suggestions and organization tips desperatly needed for inside cabins..

crissyp

Okay...scenario.....4 - 19 yr old girls sharing an inside cabin:eek: :eek: 9 nights:eek: :eek:

I've been reading all the packing lists and the four of them can't possibly fit all those things in an inside cabin. How many over the door shoe holders, power strips, pop up laundry baskets should they really bring??

I'm going to suggest they share bathroom products, and to try and bring only 1 suitcase each...Any other suggestions???

Can you imagine all the shoes...OMG!

Would appreciate any grea ideas

thanks

crissy:)

You really don't need most of the things on that seem to make it onto the "must have" lists. The pop-up laundry hampers are nice, but you can also put dirty clothes back into an empty suitcase every day and save on packing later.

But, 4 19-YO girls in a single cabin? That's approaching critical mass, I think! :)

Speaking from experience here, pack the suitcase and when you are done take half of it out. My first cruise I took too many clothes and found out I didn't wear half of them. There are alot of things on the so-called packing lists that I would never take and I manage just fine. I think there was a thread done yesterday or the day before that said it perfectly. She bought all of this stuff that was recommended and did not need half of it. Search on the last couple of pages. Good luck

Marilyn

The girls will need a clock/travel alarm.

The room will be completely dark... (when the lights are off)

and they will be without the ability to know what time it is.

I think sharing products is a good idea.

Sharing a hairdryer, straightener, etc.. too.

does anyone know how many outlets there are in an inside cabin??

I'm thinking 4 battery chargers, 4 cell phone chargers, 4 ipod chargers will most likely be used the most.

thanks again!

Yes, I said one outlet that I can recall. That is why the top thing on their packing list should be an extension cord. I've used the over the door shoe thing but not much. However, with 4 girls it may come in as a life saver. One should be enough.

Absolutely share products. There is shampoo, soap and lotion in the cabin and it's not bad quality -- they can always ask for more from the cabin steward since there will be 4 of them. A lighted travel alarm is a good idea and I agree with packing dirty clothes in their suitcases.

Why not have a pre-cruise competition as to who can get their luggage down to the lightest and smallest? A $20 prize will buy the winner a couple of specialty coffees at least or pay for their soda sticker.

does anyone know how many outlets there are in an inside cabin??

I'm thinking 4 battery chargers, 4 cell phone chargers, 4 ipod chargers will most likely be used the most.

thanks again!

In most cabins there are two. One by the desk and one in the bathroom. There may be more but I sure cannot think of anymore than that.

marilyn

We were just in our first inside cabin in Jan. I think the outlet in the bathroom is only for electric shavers (could be wrong). The hairdryer is in the drawer of the vanity!! So no need to bring one (if you girls can share) We did bring a travel alarm, but I had a wake up call every morning. These cabins are tight spaced!!! The less luggage the better (you don't need all those shoes) :) I hope you all are still friends after sharing the cabin:D Have a great time.

There usually is just the one outlet by the desk..note once they leave port the cell phones won't pick up a signel..turn them off and put them away..will save some outlets. Spring for some regular batteries verses the rechargables for the cameras..I found the rechargeables never really got a full charge on the ship.

The hairdry in the room is not strong so I would suggest that they bring one..especially if there is alot of long hair involved.

The best way with an inside cabin to know if it is daytime or night is to leave the TV on the webcam and turn down the sound, that way they will be able to tell what time of day it is outside. It also makes a good nitelite.

Make sure they pack extra hangers!

No need to pack extra hangers, they can just ask the room steward and they will be supplied all they need without having to drag them along.

love the competition idea! The extra hangers will come in handy too!!

Could they request extra's or do you think they should pack their own??

Now, if they only had the same size foot ( for all those shoes) they might have a chance:D My mini-suite is on the same deck but we're far aft from them...They are all the way up front:D But something tells me I might be seeing my daughter more then I think;)

Thanks again,

Crissy

If your suitcases dont fit under the bed, try using suitcases that fit into each other. If that doesn't work then just get you cabin steward to take them away to store until packing day at the end of the cruise.

A not commonly known extra power socket is behind the bed used for one of the bedside lamps. They'll lose one of the many lamps but gain a valuable extra socket:cool:

I also agree wit Toto's shipcam-TV idea, it works for us although the TV brightness can be a little annoying in the darkened room - maybe take some mini-curtains to put in front of the TV-porthole and draw them at night :D

On the Diamond and Island we found we could be suitcases in the bottom of the closets. If you have to pick up the end of the beds and put the suitcase under it, or press down on the nearly empty suitcase and slide it under the bed; which is what we do. Bring a short 2 foot long multi outlet cord or a 6 outlet cord. Best is to try to charge too much at once. Depending on where they are going is what sets the amount of clothes they bring.

When we were on the Island, we stashed both suitcases under the beds -- with some of our clothing still inside -- as well as the plastic crates we took for our bottled water, Pepsi, Vitamin water, etc. Hubby took a duffle bag that we used as our laundry bag that stayed in the closet until we did laundry. We didn't bring an extension cord -- occasionally we plugged in the digital camera battery, h's shaver, or my cell phone to charge up, but not all the time. Hubby also plugged in a little coffee pot...but unplugged it when not in use. The only time it was crowded for the three of us was if we needed to get something out of a suitcase.

Bed Bath and beyond type stores sell these things that hang in the closet and store shoes, they fold down very small for travel. I love taking one of these on a cruise. They can store all their shoes, handbags, etc in it. Also last cruise, I bought rolling duffel bags that were HUGE and very cheap on ebags.com. They folded completly flat under the beds.

Good Luck

Elissa

duffle bags sound like a great idea!! I will make sure to tell them to look for that "secret" outlet too!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions:D

Crissy

PS...I'm sure I am going to appreciate my mini suite after seeing all four of them in that inside;)

The reason the outlet in the bathroom is "for electric razors only" is that it only works when the light it on. They could probably leave the bathroom light on and plug in a power strip to recharge all the necessities of life while they're out of the cabin, but I wouldn't guarantee a room steward wouldn't turn off the light while he's straightening the room.

KD

The reason the outlet in the bathroom is "for electric razors only" is that it only works when the light it on. They could probably leave the bathroom light on and plug in a power strip to recharge all the necessities of life while they're out of the cabin, but I wouldn't guarantee a room steward wouldn't turn off the light while he's straightening the room.

KD

I suspect the outlet is labeled "electric shavers only" as it is only designed for a very low power item and nothing to do with the outlet being connected to a switch. My electric razor uses 7 watts of power per the sticker on it, my camera charger uses .5 amps - about 50 watts if my memory of the conversion is correct. Plugging in higher power items such as a hair dryer (1200 watts or more) could blew the circuit breaker or worse (cause a fire). People need to be careful when plugging in a power strip or extension cord and then trying to plug 5 or 6 things into one outlet to not overload the circuit.

do you guys think that all four(probably large) suitcases will be able to fit under the beds??

Yes!

The things we do in our college years! I bet these girls are going to have the time of their life!

Although I am a man. I stayed in an inside cabin with 4 of us last year. There was plenty of room, but like I said I am a man, not a girl. There are about 7 drawers, 5 shelves, a large overhead shelf over the large closet and about 20 hangers. Store the suitcases under the bed! Pop up hampers are a nice idea, but I get the feeling they may get in the way. Maybe bring some plastic bags and put your laundry on one side of your suitcase in that. I would say, try to limit the shoes!

Go for it, girlfriends! Those inside cabins are small, but not much worse than a freshman dorm room. It will help if you get your next-day clothes out the night before, so you can get dressed quickly and get out to have fun! Otherwise, confusion in the morning, and you can't go get breakfast in you bathrobes. Don't even THINK about room service!:eek: It would just add to the mess. Find some quiet decks where you can go when the confusion gets to be too much. You will all have memories for a lifetime - that is, if you are still speaking to each other by the end of the cruise!:p

Take a power strip for more plug space, use the XXlrg Ziploc bags found at Walmart for storing dirty,wet clothes,they take up no room and you can expel air with a straw and really flatten clothes, dollar store carries door shoe holders. Use the morning wakeup call to make sure you don't miss anything. Inside cabins are very restful b/c they are so dark. Leave the bathroom light on so you can find it in the dark. You will love this adventure.

Sailors2

Archived