Island Princess/ultimate dining/volcano

sassystyxfan

I have been researching several specific questions on Island Princess, 15-day cruise. We are leaving April 26, 2007. I have found out that formal nights are the 2nd, 11th and 14th nights. If someone who has done this cruise recently can confirm I would greatly appreciate it. I have a few other questions if you would be so kind to answer:

Our cruise itinery has changed - Maui is first, then Oahu, then Kauai, then Kona, then Hilo. So - on which night does the ship pass the erupting volcano? We would like to schedule an ultimate balcony dinner, but don't know which side the volcano will be on and which night is best to do this special dinner. HELP!

Is there anything else - a "not to miss" experience we should know about?

Come on experts - we are counting on you!!!

Thank you so much!

If they're going to do the volcano cruise by, it will be the evening you depart Kona and head to Hilo. I don't know if the captain would turn the ship around like they do on NCL, but if so, then either side would be good. If not, then the port side would be where you want to be for the volcano viewing because you would cruise from Kona down around South Point and along the southern part of the island before heading up the east to Hilo. Part of the answer to your question will be timing and only Princess pax on the exact same itinerary will be able to answer the question of when the lava starts to come into view. Also, keep in mind that how spectacular the viewing is will depend entirely on how Madam Pele is "feeling" that day and how much she wants to "show off."

As far as what else is "not to miss," that question is too broad to answer (at least for me). Also, my "must do"s might be your "is she crazy?"s. You need to do more reading here on this forum about the beaches, snorkeling, volcanoes, luaus, sightseeing drives, places to visit, and so forth. There's just too much to do to list it in a single post--which would take hours to type up anyway. Try doing advanced searches for things that interest you and maybe give us more details about what you like and dislike or do and don't do.

beachchick

We went from Kona to Hilo on our December Island cruise. The volcano viewing was about 2 AM as I recall! It was seen from the port side. Our balcony was starboard. We didn't get up to see it as we have seen it before, and there wasn't a lot of flow that particular night. If the volcano is cooperating, it is an amazing sight.

Our port order was: Kona, Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai, Lahaina,

Formal nights were: 3rd night, the night AFTER leaving Kona, and the night BEFORE Ensenada.

Of course, EVERYTHING is subject to change! It's a great cruise, and maybe we'll see you on board. We're going again on the April 26th sailing!

If you haven't already done so, come on over to the roll call board and join our Cruise Critic group there. ALOHA!

You were a BIG help! Beach Chick - you are right...that was a pretty big question...

So far we are doing the Maui Snorkel at Molokini, The Waimai Canyon/River cruise thing in Kauai and another catamaran trip in Kona - all thru Princess. We have absolutely no idea what to do during the day in Oahu. We did schedule a sunset dinner cruise, however on Navatek that evening. We thought we might just take the circle bus tour and just hop on and off the bus when we feel so inclined. What do you think?

You were a BIG help! Beach Chick - you are right...that was a pretty big question...

So far we are doing the Maui Snorkel at Molokini, The Waimai Canyon/River cruise thing in Kauai and another catamaran trip in Kona - all thru Princess. We have absolutely no idea what to do during the day in Oahu. We did schedule a sunset dinner cruise, however on Navatek that evening. We thought we might just take the circle bus tour and just hop on and off the bus when we feel so inclined. What do you think?

Do you mean taking The Bus around the island? If so, that's certainly an option. You'll spend lots of time with locals, which can be a really good thing. The only issue I would have is timing and walking to places from the bus stops. If you want to make several stops, you're going to have to be very aware of what times the bus comes through each place so that you don't get stuck somewhere waiting for the next bus. Personally, I would find it too much a waste of time to wait for the bus and all the stops. We far prefer renting cars and having control of our own destiny, so to speak. On Oahu, are in you interested beaches, historical sites, museums, shopping, some combination of the above? If you like to swim at the beach, you won't find better than Kailua (across the island from Honolulu/Waikiki). Waikiki is a great beach for swimming, relaxing, people-watching, and just getting that "touristy" thing going. The Iolani Palace tour is wonderful. Bishop Museum is nice. The Dole Plantation is a good stop (the pineapple whip is a must). Of course, there is Pearl Harbor (as well as the USS Missouri, the Bowfin, and the new Pacific Aviation Museum). The north shore may still be offering up some great waves in April (hard to say).

Molokini for a snorkel excursion is a good choice. Is your ship offering a snorkel excursion at Kona to Kealakekua Bay? If so, I highly, highly recommend that you look into doing that, either instead or or in addition to the Molokini excursion.

Are you renting cars at all? If so and if you like to snorkel, you might want to consider either bringing your own gear (if you own it) or renting it at your first port and returning it at your last port. Snorkel Bob's does this all the time. You can rent on any island and return on any island with no penalty. (They know how many people island hop and who don't want to have to do a separate rental on every island.) There are numerous excellent snorkeling spots along Maui's west and south-west coast. There have been several posts about these spots recently. Just do an advanced search for "maui snorkel" and my screen name, and go back about 3 months to start. You could also search for "snorkel" and my screen name too. We've had several in depth discussions about the good snorkeling spots on the Kona side of the BI. Many can be easily be accessed on your own. (Molokini and K-Bay are not among those; you need an excursion for either of those two.)

The river cruise deal on Kauai sounds good. One of the reasons I suggest looking into changing your Kona plans is because you are also doing this one. (But like I said, my must do's are not necessarily going to be in line with yours. )

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful time no matter what.

beachchick

p.s. to Bucky3: 2 am? Yikes! That's probably a wee bit late to be planning a romantic dinner. And you get to go again in April? You are so lucky. Have a blast.

Firstly, here is what excursions we have booked in detail (I don't understand why you are suggesting changing our Kona plans - aren't we doing two completely different snorkel trips?) - this is not sarcasm - it's an honest question and I am open to hear your answer :-D:

MAUI SNORKEL CRUISE

Explore two snorkel sites in the tropical waters around Maui.

YOUR SNORKEL CRUISE

Board a spacious motor vessel for your approximately 90-minute journey across the clear blue waters surrounding Maui. Weather permitting, your first snorkel site will be off the island of Molokini, rated as one of the top 10 snorkel sites in Hawaii. Here you can explore the tropical coral reef and watch the colorful fish. After visiting Molokini, cruise to Olowalu’s Turtle Reef, which in addition to having a great variety of tropical fish and coral, is frequented by gentle Hawaiian green sea turtles.

KAUAI

Waimea Canyon & Wailua River

Visit the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" and enjoy a performance of the Hawaiian Wedding Song at the famous Fern Grotto.

WHAT YOU VISIT

Waimea Canyon - Mark Twain described this geological wonder as the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific." View the canyon from a lookout 3,400 feet above the canyon’s floor. The dramatic red and brown volcanic slopes contrast with the lush vegetation at the bottom.

Wailua River & Fern Grotto - Board a riverboat and sail up the Wailua River to the Fern Grotto, a natural amphitheater covered with lush tropical growth. The Grotto is the stage for the performance of the "Hawaiian Wedding Song."

PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES

Opaekaa Falls - This 40-foot waterfall is framed by the Makaleha Mountains and a restored Hawaiian village.

Spouting Horn - Hawaiians believed that the loud sound made by the blowhole was the angry roar of the lizard goddess Kaikapu, imprisoned in a submerged lava tube by a resourceful fisherman.

KONA

Catamaran Sail & Snorkel

Board a catamaran and sail the Kona Coast to Pawai Bay, where you explore an underwater paradise of coral reefs and arches.

YOUR SAIL AND SNORKEL ADVENTURE

Board your motorcoach for the transfer from the pier to Honokohau Marine, where you board your sail-powered catamaran. Set sail for Pawai Bay within the Queen Liliuokalani Trust Lands. Enjoy free time to snorkel, exploring coral encrusted arches, ledges and caves. Look for tropical reef fish, manta rays, eagle rays and, possibly, endangered green sea turtles. Deli sandwiches, fruit, and beverages are served onboard. Souvenir t-shirts and caps are available for purchase. All snorkeling equipment, flotation devices for beginners and non-swimmers, and professional supervision included.

Secondly, as far as Oahu is concerned, I am from San Francisco (was born there). I don't want to rent a car and don't want to drive in traffic or even BE in crowds or traffic. That is a must not do for me because it wouldn't feel like a relaxing, water-based vacation day. That is what "I" am about on vacation - in, on or by water. I am very interested in spending a relaxing day on the beach. In fact, that is really the only thing I wanted to do there because I won't have any time to do this at the other ports. What is Hawaii without a day on the beach! HA HA! The one you mentioned at Kailua sounds like exactly the thing I'm looking for. I would love more information on this. How do I get there? Is it less busy than Waikiki? Is it convenient to get from there to Aloha Tower where our sunset dinner cruise is by 4:30 p.m.?

YOU ARE THE BEST! Keep those detailed emails coming!

The Fern Grotto where the wedding song is sung has been closed due to the heavy rains a year ago. I have not heard that it has reopened. On our December trip it was not open, but they still offered the river cruise.

Firstly, here is what excursions we have booked in detail (I don't understand why you are suggesting changing our Kona plans - aren't we doing two completely different snorkel trips?) - this is not sarcasm - it's an honest question and I am open to hear your answer :-D:

MAUI SNORKEL CRUISE

Explore two snorkel sites in the tropical waters around Maui.

YOUR SNORKEL CRUISE

Board a spacious motor vessel for your approximately 90-minute journey across the clear blue waters surrounding Maui. Weather permitting, your first snorkel site will be off the island of Molokini, rated as one of the top 10 snorkel sites in Hawaii. Here you can explore the tropical coral reef and watch the colorful fish. After visiting Molokini, cruise to Olowalu’s Turtle Reef, which in addition to having a great variety of tropical fish and coral, is frequented by gentle Hawaiian green sea turtles.

KAUAI

Waimea Canyon & Wailua River

Visit the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" and enjoy a performance of the Hawaiian Wedding Song at the famous Fern Grotto.

WHAT YOU VISIT

Waimea Canyon - Mark Twain described this geological wonder as the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific." View the canyon from a lookout 3,400 feet above the canyon’s floor. The dramatic red and brown volcanic slopes contrast with the lush vegetation at the bottom.

Wailua River & Fern Grotto - Board a riverboat and sail up the Wailua River to the Fern Grotto, a natural amphitheater covered with lush tropical growth. The Grotto is the stage for the performance of the "Hawaiian Wedding Song."

PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES

Opaekaa Falls - This 40-foot waterfall is framed by the Makaleha Mountains and a restored Hawaiian village.

Spouting Horn - Hawaiians believed that the loud sound made by the blowhole was the angry roar of the lizard goddess Kaikapu, imprisoned in a submerged lava tube by a resourceful fisherman.

KONA

Catamaran Sail & Snorkel

Board a catamaran and sail the Kona Coast to Pawai Bay, where you explore an underwater paradise of coral reefs and arches.

YOUR SAIL AND SNORKEL ADVENTURE

Board your motorcoach for the transfer from the pier to Honokohau Marine, where you board your sail-powered catamaran. Set sail for Pawai Bay within the Queen Liliuokalani Trust Lands. Enjoy free time to snorkel, exploring coral encrusted arches, ledges and caves. Look for tropical reef fish, manta rays, eagle rays and, possibly, endangered green sea turtles. Deli sandwiches, fruit, and beverages are served onboard. Souvenir t-shirts and caps are available for purchase. All snorkeling equipment, flotation devices for beginners and non-swimmers, and professional supervision included.

Secondly, as far as Oahu is concerned, I am from San Francisco (was born there). I don't want to rent a car and don't want to drive in traffic or even BE in crowds or traffic. That is a must not do for me because it wouldn't feel like a relaxing, water-based vacation day. That is what "I" am about on vacation - in, on or by water. I am very interested in spending a relaxing day on the beach. In fact, that is really the only thing I wanted to do there because I won't have any time to do this at the other ports. What is Hawaii without a day on the beach! HA HA! The one you mentioned at Kailua sounds like exactly the thing I'm looking for. I would love more information on this. How do I get there? Is it less busy than Waikiki? Is it convenient to get from there to Aloha Tower where our sunset dinner cruise is by 4:30 p.m.?

YOU ARE THE BEST! Keep those detailed emails coming!

Don't worry, I'm not the least bit offended and now I certainly see where my confusion entered into it. When you mentioned "catamaran" the first time, I envisioned simply a boat trip. Now that I know it includes snorkeling, well...never mind. You've made good choices.:)

I can certainly understand why you prefer not to rent a car. If you want a great beach day away from the crowds, then IMO Kailua is a great choice. It's a community beach park with facilities, a marked swimming area (so the windsurfers don't bonk into the swimmers), clear water with easy entry, soft white sand, and it's fairly long. The southern part of the beach has facilities and a snack bar, but we've not really looked at what they offer. The center part of the beach (which I think has it's own name) is quieter. There are no resorts and it's rarely even remotely crowded (and never as busy as Waikiki, which is a tourist-commercial beach). There aren't a whole bunch of places to eat and drink overlooking the ocean. For us, that's great. We like to take a picnic or pick up something on the way, stash it and some beverages in a cooler, and we're good to go. I am certain that there are places close by, but we've never stopped at any of them. I'm remembering either a little eatery or a little grocery/general store right by the beach, but the image is pretty hazy. If you're feeling adventurous, you could walk down (south) through the neighborhood along the water to Lanikai Beach, which is one of those "picture perfect, always in the top ten" Hawaii beaches.

I wouldn't really call it "convenient" to Aloha Tower because it is across the island. OTOH, it's not like the distance is all that far. What are your port hours? If you get in fairly early and want to head straight to the beach, you could get off the ship and walk out to the bus stop to catch a cross-island bus. Then just plan your return based on when you want to be back in Honolulu to freshen up before your sunset cruise.

Kailua is on the windward side of Oahu, almost directly "across" from Waikiki and would probably take an hour or so by bus. I'm guessing that you might have to transfer, but I don't know. Here's The Bus website, which will have routes and schedules:

http://www.thebus.org/

Another option would be to take a taxi, but that would get pretty expensive, IMO, because it's about 15 miles from Honolulu to Kailua.

If you don't want to go that far, you might want to consider going south of Waikiki Beach to Kuhio or Queen Kapiolani beaches (which are on the way to Diamond Head). They won't be quiet by any means, but they are not usually the hub-bub that is Waikiki.

You could go further toward the Kahala area and go to Diamond Head Beach Park or maybe Waialae. I don't know those beaches well, but they are easily accessible on the bus routes. For that matter, you could just grab a taxi and ask the driver to take you to the Kahala (used to be Kahala Mandarin Oriental) Hotel. I don't really know the beach there, but you'd have the restaurants and bars of the hotel (and you could wander the grounds to watch the dolphins of DolphinQuest playing). All beaches in Hawaii are public. (All of them--When Bill Gates basically wanted Lanai as a private island for his wedding and tried to have people stopped from going to the island or tried to force people from the beach, the locals were justifiably up in arms because they fought long and hard for public beach access.) So, while you couldn't use the resort pools and so forth, you could plop your mat/towel down anywhere on the beach and relax.

Hope that helps a bit. We love relaxing on the beach in Hawaii; I'm sure you will too.:D

beachchick

I really appreciate all of your time and suggestions! How nice of you to take the time to enlighten everyone. You have given us all the information we need to make a decision which is...we're gonna spend the time in Oahu on a beach. We thought we'd wait until we get there and see if we feel like traveling to Kailua or just parking ourselves on Waikiki. I have never been there, we like that there are restaurants, watering holes, etc. there and just the experience of it all will be good. If we feel like a quieter day...we'll go to Kailua. We're playing it by the seat of our pants!

Again - thanks so much!

IMHO you've made a good choice. I can't imagine going to Hawaii and not spending some time in and/or on Waikiki! International Market Place is there too, and though it can be a zoo at times, it's a fun spot. Kailua is lovely but again in MO it is more for repeat visitors. Enjoy the hustle bustle of Waikiki !

IMHO you've made a good choice. I can't imagine going to Hawaii and not spending some time in and/or on Waikiki! International Market Place is there too, and though it can be a zoo at times, it's a fun spot. Kailua is lovely but again in MO it is more for repeat visitors. Enjoy the hustle bustle of Waikiki !

Right on. You know, I always forget that I fell in love with Kailua because we stayed in Kailua for a week. We were about a 3 minute walk from the beach, so you can imagine how convenient that was. I'm also certain that part of the appeal (aside from the fact that it truly is an excellent beach) is that it was the first beach in Hawaii that I ever stuck my toe in (so to speak). It was fall, so the water was quite warm. That soft white sand, the gentle warm waves--yep, I was hooked from the get-go. I tend to think about that (rather than the reasonable logistics for a 1-day visit to Oahu).:p

For a first time visitor who truly does want a quieter beach time then Waikiki is likely to offer, I still think the Gold Coast area can be great. OTOH, I'm with you that Waikiki really is a "must experience" beach--and DH and I do not enjoy crowded beaches. It's super easy to spend a whole day there just hanging, walking, swimming, watching the surfers and boats, grabbing a bite and beverage at one of the numerous options at the resorts (with a beach view, if you please). Faves for lunch: House Without a Key at Halekulani (the fruit salad plate thing is fabulous, as is the curry wrap); the casual place at the Moana (sorry, the name is escaping me), also great fruit plate, sandwiches, and nut bread; Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar (french fries and a mai tai--breakfast of champions). I think Dukes is open for lunch downstairs? If so, yum-yum-yum. Most resorts have their own "signature" cocktail, which is usually quite good. IMHO, it's never a bad idea to have a cold and fruity something while a breeze blows over you as you watch the beach and ocean. (I always rationalize my mid-morning breakfast at the RH Mai Tai Bar as a "tradition" started on our first visit together with my DH.:rolleyes: I simply must do it once when we are on Oahu.)

sassystyxfan: Bucky is absolutely right that Kailua is usually a beach for repeat visitors because it takes time and effort to get there and because Waikiki (along with Kuhio and Queen Kapiolani) is easy to get to, classic Hawaii "tourist" beach fun, and full of life. It's just that whenever anyone asks about a quiet beach for swimming, Kailua is the first thing that immediately pops into my mind.

The water at Waikiki is calm and warm with a gentle shore break. The people watching is quite entertaining. There are any number of great places to plop down and enjoy yourself. (We're partial to the area around the RH and the Moana.)

And I hope you have a fabulous day no matter what you end up deciding. I like that you're willing to just "wing it" and see what you want to do that day, rather than obsesssively planning every single minute. You're sure to have fun.:D

beachchick

I know just how you feel about Kailua. We've never stayed over there, but we did a pretty thorough excursion along the coast a couple of years ago, stopping at those tiny "beach access" walkways in the residential section of that area including Lanikai. I'd love to stay over there some time. Maybe in my next life!!

On Maui we've stayed at the Napili Surf a few times and loved it there. Also love lunch at the Seahouse restaurant at the resort on the other end of that bay - Napili Sunset I think is the resort name? Then we found Kapalua Bay. So now when we're there just for the day, we bee line it up there, and then walk over to the Seahouse for yummy crab and avacado sandwiches along with a Mai Tai, of course. Love it up there.

House Without a Key on Waikiki at the Halekulani is one of our favorites too. We stayed at the Halekulani many long years ago before the renovation, and our room was right next to their tiny beach. DH worked the island, and I could sit on the sand right outside our room and hear the phone ring when he called to say when he'd be back! What memories!! Now that's at least our lunch spot when we're there for the day - or, as did in December, for sunset and Mai Tais on their lovely quiet patio. It's always amazing to me the peace and quiet found there with the bustle of Waikiki just a block away.

Beachchick - You REALLY should put your writing talent to work for you, and write and publish some daily itineraries for first time and return Hawaii visitors! That would keep you occupied until and beyond your next visit!

Aloha!

Archived