St. John Canada?

I'll assume you mean Saint John, NB on the Victory in the summer time. Just so you know, Saint John is never abbreviated to St. John to avoid confusion with St. John's, NL.

We went to Saint John last July. There really didn't seem to be much to the city itself, but consider a tour to St. Martin's or elsewhere along the Bay of Fundy.

If you want, I can email you a link to a bunch of pictures we took in Saint John and St. Martin's last July.

If you're looking for a lunch place, you might want to check out some of the places near the City Market, a short walk from the ship. There's also Steamer's across the street from where the ship docks - we had lunch there in 2004 during our Victory cruise, and they had really good seafood. For "fun" places, I'd check out the reversing rapids tours.

Hi, this is my home town so it's hard to see it as a "tourist"

city. Anyway, it's full of history, the first incorporated city in

Canada and lots of other interesting facts. There is a horse

and trolley tour that will take you thru the city streets

with knowledgeable tour guides and of course the jet boats

at Reversing Falls.

Your ship will dock at the bottom of King Street which is the

"main drag" of the uptown area. You will be easily able to walk

uptown, visit the City Market, have a nice seafood lunch if

you wish and visit Market Square. There is not a lot of serious

shopping uptown, for that you have to go to McAllister Place

which is approx 3 miles on the east side of town, easily accessible

by taxi for a reasonable rate. Also, there's a WalMart across from

the Mall if you need a WalMart fix.

There's a Jewish Museum uptown as well that will be outlined in

info you will receive re the city - very good.

I think you will find that Saint John is a very cruise friendly city

and you will have a nice welcome when you arrive.

Any specific questions?

St. Martins which is on the Bay of Fundy and the Fundy Trail

is a beautiful village with lots of picture opportunities.

Nancy

We rented a car at Avis (just a few blocks from the dock) and drove to reversing falls, as well as the Irving Nature park. It was fun to see the falls in both the forward and reverse modes, as well as to hike along the bay of fundy as the tide changed. We had planned to drive a little farther afield to a little fishing village with some sea caves, but the weather was foggy, so we opted to stay in the area...and we had a great day.

Also visited the Jewish museum, the market, and had a nice seafood lunch.

Saint John is in New Brunswick.

St. John's is in Newfoundland.

Both are in Canada. Both are port cities. Both get cruise ship visits. But Saint John (note, they really don't like it abbreviated) is where most ships dock. St. John's seems to get more visits from Trans-atlantics.

Saint John is in New Brunswick.

St. John's is in Newfoundland.

St. John's seems to get more visits from Trans-atlantics.

And has the most and greatest bars in a city I've ever seen. George Street festival an experience to say the least.

St. Martins is about 45 minutes at the most from Saint John Center

and you will be driving through a wooded area until you get to the

Bay of Fundy. It will be worth it. Check out the tours available,

maybe there is one for St. Martins or the "Fundy Trail" if you are

unsure about driving.

One thing about the Maritimes in general, if you need help, just

ask. You will have more people falling over themselves trying to

fix the problem than you can imagine. (A good thing.)

Enjoy!

Avis is only a few blocks from the dock? So do you think it feasible to rent a car and drive to St. Martin? We have only about 5 hours total to make the trip.

Avis is very close and convenient...but it looks like it is only open limited hours on the weekends (although this info is from 2 years ago, so you might want to call them for updated information). We had orignally planned to to drive to St Andrew as well, but didn't chance it with the foggy weather.

Avis4 Water Street, Saint John, NB E2L 4Z8 , Canada

506-634-7750

Sun 10:00AM-02:00PM; Mon-Fri 08:00AM-05:30PM; Sat 09:00AM-02:00PM

Absolutely!!--I live in Saint John and love to take the drive out St. Martins. Be sure to take good walking shoes if you want to walk out to the sea caves at low tide as the beach is quite rocky. Also, there is a little stream that has to be forded halfway out to the caves but there is usually an old board that someone has left there to use. There is no charge to go out there. Pay attention to the status of the tide. The tidal range is from 30 to 40 feet between high and low so check on the safe times to visit the caves. It changes day by day.

After you see the caves there is a small canteen type place to get a bite to eat right by the parking lot. You can also walk back up to the village and enjoy the covered bridges and small craft stores.

If you drive from St. Martins a little further along the Fundy Trail to Salmon River there is a visitor's centre and a picturesque area to take a stoll. Again--anyone would be happy to direct you.

Enjoy your trip

There is a lighthouse just outside St. Martins with beautiful views. Anyone would be happy to direct you. You will find people in New Brunswick to be very friendly and helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

In all honestly you would be better visiting the Fundy Trail in St. Martins.

http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/welcome.htm

There are lots of hiking trail and look-outs in the the bay of fundy.

Fundy National Park is about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 drive from Saint John. St. Martins is 3/4 hr

Fundy National Park

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nb/fundy/default.asp

Hi, this is my home town so it's hard to see it as a "tourist"

city. Anyway, it's full of history, the first incorporated city in

Canada and lots of other interesting facts. There is a horse

and trolley tour that will take you thru the city streets

with knowledgeable tour guides and of course the jet boats

at Reversing Falls.

Your ship will dock at the bottom of King Street which is the

"main drag" of the uptown area. You will be easily able to walk

uptown, visit the City Market, have a nice seafood lunch if

you wish and visit Market Square. There is not a lot of serious

shopping uptown, for that you have to go to McAllister Place

which is approx 3 miles on the east side of town, easily accessible

by taxi for a reasonable rate. Also, there's a WalMart across from

the Mall if you need a WalMart fix.

There's a Jewish Museum uptown as well that will be outlined in

info you will receive re the city - very good.

I think you will find that Saint John is a very cruise friendly city

and you will have a nice welcome when you arrive.

Any specific questions?

St. Martins which is on the Bay of Fundy and the Fundy Trail

is a beautiful village with lots of picture opportunities.

Nancy

You forgot one important thing Belleisle Gal our best kept secret the beautiful Belleisle Bay. Oops I let it slip out. ;) :)

I am traveling in June to Saint John with my 76 yr old mother. She uses a rollator (a walker with a seat that folds up) to walk, and even with that she can not walk very far. She could never walk from the ship into town! The trolley tour sound perfect but the Carnival website said the trolley can not accomodate strollers and wheelchairs...so I am assuming it will not take her folding walker either.

Has anyone had this problem before? I know that last year when we were there, they had horse drawn trolleys at the pier... I know that she would love that!

The time is closing in and I would like to have something planned soon... Can someone help!!!

We will be traveling there in August with our four kids. What would be some fun things to do with them. We enjoy biking, kayaking, the beach and those type of things. I LOVE LOBSTER and so do the kids!

What are tempertures like the beginning of Aug. We live in the mtns of NC but still have temps in the 90's for summer. Do we need sweat shirts, sweaters ?

Anyone been on Victory for this cruise??

Does anyone know the best way to get to the jet boat ride? I can't do the ship tour because they don't allow anyone under 13 and my 11 year old wants to do it. Is it an expensive taxi ride or or is there some kind of shuttle or bus that takes you there?

Does anyone know the best way to get to the jet boat ride? I can't do the ship tour because they don't allow anyone under 13 and my 11 year old wants to do it. Is it an expensive taxi ride or or is there some kind of shuttle or bus that takes you there?

It is about a 5-10 min drive from the cruise terminal, or a 45 min walk along harbour passage, a walking path. you may be looking $10 max to take a taxi

Ship docks on water St.

Map2007Large.gif

Is there anywhere to fish? My hubby wants to find a fishing charter and I have googled for hours and can't find one. HELP! It's a fishing village, there has to be a charter somewhere!

• 2 weeks later...
We will be traveling there in August with our four kids. What would be some fun things to do with them. We enjoy biking, kayaking, the beach and those type of things. I LOVE LOBSTER and so do the kids!

What are tempertures like the beginning of Aug. We live in the mtns of NC but still have temps in the 90's for summer. Do we need sweat shirts, sweaters ?

Anyone been on Victory for this cruise??

The temperatures can vary greatly in August, depending on whether it is foggy. It can be very warm ( in the 80's) and it can be quite cool--in the 60's and all on the same day!!!! My best advice is to layer your clothing and start out in the AM bundled up and be prepared to strip off when the fog burns off later in the day. If it is raining it will be cool all day. If you are taking an excursion away from the coast, it will be quite warm all day.

One of our local sayings is "If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change"

Your children would probably enjoy taking the Jet Boat Ride at the Reversing Falls Park. It is also an enjoyable diversion to take the Harbour Passage walk along the harbour. It starts on the boardwalk behind the Hilton Hotel and continues on a red paved path along the harbour.

The children might also enjoy the sea caves on the beach at St. Martins, which is about a 45 minute car ride from Saint John. There is a farm a few minutes outside St. Martins which has miniature horses and they give rides. Anyone in the village would be happy to direct you there. There are also a couple of covered bridges in the village which are quite picturesque

For your lobster try Billy's Seafood which is located at the head of the Saint John City Market. The Market is an easy walk from the ship and not to be confused with Market Square which is also just down from the ship---- Steamers Restaurant by the ship dock will be crowded with passengers and service may take a while.

Is there anywhere to fish? My hubby wants to find a fishing charter and I have googled for hours and can't find one. HELP! It's a fishing village, there has to be a charter somewhere!

Saint John is an industrial city--not a fishing village. The type of deep sea fishing you are thinking of--with a pole off the back of a boat--is not done here. The commercial fishery uses seine nets and weirs. They also set lobster traps and drag for scallops. Recreational fishing is mainly from private boats in the rivers and lakes and for that, you need a fishing license. There are salmon fishing camps on the Miramichi and Restagouche Rivers but that is a whole other vacation and very expensive--as well as being far from here. You might find a fisherman willing to take you to sea on his boat for a few hours in St. Martins and Dipper Harbour--which are fishing villages not too far from Saint John.

Archived