed, and the 110v/500watt socket. I brought a kit of several plugs for my dual voltage hairdryer and had no problem when I set the hairdryer to 220V. I did try the hairdryer in the bathroom once - there was no way I could dry my hair with it! I did not try my 1800 watt hairdryer in the 110v socket.

I am sorry you felt like I belittled you, but I went to a level everyone could understand as simply as I could. I am sure many also were confused by earlier posts. International travel is very confusing with the eight different outlets.

Some additional information about electricity in America:

Just about every home in America is sent 440 volts of AC. Your transformer/meter hanging on a outside wall converts this to 110 volts for the household and 220 volts, usually for the dryer only.

Many businesses in America use 440 volts for commercial equipment.

Hi Don,

I appreciated your "electricity 101" course :) ! I'll probably never need it, but it's good to know!

Surfgirl, I don't think Don was trying to belittle your post, he's just trying to explain it to those of us who are not electricians! I've read enough of his helpful posts to know that he wouldn't purposely belittle anyone!

Don, any idea of why the US is the "odd man out"?

(BTW, I just did the " Can You Pass the Fifth Grade" test and missed 4 questions! I'm glad there were no questions about electricity :eek: !)

Its the battle at the start of electricity between Westinghouse and Edison. Edison thought 220 Volts DC was better and safer, Westinghouse thought AC better.Westinghouse wired the Chicago Exposition at the turn of the century, 110 Volts AC. I believe this became the standard in America. The rest of the world went with 220 Volts AC.

The problem with DC was its transmission line range, whereas AC can be stepped up and down cheaply with transformers, and had much longer transmission line range.

I think the world went with 220 Volts AC because they felt it was safer, not tto mention that the smaller gauge wiring would cost less. Similar to why the Spirit was built with narrow gauge wiring. Safer and chaaper...

Archived