Crowne Plaza San Pedro or Long Beach Renaissance?

ms.sunburn

I have reservations at both of these hotels and I can't decide which one to stay at and which one to cancel. Here are the pros and cons:

Crowne Plaza San Pedro

- Free suite for a night (we're using our reward points).

- Free shuttle in the morning to the pier.

- Free parking but we have to return our rental car to Long Beach.

Renaissance Long Beach

- In downtown Long Beach - lots of choices for restaurants, etc.

- Nice hotel in a decent area.

- Close to Hertz where we are returning our rental car.

I've heard that both hotels are undergoing renovations, the Crowne Plaza to the pool area and the Renaissance to the lobby.

Has anyone stayed at either one of these hotels recently? Anyone familiar with the Long Beach/San Pedro areas? Which would you choose? Thanks.

Our TA stayed at the Crowne Plaza on Saturday night and reported that all of the food service venues (restaurant, lounge and room service) were closed for renovation. They are supposed to be completed by March 20, so it may be a moot point by the time you travel, but you also might want to confirm that they are finished. They did have a coffeemaker in their room, but would have had to take the hotel shuttle to Starbuck's if they wanted anything besides basic coffee.

If you're just staying overnight & heading to the port, I'd probably go with the Crowne Plaza (which is just up the street from Enterprise Car rental, so that's an option too, BTW). If you're planning on spending some time exploring the local area, Long Beach would get my vote because there's more to see in the immediate area.

Hmmm....still don't know what to do. I don't think we're going to rent from Enterprise because we got a really good deal from Hertz and even with cab fare back to San Pedro it beats the Enterprise rate. I guess free will win unless there's a compelling reason to pick the Renaissance or a compelling enough reason not to pick the Crowne Plaza!

Hi,

For our Christmas 2006 cruise on Vision OTS we stayed at the Long Beach Renaissance in downtown Long Beach. The main reason I picked it was because it was downtown and close to many restaurants and the bay area. The morning before our cruise we went to the Aquarium and did a one hour Harbor tour. We then took a cab to San Pedro. It didn't take very long and was around $25 with tip.

Julie

Archived